What TV for this room?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by ash39, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ash39

ash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, first post but done plenty of browsing! Hoping for a little help if possible.

I've just moved into a new house and the living room is the biggest room in the house, so my current 4 year old 37" Samsung LCD is looking a bit sorry for itself in the corner.

[​IMG]

I'm looking to upgrade to full HD and much bigger screen, looking at a minimum of 47". I was looking at plasma as it's less expensive but as you can see the room is very bright, has 3 full height windows and 4 skylights although the sun only shines directly in very early in the mornings, and I watch most TV at night like most people. However I quite like the look of the LG 47LV355T LED TV, which is a good price at Richer Sounds at the moment, and if what I've read is correct this will perform much better in a bright room?

I use my TV mostly for watching football and xbox gaming. Watch films occasionally but not a massive priority as blu-rays look fantastic even on my current TV so I'm sure they'll be even better on the new set.

Anyone got any thoughts on the LG above, or any other sets I should be considering with a budget of £500-600 ? Either Plasma or LED, must have full HD, min 46" and preferably Freeview HD as BT are taking ages to sort out a line to the house so I can't get sky yet... long story. Not fussed for 3D or Smart TV type features.

Cheers,
    Ash

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    If football is a big use, 100hz or above processing would be sensible, unfortunately it's a feature usually reserved for higher end models. Without it, motion blur is pretty inevitable and LG's aren't the best. See if you can up the budget for something like these which have extra motion processing (these will likely add lag for your gaming though)...

LG 47 inch LED TV, LG 47LV550T, LG LED TV, LED TV, Television | Rgbdirect | (Or RS LG 47LV550T | 47 inch LED TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds to price match)

SAMSUNG UE46D5520 LED TV | Laskys.com

If you are willing to take a risk, perhaps there is something second hand in the classifieds?

3. ash39

ash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not heard anything about gaming lag on TV's, what causes this and what should I look for to avoid it? My current TV has no problems that I've noticed.

I could probably stretch a bit further and wouldn't mind going second hand as long as it was nearly new and mint.. but I would have thought I'd be able to get something suitable new for my budget?

What about the Panasonic TXP50ST30 plasma? 600hz and 3d as well, although as I've said I'm not fussed about 3d at the moment. £599 at Richer Sounds.

4. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Plasma won't work in such a bright room I expect but maybe ask in the plasma forum - the picture will wash out

I think gaming lag is caused by the Tv being skow to respond, can be a probleem for FPS and online gaming

Don't place too much stall by the 600hz with plasma, it is not the same as 100hz etc for LCD - search for '600hz subfield' for explanation if interested

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. ash39

ash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's bright but evenly lit rather than one big window so I could possibly get away with plasma. I'll have a look in the plasma forum.

I don't do online gaming at the moment but may do in future. I'm not fully getting why the TV would be slow to respond, games only run at 50/60hz don't they?

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

If going plasma you'll need some blindes. Nice room.:cool:....Id also save up a bigger budget, a 50"+ set would look great on that wall.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  7. ash39

ash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've got panel blinds with blackout material, so should be fine if it ever was too bright and there was something important on, like Leeds playing :laugh:

I'm thinking Plasma is the better option now i understand the frame rates properly. 100hz LED's are quite pricey. 600hz sub field Plasmas are better value.

8. ash39

ash39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After many changes of heart, I ended up going for a Samsung UE46D5000 LED and it's great so far. Very sharp for HD gaming and Blu-rays. Can't wait to get Sky HD :thumbsup:

It's essentially the same TV Vickster recommended but without Smart TV functions (don't need them) and Freeview HD (wouldn't have minded but getting Sky anyway) and is £100 cheaper, result!

9. geesingh

geesingh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Ash39, i'm currently trying to decide between these exact sets, the LG 47LV355T and SAMSUNG UE46D5000 (also don't need smart of freeview hd). I've found the Samsung for £630 inc P&P and leaning towards that.

What are your thoughts on the tv, anything you don't like about it, anything you wish you new beforehand?

Cheers.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    Freeview HD and Smart TV are almost standard now
    You don't pay much more for them and you will want them, sooner or later.:)

11. geesingh

geesingh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's a £50 difference for this particular set and I don't see me getting rid of Sky anytime soon, so it's really an unnecessary waste of money.

12. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,718
    I didn't say that HD and Internet are necessary.:)
    I think that £50 would be very good value for them though, for anyone who does want them, or is ever likely to.
    When I first heard of SmartTV I thought it was a gimmick that I'd never find any use for, but since getting a TV a year and a half ago that had it, that's become a normal part of everyday viewing.
    Anytime on my Sky machine has been disabled from the start, but I don't how it can be got rid of altogether - or how it comes into this choice - or are you referring to Anytime Plus?

Are you sure - or is it just that you haven't had full DSO yet?
    It's a better TV in some ways than mine, which does have it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012