Question What tv for me? £2000 budget - min 55”

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by biggy7, Sep 24, 2017.

1. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Hi all so I’ve been reading up this weekend on what tv to get next.

I am coming from a 6 year old Samsung PS51D8000 plasma which has cracked after the little one through a coin on the screen :/

Viewing distance is 2.8m, sources are sky hd (may get sky Q), nvidia shield tv, Netflix hdr, mkv files, Amazon 4K, blu ray Player. We Watch a lot of football on sky and the tv gets used heavily for wife’s dramas and kids tv day and evening.

I’d like a tv with free 5 year warranty too

At first I was well up for the 55” LG oled B7 but I’m absolutely terrified of burn in, the kids sometimes can leave the sky menu on screen or similar menus up on other devices and I’d rather not go through the heart ache of it, is this madness speaking now or not? Do any extended warranties cover burn in ? Ie accidental damage policies that curry’s, John Lewis and AO do ?

Then I’ve gone with the idea of the Hisense 65N6800 work horse for £1099 from richersounds with 6 year warranty and pocket the difference for the next tv purchase. For the kids and family I reckon this would do it.

I’m looking to buy ASAP as i don’t think I can wait until BF or Xmas sales.

That Pana 58 DX09 at £999 looked great but collection from that Devon shop is bit of a trek for me.

Just seen the 65XE9005, this looks good for around £1795

Need to make a decision as what ever we get we will need a new tv cabinet so a trip to ikea is also needed.

Are they any other recommendations ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,343
    You are looking at TVs in completely different performance segments, I think you should decide what you want to pay on a TV, what you expect from a TV and make a decision from there. All the TVs you have mentioned are good value...whether its worth paying extra for the Sony XE9005 or travelling farther for DX902 depends on many factors that depend on your own preferences.

OLED screen burn in isn't as much of an issue as it was with Plasma TVs so I would argue if you didn't get burn in on your Plasma then you won't on OLED...especially with all the power saving options you now have like auto standby timers and the fact tv's can now turn off if no signal is received for a set amount of time. For example Sky Q has a function you can set that automatically turns it to standby after no input is pressed...when this happens and auto power off is enabled on a TV it will also turn off after a few mins.

I don't think the warranties cover screen burn in at all, whether its LCD or OLED. If you look at richer sounds warranty terms there's a section that outlines screen burn isn't covered.

One thing to note is at 2.8m you are too far from even a 65" TV to notice a difference between UHD and FHD so I wouldn't pay anything extra for UHD content unless it also includes HDR...which Sky Q does not.

3. Angelo M

Angelo M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
  4. biggy7

biggy7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Just an update. Ordered the 65N6800 in the end from richersounds, payed online and will collect as soon as its ready.

Spent a few hours building an IKEA tv stand in preparation for it.

The next tv will be oled, by then the kids will be little older and bit more wiser.

5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,343