• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What tv to buy?

IMoo

Standard Member
I have a budget of £1200ish, and was wondering what tv people would recommend for this price. Plasma, LED, LCD? Make etc, etc? Cheers in advance

discover

How long is a piece of string??

who is the tv for, what will you be using it for, what will it's main use be and what is the viewing distance??

audiphile76

Get a plasma, make: Panasonic and size as big as your budget can afford.

Panasonic 50G10 would be a nice start :cool:

IMoo

Standard Member
Tv is for viewing purposes in the living room, not gaming. Sky+HD to follow, appy days.Viewing distance about 7-8ft. Wuz thinkin 40-42" would be a nice size. Wuz looking at some of the new Samsung LEDs.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I have been very unimpressed with the LED Samsungs I have seen (have a lot of picture issues around moving items). I will certainly not be rushing to buy one.
For your budget and usage I would recommend plasma (although I could be slightly biased since I own a plasma and I am sure if you asked the same question in the LED forum you would get the opposite answer).
If you are going 42" with your viewing distance then you will not really see the benefit of a 1080p screen so could save some money and just get a HD Ready screen (this will also look better on SD content material which there is a lot off even on Sky HD). If you can squeeze a 50" screen into your room then a 1080p screen would probably be of benefit (would also give a great viewing experience with HD content although could be a little compromised on SD stuff).

rewerb

Tv is for viewing purposes in the living room, not gaming. Sky+HD to follow, appy days.Viewing distance about 7-8ft. Wuz thinkin 40-42" would be a nice size. Wuz looking at some of the new Samsung LEDs.
Not even sure you need a 1080p panel with no 1080p source. You could save some money and get the Panny P42X10 or 50X10 (£550-675). The G10 will have better blacks and colours though.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom