1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What TV for Xbox.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by smythst, Oct 19, 2004.

1. smythst

smythst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I tried this question on the TV forums with little luck. BAsically I'm looking to find out what's a decent TV to get for hookuing my Xbox up to. IT's got to be CRT (obviously) but after that I'm pretty clueless. I don't have a modded Xbox, so Hi Def isn't a requirement, but should I still look for a progressive scan TV? Also, appart from Hi Def, is Advanced SCART, the best quality I can get out of the Xbox.

OH, by the way, my price limit is £500 ish

Thanks a lot guys.
    :lease:

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Why does it have to be a crt set? I've got my GC hooked up to a 26" toshiba lcd screen via RGB scart and the picture looks fantastic. Plus you can pick up one now for just £900. I think you can only get a prog scan signal from a modded Xbox, though I may be wrong. £1,250 will get you a £32" Toshiba lcd WL48, (out Oct/Nov ), with 2 component, HDMI, 3 scart (2 RGB), svhs etc. You'll never get those connections on a crt set. Nor will a crt set take advantage of sky's hi-def service starting in 2006, or the upcoming hi-def dvd format 'Blu-Ray'.

If you could tell me how much you're looking to spend I can help you a bit more. :)

3. smythst

smythst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob, sorry I just edited the first post. My budget is about £500. I'm looking for CRT for two reasons:

Firstly, I think CRT has teh best image quality of any tube type, I just hate the 'washed out' look of plasma and lcd.

Secondly, price. MY budget is pretty modest.

One final thing, should I aim for a 100HZ TV for the Xbox, or is 50Hz ok, or what differences would be noticable while playing games?

4. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If your Xbox isn't modded it's pointless going for prog scan as a standard UK PAL model won't be able to output it.

Also, you wouldn't be able to get prog scan compatibility for under £500 anyway, so it's a moot point anyhow.

Do you have a preference for widescreen or 4:3 sets, flatscreen or curved? large 4:3 sets have crashed in price recently. A flatscreen Toshiba 29" 4:3 set will give an anamorphic 16:9 picture of 25" - all for £300. Since a lot of games don't have widescreen modes then this might be worth considering;

http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/product.php?xProd=194&xSec=3

5. smythst

smythst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Charlaph, Thanks for that. My preference is for flatscreen if possible. I normally prefer 4:3, since TV broadcasts get squashed on widescreens, making people in the program look like 'Oompa Loompas'!. But since this is primarily for games, I'm not sure, how many Xbox games support widescreen, and if I get widescreen, will games in 4:3 get squashed down like Tv broadcasts?

Apologies for my newby-ness.
    Thanks again.

6. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, if you get a widescreen set and play a game that doesn't have a widescreen mode then it'll be shown tiny in the middle of the screen. Widescreen is the choice if everything you'll be playing or watching is in widescreen format, but I've never found watching or playing 4:3 pictures on a widescreen set to be enjoyable - despite all the variety of zoom/crop/stretch options on widescreen sets these days.

Personally I still prefer 4:3 sets as the majority of my viewing and game playing is done in that format (shocking I know) and I feel that a big 4:3 set gives the best tradeoff between the two screen sizes. I don't watch too many movies though!

I don't know how many Xbox games have widescreen modes for the above reason. I have a 4:3 set, and although it has a 16:9 mode, if I'm playing a game I want as much screen as possible to be filled so I always play in 4:3 mode. I don't know what I'm missing but I'm happy in my ignorance.

29" seems to be the limit for affordable 4:3 flatscreen sets. Toshiba do a 33" 4:3 set with a visible screen size of 31.5" (internal 16:9 screen is 29"!!!) but it's not flatscreen and doesn't come with a stand. Only £350 though.

A typical 32" widescreen set will have a visible screen of about 30.5", on this the default 4:3 internal screen size is 25" which is plenty big enough for most peoples needs before you start using the zoom/stretch/crop features of the TV, which will help for some games, but for many will result in moving on screen menus/displays off the visible area.

By comparison a 28" widescreen set (assume 26.5" visible) will only show a 22" internal 4:3 picture, which in my opinion is too small for gaming.

So you should choose between a 32" widescreen set which will also give you a 25" 4:3 picture, or a 29" 4:3 which also give you a 25" widescreen picture. Your call which is the best compromise for £500.

7. smythst

smythst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks man. Just one last thing, should I go for 100Hz or 50Hz, and what wil be the difference in gaming experience between the two?

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Having ntl digital I've noticed that a large number of the programmes are now in widescreen. Even Eastenders!. Terrestial annalogue broadcasts tend to go for the 14:9 inbetween format to try and appease widescreen and 4:3 tv owners. This gives small borders on both types. Also, although 16:9 tvs squash a 4:3 image, you can set the tv to 4:3 so that you have the correct ratio, (but with black borders on each side). On the other hand, widescreen broadcasts will make people look elongated on a 4:3 set. This is also remedied with an option to squash the picture into the correct 16:9, (again with black borders, this time top and bottom).

Still, as most current games are in 4:3, and if you rarely use the set for tv or dvds, you'll get more screen for your money with a 4:3 tv. Just remember, 99% of dvds' are in widescreen (16:9, 21:9, even 24:9!). Also it's likely more games in the future will have a 16:9 option, (i.e. the FIFA series), and games like RE4 are in widescreen. In the longer term, the next gen of consoles are bound to take advantage of widescreen format more and more.

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Still, £350 does get you a huge 4:3 screen. :confused:

If it's mainly for game use, go for 4:3 I reckon. By the way, I used to have a 21" Sony crt set used for games, and imo it was easily big enough. Especially as it wasn't the main tv and was set up in a spare bedroom. :)

10. smythst

smythst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks guys, I think I've got an idea of what I'll get now. But can anyone answer my Hz question, 50 or 100?

11. bluesteel

bluesteel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    why doesnt crt support high def?

12. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can support it technically but AFAIK, there aren't any CRT sets made that support enough lines for HD. Not in this country at least.

13. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Stick with 50Hz/60Hz for gaming and avoid any digital processing (like 100Hz for example) as it just ruins the picture, IMO

14. charlaph

charlaph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Regarding 50Hz/100Hz - there is no real answer. 100Hz screens can mess up lightguns (does eyetoy work okay with 100Hz sets anyone?) 100Hz is meant to give a less flickery picture, but personally I'm not at all bothered by the flicker inherent in a 50Hz set - some people can see it and find it annoying though.

If you find a 50Hz set annoying then get a 100Hz set, if you don't then probably best to stick to 50hz as there are no compatibility issues with lightgun games.

15. smythst

smythst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thanks a million everyone. BTW, I assume all 50Hz sets support 60HZ too (that's a PAL thing right)?

16. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They will do these days, yes.

17. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Play your games in 60Hz mode though and not in 50Hz mode (you can set this up in the Xbox's menu - called the Dashboard)

Since 90% of games are designed to be played in 60Hz mode, play your Xbox games in this setting and you'll find this gives you a better performance than playing in 50Hz mode, which results in slowdown, and juddery animation with a lot of games*

*apart from one or two :rolleyes: which should be played in 50Hz to eliminate slowdown...talk about self-defeating, eh?