What TV? Budget: approx. £500

sminp

Standard Member
So I've done some research and decided I want the following if possible:

Not Plasma
Preferably backlit LED (definitely not edgelit) but LCD is fine
Preferably 100Hz
Around a 40inch screen

I have up to £500 though I can possibly stretch to a bit more if needed.

Will be used for general TV, films, gaming, maybe some football

I have some models I've looked at so far with the best price I've seen for each, some advice would be appreciated.

Samsung UE40C5100 - £450
LG 42LD490 - £380
Panasonic TX-L37S20BA - £500 (Least favourite at the moment)
Samsung LE40C530 - £400

I'm also willing to stretch a bit if the TV is 3D capable such as:

Samsung LE40C750 - £600 (My favourite at the moment)

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

EDIT: Maybe I should have posted this in the LED/LCD section? Can someone move this thread if possible

Last edited:

Jenster

Standard Member
I presume most of the LED TV's you're looking at will be edgelit rather than fully LED backlit. In terms of gaming going for a 100Hz might not necessarily be the best answer, as I believe the input lag is generally higher compared to a 50Hz set.

In the LCD section there will no doubt be more knowledgeable folk who can inform you of the possible panel lottery with the Samsung LE40's, whether S-PVA, A-MVA, P-MVA etc and their differing qualities. For example, with the LE40C580 (*), but you tend to get an S-PVA panel in the UK, which can be had for a very reasonable price at Amazon. There's an owners thread on here for this set as well.

The Toshiba Regza 40RV753 (*) comes 'highly recommended' and is even cheaper than the LE40C580 at Amazon. It's discussed a bit on the latter pages of this thread. The RV753 also has an owners thread if you're interested.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom