1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What TV?- newbie with headache

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rich23, May 27, 2003.

1. Rich23

Rich23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was directed here by a helpful chap in another forum so I read through the various posts and now am even more confused.

I was going to get a 32" 100HZ Sony FX66 but the buzz problem worries me- I cant afford to get another TV if this one is rubbish.

I need to play NTSC vids through it but now am unsure whether they will work because I dont understand this progressive scanning thing- and whether its needed or not. I need to play vids and Sky through it- do they need to go through my home cinema sys or straight into tv. Will tv speakers affect 5.1 sound?

I think Im going to get a JVC nicam 4 head NTSC compat video and the yamaha deal on separates for home cinema from Richer Sounds as these seem to be OK but am very concerned on getting an expensive TV only to find its a dud. I have approx £750 to spend on this item.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Rich

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Most modern TV's accept both pal and ntsc signals so you shouldn't have any issues with playing videos of varying formats (assuming the vcr is also compatable with both pal and ntsc). I tend to mute my TV speakers since the sound is all through my av gear. The Yamaha receivers are generally very good imo and would be a good choice for the audio duties within your set up. I don't generally use my amp for video switching ad plug all the cables in the back of the telly. Make sure you purchase a tv with two RGB scart sockets or even one that accepts component for progressive scan if you wish to use it in the future,

3. Rich23

Rich23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Hawklord

So my video would go straight into the tv- but surely my sky box would need to, or doesnt sky movies come in 5.1 signals?

Why do I need RGB sockets or compnents for progressive scan please, and can you recommend a tv? I was put off Phillips by someone telling me there were problems playing ntsc picture wise, and then switching back to normal picture was not straightforward?

Cheers

Rich

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sky movies in 5.1 only on Sky+ this is via optical connection. For Sky in surround using DPL2 via stereo outs will work best. See thread by Tobydog on this.
    Scart RGB and component are for the connection of STB and DVD with suitable out puts for best PQ Look at the Toshiba PF sereis and Loewe.
    Alot of reatiler currently doing free VCR or DVD or both with 32" TV's John Lewis store are V.Good you get 5year warranty and will pricematch other highstreet retailers.