What TV Should I buy ..Confused

in2thepit

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All :lease:

I want to buy a large TV with a flat screen for use in home bar about 18feet by 10feet..Simple Right!!.Not really as there are so many brands and models within brands that I would need a piece of software to compare them all. I think from my limited research that Samsung is about as good as you can get or as near as damn it. I have thought that the PS50Q97HDX was going to be perfect for me. To be honest I seen it on display in a local shop. I know nothing about this TV. However, while online I have now discovered the Samsung PS50P96FDX, Samsung PS50C96HD, Samsung LE52M87BDX and so on... I really havent a clue which is best. Do I assume that more expensive is better.. or is the higher number better..ie 97HDX is better than 96FDX. I'm not really that daft..However, I dont know what all these letters actually mean.I think that the first letter indicates either plasma or LCD and the two digit number is obviously size. . Wow I'm good. But thats it. Heres what i would like...
A Flat screen TV of at least 50", 1080p Full HD would be nice. So I can watch Ireland won the rugby world cup..Ahem. Sorry nodded off there.Ha All the connections, HDMI,Scart, USB(Bonus but not necessary), I like to connect my pc to it and use it as a monitor, I would like my son to hook his Xbox 360 to it. I wont embarass myself talking in detail about picture quality as I havent a clue..However, i do want something that has good colour definition, not washed out... not pixelated, no spluttering or strange dots and dead pixels... Oh, I would like freeview as well as this will be mounted on my bar wall. I suppose I want somthing of reasonable quality..forget asda, tescos etc... I want a named brand that i recognise. Is it worth looking at rear projection TV's or are they to deep for wall mounting?...anyway my budget is somewhere around £1000.. Maybe stretch to £1300 or so if that helps.. Am I dreaming or can someone help me.. I need to move fast as this has to be purchased and installed before Friday 7th Sept.
Cheers
Carl

Definitely get a plasma, I'd go and have a look at the panasonic TH50PX70 can be had for around £1100 this will do the job.

Hi Thanks Dazza

I will have a look at this one. Early indications are that is a direct competitor for the Samsung PS50Q97HDX which seems to be slightly ahead in most reviews.

Thanks for the advice..
Cheers

Hi Thanks Dazza

I will have a look at this one. Early indications are that is a direct competitor for the Samsung PS50Q97HDX which seems to be slightly ahead in most reviews.

Thanks for the advice..
Cheers

Personally I think the Panny and Samsung are similar in terms of performance, I think time will tell if Samsung deserve higher ratings. They haven't got the track record of customer service & reliability that Panny have built up.

Totally agree with you on Samsung's impenetrable product naming scheme. It's even worse on their LCD lines.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom