1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what TV input

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by stevebrown999, May 21, 2002.

1. stevebrown999

stevebrown999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im lookign for a RP TV at the moment and I read that a component video input gives a better input from a dvd?

If so, can someone explain what component video is (is it the same as composite) - and does the DVD need a component out or can you get a scart to component etc

Thanks

Steve

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't the same (not even nearly - except the spelling) as Composite.

Component is a three-cable system normally and is broadly equal to RGB in quality terms. In terms of picture quality, it is subtly different to (and many would say, better than) SVideo.

The major benefit of a component connection arises if

a) your DVD will output a progressive scan signal - in which case it will only do so via component AND
    b) your TV will accept a progressive scan component signal.

Progressive scan is significantly better than the standard interlaced signal that you get via SVideo and via component if progressive scan isn't used.

So - if your chosen TV and DVD will do progressive - good. If not, I wouldn't get too hung up about component - it isn't hugely better than SVideo.

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Do a search in the dvd section also of the forum and you'll find loads of threads on the topic of the virtues of using component, which most people agree is best. Generally it's composite, s-video, rgb via scart and then component being at the top for quality.
    If you are taking the RPTV route the gain could well be more significant in using component sourcing as the bigger the size of the screen the more you'll notice any weaknesses in a signal. The Toshiba RPTVs have component inputs. Try also searching for models on here and you'll probably find people who've posted with details of their first hand experiences - also some sets are reviewed online, check top of site page and try homecinemachoice.com in their hardware review section. This will give you an idea of where you want to go.

4. stevebrown999

stevebrown999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the Toshiba I was looking at. My DVD is SCART only so I will look for a new DVD player maybe.