• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What track are you working on?

HorseToWater

Forget SOTW for a moment. Is there a particular track, in or outside of Rocksmith that you are determined to master, note for note. Proper intonation and expression? I don't mean sometime in the dim, distant future – I mean in the next month or so.

In my case, it is Message in a Bottle. And I'm almost there. It's one more step up as an aspiring guitarist to be able to play a favourite track of mine with feeling, rather than simply precision. Are you having similar experiences?

Goooner

Distinguished Member
In a word, no :D

I probably should have some sort of immediate goal, I'm sure it would help, but as I've said many times before, I always have grand ideas of really learning any particular song, but never actually see it through :)

Maybe we should have a Song Of The Month, outside RS, we pick a song, everyone downloads the tab and we all work on it.

Hugh

Distinguished Member
No. Barely have enough time for Rocksmith these days. :(

Although I have a huge fat book of AC/DC tabs and I guess I should be able to play Back in Black at the very least. It ain't too hard, and it's one of many Angus tracks I'd love to play.

Might put Freebird on the back burner for a while. :rotfl:

Unfortunately, my destop PC is running as a media server under XP, so Rocksmith +Custom DLC is a no-go for the moment.

Last edited:
Yep unchained by the might van Halen

Also since Iv Been loving you by zeppelin
And one of the most awesome riffs ever, ever Oh Well by Peter Green but its one of those riffs that I just can't seem to get!!! But one day or in an instant It will click :)

Bri

KungFuPro

Before I got Rocksmith I was trying to work out a couple of Jimi Hendrix songs, 51st Anniversary & Wait Until Tomorrow. The basic chords aren't too hard but all the intricate notes inbetween are a struggle as each verse changes slightly. I don't think I'd be able to copy them note for note anyway but I'd be happy with covers that sounds somewhat like the the album versions.

Been working on some Iron Maiden 'Maiden England' songs too since the new release, but Rocksmith has sidetracked me a bit :D.

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member
This is what I'm currently messing about with.

To be able to sound like that:D Downloaded a Lick Library DVD of that some years ago on a previous failed 'lets start guitar again' moment after seeing a great Bulgarian player do it most nights on a cruise.

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member
I did set myself projects over the last 18 months to play a song as good as I can, then record it learning bass as well as I went along. Also adding on my wife doing some electronic drums and Daughter singing!! Did 3, All Right Now, Hey Joe and You've Lost That Lovin Feeling (The Firm version!) as old timers here have heard, LOL.

Having a project really kept me at a song, was thinking I should really start another. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I'm never really satisfied with the result once recorded, but in the end you have to call it a day for one's sanity.

Out of all the RS songs, I am slowly trying to get Spider And The Fly better, and maybe that would be my next project because unlike my other choices, no one will have ever heard of it unless they collect Stones B sides!!

Christian 71

Distinguished Member
This is what I'm currently messing about with.

Such a great song, makes me want to pick up a guitar every time I hear it... :smashin:

I'm working on my Grade 4 pieces in the background at the mo'. So this is my current project:

The good thing about graded pieces is they feel achievable whereas I find mastering a lot of songs can be a bit out of reach, especially when you get to the solo. :blush:

Had a go at summer of 69 this week in my lesson as a fun distraction to improve my strumming technique.

[EDIT] Sorry meant to post the above as a link...forgotten how to do it :(

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I did Summer Of 69 a while back in my lessons a while back, good fun song, the arpeggio Dsus and Asus whatever's are a bit tricky to get up to speed, good practice though.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
That's somewhere on my "must learn someday" list too, along with about a thousand other songs :laugh:

Christian 71

Distinguished Member
Had to have some retail therapy after all these new guitars, so bought a new book which arrived this morning. It's the next RGT songbook in series for Grade 4-5:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Graded-Rock...r=8-1&keywords=Graded+Rock+songs+intermediate

Pretty impressed. There is a good range of songs and even though they are dummed down versions there's enough to keep them near enough to be interesting. Sweet child of Mine for example has the main riff then you switch to rythm until the first solo and it ends just as the main solo switches to the bridge pickup (ie where it gets hard :D).

Can recommend if someone wants to pick some songs to work on and learn note for note. I can't see me ever playing SCoM note for note but I'd be happy enough playing the version in this book as part of my Grade 5.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Sounds good. What are the other songs?

It does annoy me when amazon list these kind of books yet never show the song list :(

I've got the grade 1-3 songbook, which is good but obviously very basic.

Might get this one if its got a few other good songs.

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member
I can't see me ever playing SCoM note for note but I'd be happy enough playing the version in this book as part of my Grade 5.

Aren't you doing Rockschool syllabus rather than RGT? Or are the grades interchangeable?

I did enjoy the RGT grade 3 version of All Right Now that my previous tutor gave me to work on. Still difficult like Bilbo says - because of the strumming, but a simplified solo that still sounded nice, and just about achievable for our level:D

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member

AndrewH13

Distinguished Member

Christian 71

Distinguished Member
Yup that's the one, the first 4 in that order are Grade 4 and the following Grade 5.

I'm doing Rockschool, but like the RGT you are allowed to pick one song of suitable level. It's nice to have some different songs to choose from and the Rockschool Hotrocks only go upto Grade 3 at the mo.

Not in any rush to complete Grade 4 this time around. I want to concentrate on scales and improvisation up front rather than cram nearer the end. Grade 4 does feel quite a step up from Grade 3, but then Grade 5 doesn't look quite so bad.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Yep, that's the one I've got. The first two levels are really too simplified, but 3 isn't bad.

Some good songs in the other one. Might have to get that :)

GloopyJon

Distinguished Member
So what sort of grade level are the songs that we're doing in the SOTW? Just out of interest, I haven't thought of taking exams on the guitar (the last one I did was Grade 7 Singing some years ago - I would have done Grade 8 too, but the oral tests require too much theory for me).

Christian 71

Distinguished Member
I guess that depends on what score/percentage you get :)

They probably range from Grade 3-8 if you Master mode them. There are some guidelines on the RGT and Rockschool websites.

Of course on SOTW you can play as many times as you need, in an exam you only get one go. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom