Question What TV - 55inch under 1k - 4k not required?

bonbonbon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Need to buy my first proper TV having just moved into a new place. The last month has been a steep learning curve but am still stuck on what TV to buy.

Thought i'd go ahead and add to the list of 'what TV' posts ... apologies for this but I am close to loosing all my hair with the amount conflicted options to consider.

My requirements:

- 55 inch max, maybe a 49/50 if its worth going for quality over size

- mostly SD and HD only viewing, TV shows, Movies, Non-serious gaming on PS4, (freeview, basic sky, netflix, prime) - i will not have the budget for blurays/4k netflix/sky Q

- max spend £1000 or would far rather be lower, i have a lot to buy over these next few months

- preferably flat screen, but not too fussy

- I am currently watching basic TV on a 28 inch Logik TV or my laptop - so it is safe to say my current standards arent high.

- That said id love to have something that will keep me happy for a few years.

So from reading many reviews and forums it seems the best option for almost anyone on a small ish budget was the 55 inch KS7000 - which I was very close to buying but is now sold out.
Anyone in-the-know know when it will be back in stock/will it ever? If so i may hold out but want a TV asap and dont want to miss out on other new year bargains.

Now this option has gone, i dont know really where i stand...

On the ground i dont watch any 4k, should i just save money and go cheap/low-end 4k tv like the samsung 6 series? I feel like i could live with a 'poor quality' tv if i saved a ton of cash.

Or is it still worth pumping money into good alternative to the ks7000 (and what is a good alternative considering my type of viewing)

Lastly i have seen many posts mention going for a good full HD only option - and the LG910 keeps popping up - this OLED option excites me, but is a little expensive (999-1300 from what i can see), also not 'future proof' but does this matter?

The lg910v is on an amazon lightning deal ive been alerted to - is this a safe option (buying a tv from amazon)?

Many thanks for taking time to read this, hope you can help.
[Edited original post to hopefully make a little more concise]

Last edited:
Might want to take a look at a thread I made here: UHD vs FHD

Particularly SD content looking worse on an UHD TV.

If so i may hold out but want a TV asap and dont want to miss out on other new year bargains.

The heavy discounting is between the end of November and the start of CES (now) so today saw several prices go back up.

Lastly i have seen many posts mention going for a good full HD only option - and the LG910 keeps popping up - this OLED option excites me, but is a little expensive (999-1300 from what i can see), also not 'future proof' but does this matter?

The output hardware is irrelevent for future proofing, it's only what signals the TV can accept that matter. The lack of HDCP 2.2 copy protection could conceivably matter ten years down the line and the older operating system may have it's apps discontinued a year or two earlier but generally it's not something I'd worry about.

Lighting deals are just Amazon's term for it's sales, it's no different from buying from them normally.

On the ground i dont watch any 4k, should i just save money and go cheap/low-end 4k tv like the samsung 6 series? I feel like i could live with a 'poor quality' tv if i saved a ton of cash.

In some respects you get the worst of both worlds from something like a KU6000. Personally I've discounted them and will be going for either the best Full HD TV I can find (probably the Samsung K6300 as the 910V won't fit) or spending a bit more and at least getting some HDR support.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the replies. Think full HD only is the best way for me to go for now.

Im very tempted by the LG 910v OLED tv, just need to find a good deal. As its OLED, should i focus on getting a good warranty? Im concerned about screen burn or other OLED issues but places like amazon (with only 1 year i think) are abt 200 quid cheaper. Worth the extra to go to somewhere like richer?

Or maybe i just put up with something like the Samsung J6240 55inch at about £500 - seems equally tempting to save the money.

Is it ever worth considering resale values with TVs nowadays? I am guessing no as the tech moves so fast, but wonder with something like OLED, would it hold its value at all?

The 910v is a very good TV if you can still find one, you're right, finding one with a warranty is difficult when they are low in supply. I don't think there is any more risk than with an LCD as far as the TV going wrong but there's always the chance of being unlucky.

If the warranty is not a risk you are prepared to take spending less on a J6300 or J6240 samsung is a good bet.

Bit the bullet and bought the 910v - now selling on Amazon for £876! Felt like too much of a bargain to miss out on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'm impressed and don't have to test Amazon's returns dept.

Thanks again all for the help and continued feedback on people's questions. I may have spent the last week reading through these pages but at least I've learnt something and will have a lovely TV come next week (hopefully)...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom