What tumble drier?

if you've got somewhere to hang a pipe out of a window then vented, if not the condensed.

i hate the condensed ones to be fair, they usually make your clothes really creased.

i have a rather cheap indesit(indishit) tumble dryer, vented, and it is really good to my surprise. most clothes that come out dont need ironing. in fact its so good at it, i dont bother hanging clothes out even when the weather is fit for it!!

im not sure ur gonna get a melie for your budget tho

Like in post 2 Meile is the best but consider the electricity bill :D

thanks for the help, is it a general characteristic of condensed ones to crease clothes or do the rubbish ones only do it? I dont think my parents want to put a hole through the wall, which is what you have to do with a vented one right?

We have never owned a clothes line :eek: All drying gets done in the drier overnight to cut down on the costs.

I took the plug off ours, have seen a drop in bills because of it.
It does seem like hard work taking it out, handing it, then bringing back in but after a while its just part of everyday life.
If its wet outside we use a clothes horse

We've got a condensing type - you just empty the water tank when full. It's pretty easy really.

It's currently sat in my shed at the bottom of the garden. I refuse to put any of my clothes in it because they come out fit for a 9 year old after an hour or so in the thing.

Now it's either the whirlygig or the radiators - the house looks untidy a good proportion of the time but I'd rather that than wreck my clothes. I have a hard enough time getting in my clothes as I get older anyway, without help from the incredible shrinking machine.

thanks for the help, is it a general characteristic of condensed ones to crease clothes or do the rubbish ones only do it? I dont think my parents want to put a hole through the wall, which is what you have to do with a vented one right?

Yup you need to make a hole in the wall.

This has pros and cons.

Pros - you get to hire an enourmous drill and diamond core bit and get to pose like it's the BFG from Doom.

Cons - you have to sit still for a few hours actually drilling the hole - you'll be amazed how slow such a big drill can be.

Assuming bricks walls (rather than random stone), it doesn't make much mess, is easy to do and will take less than a morning.

We've had a Bosch condenser for 6 years.

It doesn't crease clothes.

It doesn't shrink clothes.

I've also got a Bosch as i find most Bosch products are good quality and reliable from my experience anyway :)

i think u can get a little box type thingy that u can put your pipe from your vented dryer into and it stops all the condensation from the dryer. this means that u dont have to knock a hole in the wall, but simply use the box instead.
however this does warm up the room its in, so leave a window open in there.

Vented dries are cheaper to run than condensing although we keep our condensing drier in a bedroom and it warms upstairs quite nicely.

Just noticed this thread after buying a new drier ourselves and running it for a couple of days. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sensor drying - it stops when your cloths are dry. Genius. Because people always put it on for a bit longer than needed, it can save a lot of money over the year and less hassle. Set and forget.

We got condensed because they are much more convenient. There is not much to go wrong TBH, don't let that put you off because all they do is push the air through a metal box/radiator type thing that cools the air so the moisture drops out (i.e condenses) rather that just pumping it out and pulling new dry air in. Its a very simple process. Every month or so it gets pulled out and run under a tap. It can take a bit longer than vented , but thats ok if you have sensor drying, and not much anyway (our is faster than my mothers one and one we have at work, both vented) - how fast your washing machine spins makes more of a difference. Some can be set up as both vented and condenser now too. We have a decent Hoover model and i guess you get what you pay for. No problems with ours creasing and shrinking cloths, but we only put stuff in that can be tumble dried and use the right setting ;)

The other thing is reverse drying - drum goes both ways to stop stuff getting rolled up in a ball and taking ages or coming out a bit damp in the middle. And get the biggest drum size you can as it will dry faster. Don't, whatever you do, buy a washer-drier.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sensor drying - it stops when your cloths are dry.
Just assumed they all did it these days. That & performing an occasional tumble at the end of the cycle so that clothes don't crease in the bottom of the drum.

Maybe it's a lack of these features that have caused others problems.

I have a Creda but i hate tumble driers and only now use it if i desperately need clothes. Yes it is expensive to run but my main gripe is how they wreck clothes. I mainly wear sweat shirts, i buy XL and after a few spins there 2 sizes too small. Same goes for socks, i always say i will not put them in it, but they still used to go in Bigfoot socks up to size 13 wont even go over my ankles now. Invention of the devil, women seem to love them, I know 2 who use them no matter what the wether even hot summer days which to me is mad.

I have a Creda but i hate tumble driers and only now use it if i desperately need clothes. Yes it is expensive to run but my main gripe is how they wreck clothes. I mainly wear sweat shirts, i buy XL and after a few spins there 2 sizes too small. Same goes for socks, i always say i will not put them in it, but they still used to go in Bigfoot socks up to size 13 wont even go over my ankles now. Invention of the devil, women seem to love them, I know 2 who use them no matter what the wether even hot summer days which to me is mad.

TBH, im not a big fan of them. But when you have an 8 month old boy (messy enough, who is lactose intolerant and sick often) they are a god send. But you do have to be picky about what goes in - often stuff that says its ok on the labble should not be put it. Like you said, t shifts are the worst. Even so-called pre-shrunk ones - if they must go in, use a low heat, not cotton even if they are cotton.

I bought a Miele T7644C condenser a few months back and have had no problems with it apart from the door being slightly difficult to close, which isn't really a big deal. It dries well, the automatic cycle works well and if you have to go for a condenser, I'd recommend it.

I have had two Creda sensor driers neither of which fully dried the clothes before stopping so I always have to turn it back on at least once ( yes, two of them, I bought a more up to date model several years later assuming lightening couldn't possibly strike twice :rolleyes)

I have had two Creda sensor driers neither of which fully dried the clothes before stopping so I always have to turn it back on at least once ( yes, two of them, I bought a more up to date model several years later assuming lightening couldn't possibly strike twice :rolleyes)

That happens quite commonly and for two main reasons - 1) The condenser unit needs cleaning because they get full of soggy fluff after about a month of good use. 2) If you mix synthetics and cotton. With a condenser drier you usually have to be religious about keeping them apart. I could explain why, but i think it would bore you to tears. But basically they have two different water bearing properties, it's not just a heat setting issue.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom