1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Tv Is Best For Rgb?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by gbmitie, Mar 8, 2003.

1. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The joys of RGB but I have noticed that from a Digibox to a Panny TV it is good but-----!!!.

Is it feasible that some TV'S are better for RGB than others and as my TV is nearly 7 years old can I take it that newer TV'S will have better RGB capability?

Which are best and why?

GB---

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's true. They also vary in how they 'deal with' RGB.

No you can't assume this.

It's difficult to judge which TV is best with RGB because the quality of the final image is also resultant on the quality of the tube displaying the image, the quality of interconnecting cables you're using, the quality of your DVD player (or other RGB source), and so on. There are just too many factors that are interconnected.

However, there are quite a few models out there that deliver a 'dark' RGB image and I find this unacceptable. May as well not have an RGB scart. I also don't like models that don't allow you to adjust the RGB image's colour, contrast etc. We all have our own preferences, however.

3. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    A great reply and it confirms what I am finding out slowly. By the time I get round to buying a new tV I will probably be half blind anayway and not notice all these imperfections!!!

I am going to print out this reply to keep me focussed.

Many thanks.

GB---

4. Tasos

Tasos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't wait....

If I were you I'd go for the Sony 32FQ80. If it's not faulty, it'll show very good RGB images when connected to right quality cables etc etc. Why don't you go to a local retailer and get them to sent up a DVD player with RGB output so you can test it yourself? Just a thought.

Good Luck with your search

Tasos

5. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I couldn't disagree more.

After testing many TVs, the entire Sony range (anything that does 100Hz and above, including the FQ80) displays a poor RGB picture.

It is no way near as sharp as the native 50Hz models, poor colour convergence and ghosting.

How did I test this? In short, I used an XBOX (with RGB out) to display some 'test cards' with various images to show any weaknesses (geometry, moire, colour convergence, resoloution, screen regulation etc...).

The colour convergence shows a clear problem, especially with the red colour which is noticably offset.

The test source:
    Click here

The results shown on a Sony 100Hz set:
    Click here

So what you say? Well, in reality, this shows colour bleed, especially when looking at high contrasting colour sources (like a red BBC News bar along the botton of the screen - the red bleeds into the rest of the picture above).

Colour menus from a DVD player for example show the same distortion, albeit much more obvious, as the source image (like the xbox) is 'clean'.

Ghosting was also an issue with these sets. Images with high contrast shows the tell tale shadow and highlight effects around the edges.

Pretty dissapointing from Sony. Their tubes may be great, but their electronics suck. :(

Les.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't disagree more Lesmond. The RGB image on my Sony LS60 is one of the sharpest I've seen and much sharper than the RGB image on the JVC AV28R25 and Philips 28PW6515 I tried out in my home for a few days each before that. Professional reviews have also agreed about the LS60. But then it's a 'vanilla' 100Hz set that just doubles the frame rate, nothing else. Logos are particular sharp and there is no noticeable colour bleed.

Personally, I am now a big fan of Sony Wega tubes. Plus you can adjust everything on RGB inputs on Sony sets - sharpness, contrast, colour, brightness, etc.

7. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm a little sceptical about professional reviews after receiving a highly rated Sony set, in particular a FX66.

Compared to the other sets you mentioned, perhaps. But just out of interest, did you compare this to an LS35, for example? A current 50Hz Sony set? This will show the differences that I mentioned. So much clearer and accurate, but I just couldn't go back to 50Hz.... The flicker is annoying!

For me, having a 100Hz set, with any level of noise reduction (which is only really beneficial for analog broadcasts and VCR playback) should not be a trade off for correct focusing/alignment of the colours. Where many may argue that they don't recognise the problem, it'll be painfully obvious once it *has* been demonstrated.

In short, if I recreated the experiment with you witnessing the results, I'm sure you too would be dissapointed - as was the Sony store manager.

I'm not making this up! I'm gutted, being a Sony fan for years myself - now I've got to buy German to get a quality TV!!

At the end of the day, if your happy with your set - all good. But just don't put your Sony next to a Loewe - you'll get all upset :mad:

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm the same, but I posted my review of the LS60 on the forum before any professional reviews had been done and was obviously delighted when the professional reviews agreed with my own assessment.

Incidentally, I demoed an FX65 in store and was not impressed. It had a very harsh 'unnatural' image. I felt the same about the FQ75.

Yes I did, in store. LS60 was noticeably better with RGB.

I always have noise reduction turned off and I only use RGB, so noise reduction doesn't come into anyway (I don't have an analogue RF input and my VCR is all boxed up - I doubt either will ever see the light of day again :D )

9. Lesmond

Lesmond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting... I can only assume then that the batch of Sony TVs now are of less quality than what they were like when you bought yours :confused:

From what I've read on the forums over the last few months, there does seem to be a degree of variation some sets can have over time - what with some sets having buzzing noises and others don't, some with geometry problems and others don't... I guess we can add colour convergence to this list then!! :rolleyes:

Pain in the butt if you ask me - something that we all shouldn't have to put up with - its like a game of roulette!!

What can we learn from this? Well, for one thing, it's probably a good idea to buy from a decent local high street retailer in order to get good after sales service - because you'll probably end up swapping out sets to find one without problems.... :thumbsdow

Les