What TV to buy

TomJohn

Standard Member
I have about £500 to spend. I have Sky HD and watch sports and movies. I don't have Blue Ray yet but will get one once I have the TV. 40-42 inch in size would be best. I sit about 8 ft from the TV. I'd prefer full HD. I don't know if that is enough money to get a TV that can access internet, not really a big issue for me. Any suggestions???

John

vickster

Distinguished Member
How do you want to access the Internet and do what? In built browsers are pretty basic and clunky I think. How there are TVs with built in wifi so you can connect your laptop. Many TVs have smart features so you can access YouTube, Facebook etc. Samsung tend to be most advanced in this regard

On a lower end led LCD, the sport could be the bigger issue as motion blur is common

TomJohn

Standard Member
Is motion blur linked to the refresh rate, I also see the phrase motion clarity index or clear motion rate used. Should I be aiming for better than 50hz.
As for the internet I don't really know if I would use it much, I don't watch much Iplayer, don't have Netflix etc, Sky is enough, and if I want to watch Youtube I turn the lap top on. Is the phrase to look for Smart TV?

J

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yes - Smart TV or apps

There are types of motion processing and helpfully all of the manufacturers call it something different - as far as I know most LCD screens are 50hz with processing with a higher number - Sony always seemed to have the better processing, followed by Panasonic but you'll pay for it

If you want better motion handling - look at plasma, but you'll need to increase your budget by £150-200 realistically for full HD

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung & LG UK TV Prices 2023; Amazon Fire TV Cube; Calibration Tools of the Trade + AV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom