What TV should I get? Budget Listed

Shaikoro

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

TLDR;
  • Live in Denmark
  • Flexible Budget 3500-5000DKK (565$-810$)
  • Bright room
  • Seated 210-230cm from TV
  • Around 55” would be ideal I think
  • Main uses are Netflix and PS5 gaming
  • Want to mount it on the wall
I live in Denmark so the biggest stores here are:
Power.dk
Elgiganten.dk

I’ve recently moved apartments, and I am now looking for a TV to have in my living room. I don’t know much about them so I am hoping to get some help from some of you!

It’s a very bright living room, and I will be seated around 210-230cm away from the TV. I was thinking a TV of around 55” would be appropriate(?).
The TV will mainly be used for watching movies and series (Netflix, HBO etc). I also plan to get a PS5 sometime down the line when It’s both affordable and available.

Very rarely watch sports, but this is not important if it greatly effects the price.

My budget is ideally between 3500-5000dkk (565$-810$), but can be flexible if it’s a great value difference.

Hope you guys can advise me! Thanks in advance

TVs that start to cope with glare well are ones over budget I'm afraid. If you can find the Hisense U7Q it can get twice as bright as many TVs costing more...or Samsung Q70T (may also be Q77T) it can get a little brighter than competitors.

Beware of viewing angles too, the best TVs now tend to have narrow viewing angles, so your choices can change dramatically if you are searching for a TV with good viewing angles.

Alright, thanks! I will consider getting some darker curtains in that case (one wall is basically a big window, hence the bright room).

Would this be good value even though it’s not on sale? Is this a good time to buy a TV?

Given my budget I don’t think I can afford to be too picky - But the couch is 210cm wide, and situated 210-230cm from the TV; I also plan to use a wall mount that can turn , in case I want to watch tv while cooking.

TVs that start to cope with glare well are ones over budget I'm afraid. If you can find the Hisense U7Q it can get twice as bright as many TVs costing more...or Samsung Q70T (may also be Q77T) it can get a little brighter than competitors.

Beware of viewing angles too, the best TVs now tend to have narrow viewing angles, so your choices can change dramatically if you are searching for a TV with good viewing angles.
Forgot to make it a reply! Look above if possible, thanks :)

I wouldn't say the Samsung is good value, but its pretty much the only option you can go for if you want to get a TV that does things like motion and glare a bit better than competitors.

At 55" there's a big lack of mid range TVs this year. If you are looking for optimal value for money you are probably looking at spending as less as possible, rather than more. A cheap 55" Samsung such as their TU series would suit...the Hisense U7Q if its available is a good option.

What you don't want to be doing is spending inbetween. Picture quality doesn't scale with money until you reach certain breakpoints.

I wouldn't say the Samsung is good value, but its pretty much the only option you can go for if you want to get a TV that does things like motion and glare a bit better than competitors.

At 55" there's a big lack of mid range TVs this year. If you are looking for optimal value for money you are probably looking at spending as less as possible, rather than more. A cheap 55" Samsung such as their TU series would suit...the Hisense U7Q if its available is a good option.

What you don't want to be doing is spending inbetween. Picture quality doesn't scale with money until you reach certain breakpoints.
The Hisense sadly isn't available where I live. I am definitely looking for an optimal value for my money; but at the same time I also want the TV to last a good amount of years, so in that sense small differences could still be impactful.

I don't suppose you'd have time to browse Power.dk or Elgiganten.dk with my budget (5000dkk/585£ - Can be stretched a bit if recommended) in mind, and recommend what you yourself would go with, given the budget? - No worries if it's too much to ask, I am just not very knowledgeable on TV matters so I can't confidenty go for sales :)

Is calibration worth considering/necessary? (Costs 999dkk/ 117£ extra)

Alternative to browsing for me:

Out of these two that you recommended; which would you go with?

or

Uses:
  • Use it for next 3 years minimum (used my last TV for 8 years...)
  • Stream Netflix and other services (100%, which will drop to 70% when I get a PS5 in 6-12 months)
  • Ps5 (30%)
  • Would like to be able to attach some form of speaker system to it down the line, once I can afford it; and run spotify through the TV if possible; but not super important.
  • Size ideally 50-60''

Thanks a lot! :)

Future proofing isn't going to change unless you can raise the budget to TVs with better HDR hardware such as the Sony XH9005. I also don't think build quality gets any better the more money you spend until you reach certain breakpoints. The likelihood will be you will want to replace your TV to view future HDR material without trouble sooner than the TV will break down...in fact, its hard really to recommend TVs that cost less at all currently, since a lot of what people tend to use their TVs for nowadays is streaming, and a lot of streaming is available in HDR.

So I'll stick with what I originally said, and that's that spending less is better than spending more with your budget.

This stands out if you don't care so much about smart TV built in:

Its smart TV is basic, but picture quality is up there with TVs costing a lot more. If you want something that has a better smart platform the Samsung TU series is your best bet.

The higher the number of model, the more features the TV has, but picture quality is the same. For example, if you want 3 HDMI ports instead of two, you may want to pay extra instead on the TU7000. Check spec differences here: Samsung телевизори (инфо на първа страница)

For fighting glare you may actually be better with a TV using an IPS panel though, in which case look at LG models:

Be sure to understand panel differences since (TCL and Samsung use VA, whilst LG use IPS) as its the most integral decision when buying a TV. For instance; if you want the TV to look better during the day, IPS is prefered, but at the same time if you use the TV in darkness or in the evening VA is prefered. Seating arrangements can also affect panel choice, since a TV using a VA panel must only be viewed directly in front and not at an angle greater than 20-30 degrees.

Outside options with VA panels would be the Philips 58" models like this:

Beware though that the 7 series models also have very basic smart TV like the TCL does. With Philips you pay extra for better motion processing and ambilight, otherwise its best to choose other options.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom