WHAT TV for £800 HELP Insurance pay out

ryan.grant

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all
My 1st post.
My 42ins hitachi monitor has a burn accross since my house move so the insurance company has given me £800. What LCD or Plasma should I opt for.
I watch DIVX movies and have normal sky plus.
I am getting a PS3 soon to use as a blue ray player
The one indoors wants a sammy 37 or 40 incher but there are so many different modles!
I have read on here that the LG Sony and G50 are all better in one way.
Is the Sammy style over function?

Want to order or buy iy tomorrow before the new furniture arrives.

Many Thanks

HI again been into town today and been offered Panny TH-42PZ800B. for £850 the guy in the panny shop said the plasma was far better than the LCD.

Before I buy it I wanted some guidence.

Cheers

I would say that a plasma would be more suited to your needs, but you can pick up the new P42G10 for £920, it's worth the extra in my opinion, although the PZ800 is still very good

:smashin:Thanks
Dont really want to spend more than £850. So the panny plasmas are better than the sammy lcd's. The chap in the panny shop said that he plasmas were a lot better picture even if they are only 1080p!

Plasmas generally produce deeper blacks (leading to greater contrast, and allowing greater shadow detail at deep black levels), richer and more natural colours and better motion handling. LCDs are generally better suited to bright rooms (like shops) as they don't lose contrast in bright lighting. I would personally say that a plasma have a better picture for the money, there are varying opinions on the matter but I've seen a lot of people go from LCD to plasma and be very happy indeed. They give better SD pictures too.

The PZ800 is last years top range model, I haven't really checked the specs or compared to two side by side but it might be worth looking at the P42S10, it's a new 1080p model and uses the same processing as the PZ800, it should be available for a decent bit under £850. At this point it would be worth popping over to the plasma forum if that's where you're leaning

To be completely honest, the man selling the plasma TV is going to say that is is a lot better than the LCD. And although it is not quite as simple as saying plasmas are better than LCDs, there is one are where non 1080p plasmas have a definite advantage - they handle SD content more sympathetically (generally). Yes, the blacks are better, although the new LCDs are very good at this too, but it is the SD capability and the absence of input lag which are the real strengths.

I love Panasonic plasma TVs, they are great. But I also have a Sony LCD which is fabulous. The main thing is to know what you are buying and why you are buying it. If you are only going to watch SD, buy one of the cheaper Panasonic plasmas - not a 1080p one as it'll probably disappoint you the same as an LCD. And to be very honest, by the time TV stations start emitting 1080p signals regularly, it'll be time to upgrade to another TV.

:)
Wow thanks for all of the advice.
To throw a spanner in the works a 42 incher will be too large looking at the room lay out. Got one in at the moment and when the new oak stand comes a 42er will dwarf it. So unfortunatly we will have to go to a smaller 37 of 40 which rules out Plasmas???

So is the 6 series Sammy worth it the woman in the Sony shop said she used to sell them but if anything went wrong they were not interested.

Going to order the LE40B650 from amazon £775.
Are amazone any good dealing with issues. Cant find a store that sells it near me in Bognor.

Are amazone any good dealing with issues. Cant find a store that sells it near me in Bognor.

first of all, you made a good decision not buying a screen that was too big for your viewing distance. Second, I have always found Amazon amongst the best for rectifying any customer complaint. Of course that is completely my own experience and I am sure othe people here have had terrible experiences with Amazon. They even refunded me a laptop which I had been using for 8 or 9 days last year because I wasn't completely happy with it although there was nothing technically wrong with it.

I've seen many positive reports of people buying TVs from Amazon and plenty of people having to get replacements/refunds (not more than other places) have all done so without hassle.

The B650 would be a good option, just to let you know there is a 37" Panasonic plasma, it's not 1080p but is a very good TV none the less. Otherwise the B650 would probably be one of the best alternatives...that 2 inches wont do much difference though :rotfl:

P37X10, it's a very good set and I would take it over the B650, that's my plasma preference though. I think you will get a much better SD picture from the X10 though

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom