What TV series should I absolutely watch and why...

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit out of the TV scene at the moment, but looking for new series.
What is an absolute must watch, that has a couple of series already (so I know it didn't get canned after one series)?

I've seen most of the big ones - Walking dead, GoT, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Sherlock, Brooklyn nine-nine, Modern family, Big Bang Theory, most of the marvel ones but given up on all but SHIELD, Santa Clarita Diet, Future Man...and plenty more

I'm not a massive fan of police shows.

In my queue at the moment, I have Ozark, Narcos, Atypical, The Orville, Sick Note and The End of the fudgeing World. Should I start on those or is there something better?

The Deuce (hands down the best thing being produced right now), The Sopranos, Deadwood, Fleabag, Derry Girls, The West Wing.

Whether you like police shows or not, The Shield is the greatest of all time and should not be missed by anyone!

And the reward is the ending is note perfect. The only TV show that truly nailed it's protagonist's end. 100%.

Mr. Robot as well should not be missed. A good one for the age we're living in. Brilliant twists.

And of course the US Office. Has overtaken Parks and Rec as my favourite of the US comedy shows.

The Deuce (hands down the best thing being produced right now), The Sopranos, Deadwood, Fleabag, Derry Girls, The West Wing.
Thanks.
I watched S1 of Sopranos and while I liked it, I can't commit to 10 series.
Gonna check out Fleabag.
I didn't like Derry Girls.
Not a fan of period stuff, I know deadwood isn't period per say, but not a fan of things from those eras.

Whether you like police shows or not, The Shield is the greatest of all time and should not be missed by anyone!

And the reward is the ending is note perfect. The only TV show that truly nailed it's protagonist's end. 100%.

Mr. Robot as well should not be missed. A good one for the age we're living in. Brilliant twists.

And of course the US Office. Has overtaken Parks and Rec as my favourite of the US comedy shows.
I've watched Mr Robot. Love it.
Ive heard great things about The Sheild, but again, it's a big committment.
I've tried a couple of times to watch the US Office, but haven't got on with it yet. Might have to try it again.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: two of the best shows of recent years have to be "Car Share" and "Detectorists", plus a big :thumbsup: for the astonishing "Fleabag".

They're all homegrown too! You don't need to watch foreign TV to find quality, you know! And they don't run for years and years so not such a big time commitment to watch and finish them.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: two of the best shows of recent years have to be "Car Share" and "Detectorists", plus a big :thumbsup: for the astonishing "Fleabag".

They're all homegrown too! You don't need to watch foreign TV to find quality, you know! And they don't run for years and years so not such a big time commitment to watch and finish them.[/QUOTE
The Shield is one of the best TV shows ever made

Detectorists
The Shield
Peaky blinders
Always sunny in Philadelphia
Catastrophe
White Gold
All the above are brilliant. Great writing and direction. Although the a later seasons of always sunny are a bit hit and miss.

Last edited:
Line of Duty - Fantastic, gripping and thrilling. One of the best Brit TV shows in years.

Deadwood - You can enjoy a proper finale to it as well in a few weeks when over 10 years after getting cancelled it gets a movie to finish it off.

Rome - Also got canned but had a decent ending.

Billions - or as I call it, the pocket change I left down the back of the sofa. Great performance from Paul Giamatti and Adrian Lewis.

Rubicon - One and done,slow burn conspiracy thriller.

Band of Brothers - If you haven't seen this, watch it now... now... now.

Deadwood - Yeah I said it already but you might not have been paying attention and it really is that good. Ian McShane (yes, Lovejoy) in the role of a lifetime.

Ozark - On your list, I really rated it.

The Expanse - Stunning piece of well thought out Sci-Fi

The Americans - Great spy drama set in the 80's

Thanks.
I watched S1 of Sopranos and while I liked it, I can't commit to 10 series.
Gonna check out Fleabag.
I didn't like Derry Girls.
Not a fan of period stuff, I know deadwood isn't period per say, but not a fan of things from those eras.
The Sopranos isn't too long. Five seasons of 13 episodes and two short seasons to finish off. Which isn't to say it isn't a decent commitment but it is worth it.

I've watched Mr Robot. Love it.
Ive heard great things about The Sheild, but again, it's a big committment.
I've tried a couple of times to watch the US Office, but haven't got on with it yet. Might have to try it again.
The Shield is a big commitment, but at least its the show has run from planned beginning to planned end. It not like you'll get into it, catch up and then it's cancelled.

It a bloody ace.

little older try House MD or Justified
OMxG I forgot about House MD. Yeah sooooo, good. Pilot had a VERY odd colour filter, but get past that it's a fabulous show.

BTW it NOT Lupus!

Its got to be Columbo,the best and funniest detective.
Voyage to the bottom of the sea ,great stories based inside a submarine.

Oldies but goldies... Xena, Buffy, Angel, Alias, X-Files.

A couple of my favourites from the past few years I've not seen mentioned:

Happy! - Alcoholic ex-dectective is helped by his daughters imaginary unicorn friend to solve a series of child kidnappings. OK, I know it sounds ridiculous but I absolutely loved it.

Altered Carbon - Another I loved, Joel Kinnaman is brilliant as the body swapped (sort of) P.I. in this sci-fi full of clones, nudes and violence. Right up my street.

Preacher - There's 3 seasons of this now, season 2 was a dip but the 1st and 3rd were both brilliant. Dominic Cooper plays the Preacher, who gains the power to command people to do what he wants. Fantastic.

Loved Parks and Rec.
Will check The Good Place.

Parks and Rec deserves its place as one of the great comedies of the last 10+ years.
The Good Place is made by the same show runner, and is certainly worth a watch, but it doesn't quite have the same stellar cast or wiring as Parks. Leans heavily on a central concept, and that can wear a bit thin for some.

The Sopranos isn't too long. Five seasons of 13 episodes and two short seasons to finish off. Which isn't to say it isn't a decent commitment but it is worth it.

Is also rightly considered the greatest drama of the last 20 years.

For those who just want plot, and stuff happening all the time, that's not The Sopranos, but it remains a majestic drama.

The Wire exists on pretty much the same level, nitpicks aside, and possibly a touch more appealing as each season is based around a slow burn, long running case. But it shouldn't be confused with a police procedural, it's scope is much broader and more ambitious than the usual procedural.

I'm a bit out of the TV scene at the moment, but looking for new series.
What is an absolute must watch, that has a couple of series already (so I know it didn't get canned after one series)?

I've seen most of the big ones - Walking dead, GoT, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Sherlock, Brooklyn nine-nine, Modern family, Big Bang Theory, most of the marvel ones but given up on all but SHIELD, Santa Clarita Diet, Future Man...and plenty more

I'm not a massive fan of police shows.

In my queue at the moment, I have Ozark, Narcos, Atypical, The Orville, Sick Note and The End of the fudgeing World. Should I start on those or is there something better?

Ozark is a good watch, well written, staged and acted. That said, it's a little Breaking Bad-lite to some (still think its has its owns strengths and merits).

The TV Shows I have enjoyed lately are
Dead to me
Dirty John
Sex Education
You
Killing Eve

They're all homegrown too! You don't need to watch foreign TV to find quality, you know! And they don't run for years and years so not such a big time commitment to watch and finish them.
I've seen a fair bit of car share.
I loooooooved Detectorists. Amazing series. Watched it all though.
Detectorists
The Shield
Peaky blinders
Always sunny in Philadelphia
Catastrophe
White Gold
All the above are brilliant. Great writing and direction. Although the a later seasons of always sunny are a bit hit and miss.
I will check out peaky blinders, so many people recommend this.
I'm up to date on catastrophe as well. Love it.
I'll look into the others. Thanks.
Line of Duty - Fantastic, gripping and thrilling. One of the best Brit TV shows in years.

Deadwood - You can enjoy a proper finale to it as well in a few weeks when over 10 years after getting cancelled it gets a movie to finish it off.

Rome - Also got canned but had a decent ending.

Billions - or as I call it, the pocket change I left down the back of the sofa. Great performance from Paul Giamatti and Adrian Lewis.

Rubicon - One and done,slow burn conspiracy thriller.

Band of Brothers - If you haven't seen this, watch it now... now... now.

Deadwood - Yeah I said it already but you might not have been paying attention and it really is that good. Ian McShane (yes, Lovejoy) in the role of a lifetime.

Ozark - On your list, I really rated it.

The Expanse - Stunning piece of well thought out Sci-Fi

The Americans - Great spy drama set in the 80's
Even my wife has mentioned Line of Duty, so will check that out.
Not interested in Rome or Deadwood.
Is Billions still going or finished now? I've heard it's good.
I'll look into Rubicon.
I watched half of S1 of The Expanse. Got a bit bored.
Band of Brothers - seen and loved it! Amazing series.
Good to know. I'll add it to the queue.
little older try House MD or Justified
I watched Justified but found it ran out of steam and think I gave up on series 3. Not sure how much longer it went on for.
I think House is a big commitment too.
Oldies but goldies... Xena, Buffy, Angel, Alias, X-Files.
Watched all of x-files. The others never interested me.
A couple of my favourites from the past few years I've not seen mentioned:

Happy! - Alcoholic ex-dectective is helped by his daughters imaginary unicorn friend to solve a series of child kidnappings. OK, I know it sounds ridiculous but I absolutely loved it.

Altered Carbon - Another I loved, Joel Kinnaman is brilliant as the body swapped (sort of) P.I. in this sci-fi full of clones, nudes and violence. Right up my street.

Preacher - There's 3 seasons of this now, season 2 was a dip but the 1st and 3rd were both brilliant. Dominic Cooper plays the Preacher, who gains the power to command people to do what he wants. Fantastic.
Did Altered Carbon get canned? it was on my list but seem to recall removing for some reason.
I assume Happy is a comedy?
I've heard good things about Preacher but the concept never really reined me in. I might have to take another look.
Is also rightly considered the greatest drama of the last 20 years.

For those who just want plot, and stuff happening all the time, that's not The Sopranos, but it remains a majestic drama.

The Wire exists on pretty much the same level, nitpicks aside, and possibly a touch more appealing as each season is based around a slow burn, long running case. But it shouldn't be confused with a police procedural, it's scope is much broader and more ambitious than the usual procedural.
I watched S1 of The Wire and thought it was really good. It somehow got lost from my radar over the years. It's also pretty intense so need to be in the mood to watch it.
The TV Shows I have enjoyed lately are
Dead to me
Dirty John
Sex Education
You
Killing Eve
Killing Eve was ruined for my by watching Gogglebox! I wish I had watched this from the beginning though.
Sex Education gets good ratings, I'll check that out.
Dead to me looks good too.
Dirty John seems a rehash of many series over the years. Not sure it's for me.
You looks interesting.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I certainly won't have any issues picking a new series or two now. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom