1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What TV and sound system?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dleungy, Nov 25, 2004.

1. dleungy

dleungy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, am new to this forum but it looks great!! Have hust moved into a new flat and am looking to buy a large TV and sound system. Have read a lot of the posts but am unsure what kind of TV to get. I would be using it for sky, dvds and ps2. Should I go for CRT, Plasma, LCD or projection? I am also looking for a sound system and my total budget is around 3000. Any suggestions? How much should I spend on each? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well I'm going to be putting my head really on the block and will get roundly 'beaten up' on the forum! No-one should be spending that sort of money on a tv system at home. Spend it on a world tour holiday, something really special - just get a nice telly with a quality built in sound system - your £3000 will devalue so quickly if you spend it all on 'tv stuff' despite the initial pleasure it might give you. Sorry not to be helpful but it's my honest opinion. Regards, yt.

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say that it's down to what you prefer. I spent a small fortune on my kit and whether it devalues or not is of no consequence to me. My speakers were £2,500 when new but you can get them on ebay (occasionally) for less than a grand. Similarly the 51" was about £1,700 but by the time I come to sell it it'll be worth a fraction of that. But I will be looking to own this one for quite a while yet so I'll get my money's worth from it, ditto the speakers. It's down to personal choices and how much you are prepared to spend on something. I've never been on a holiday in my life, nor do I want to - the idea does nothing for me at all. I like day trips into the middle of nowhere away from hustle and bustle - that to me is a break. The idea of spending thousands of pounds on a holiday to some beach where thousands of other people are going to be seems like madness to me - but that's just my opinion, nothing else.

Anyways, back to the subject! Three grand buys a quality home theatre system and there is a plethora of choices. I think what we need to know here is whether you intend to have dedicated home theatre or if it is to be integrated into an existing hi fi system, and what size TV you are looking for, or more importantly can accommodate. For instance the 51WH36 I have is a pretty sizeable box and it requires a fair sized room (or a very symathetic partner!) to get the best out of it. But DLP is much more compact and can be had for around £1,500. However, both formats are very sweet spot dependant - you need to be on level with them to see the picture at it's optimum. CRT's go up to 36" but the box itself will be 2 foot deep!! However they offer the best overall picture quality - not just my opinion but the opinion of the serious audio visual press, but a large one will take up a fair bit of space. Plasmas and LCD's mount on the wall and look asthetically very pleasing but there is a trade off. The picture quality is not so good on either format and plasmas are not exactly long lasting pieces of kit. There is also the external DLP that fires an image at a screen mounted on the wall, this is worth checking out but it will require a reasonably dark room to work properly.

I'd say the best thing you can do is get out there and do some window shopping. Play with a few TV's and get an idea of what you like and don't like. Look at the various options for home theater and see what you can accommodate speaker wise. Once you know this then you can start to narrow down your choices so it makes it a little easier for us to give you advice.

The only piece of advice I would give now is whatever you do don't rush into it! Take your time and be sure you can fit what you intend to buy in it's intended location. These things look so much smaller in the shops than they do in your living room trust me!