What TV is best?

garrethk97

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm currently in the market for a 65inch tv. I have a few options, 1) TCL 65C835, it's currently €1400 but sometimes has deals for €1200, the second option is Sony 65X90J for €1000, it's an open box from a store that sells TVs and is in perfect condition (was never used as a display model), from Rtings the x90j has better local dimming and less blooming than the x90k and it says it has a better picture quality and the x95k doesn't even exist in Ireland. The third option is Sony 65A80J for €1200, it's from a company that installs home theaters setups and is a return/open box in perfect condition with another 5 years warranty on it.

The issue I have is that I'm coming from a Sony 55XE90 which is much brighter than the oled, relatively the same nits as the x90J and not close to the TCL, but I like how Sony aims for accuracy than brightness compared to Samsung TVs. Multiple review sites said samsung tvs just make HDR brighter but is not accurate to the filmakers intent. I know oled is considered to be the best for HDR content but would the difference in nits compared to the XE90 be a issue?
My issue with the TCL is that HDTVTest said it crushes details in dark scenes and can be seen in his review of the Sony x95k as he said Sony's local dimming algorithm aims for accuracy over decreasing blooming.

So could anyone help with this as I have no idea what to get. The TV will be used for Sky Sports in HDR and then shows and movies from Netflix, Disney etc which majority of shows and movies has HDR. I am open to all options but just have some concerns. OLED burn in won't be a concern as the tv will be looked after.

I would defo go with the Sony 65A80J and try get some blinds up

Upvote 0
I came from a XE9305, the model above yours, to a Sony OLED.

While the OLED doesn't have the bright peaks of the LCD panel, the contrast is far superior and makes up for 99.9% of that.
I could count on one hand when rewatching certain scenes the times I thought the LCD had the edge in brightness.
In dark scenes, the OLED is miles ahead.

As above, the A80J and maybe be prepared to compromise a little with bright daytime viewing.

Upvote 0
Just noticed Sky Sports could cause problems if left on for a long time.
The TCL and other sony may be better options if it has graphics text on.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, from what both of you have said I think I’ll go with the A80J so. Sky sports will only be used 2-3 hours per week if even so it shouldn’t cause burn in, I’d hope not anyways.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom