What to with a failed probation period with regard to CV

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in a job last year for 6 months and failed the probation, they brought me into a room in November and I was gone straight away, pretty much totally out of the blue. I'm not going to go into the ins and outs other than after 4 months I was told they were extremely happy with me, then I had problems (for 2 months) with the most difficult and unhelpful person I've ever met and reported him to the team lead. I don't know of course, but I think that's why they got rid of me. I was planning to leave that job in January, even if I passed probation as I wasn't particularly happy there.
Now I'm looking for a new job preferably a contract. However this job is on my CV as I wasn't sure what to do seeing as it's a big 6 month space to fill. I had an agency onto me there and they asked me could I get a reference from this place if I got the contract job. I just said yes to avoid awkward questions, and they think that last job was a contract and not a failed permanent role. It's early days and I can go back to change the CV if need be though it's messy as the job is on my linked in etc.
What advice can you give me? Within the last 2 years I have 2 other places from where I can provide references but it's a bit of a minefield. Should I just take this place off my CV and say I went traveling or something? No idea what to do with it.

As it sounds like you won't get a good reference from the last job then yes I would definitely remove it.

Far better to have an empty space than to get a bad reference which would probably be something like your a trouble maker.

Lots of options you could put instead, travelling though you will need to know your stuff as your bound to be asked about it. Caring for a family member, education, or even taking time out to work things out/do house improvements.

Or if you have a good friend, make up a business and get them to give a reference saying you have been working for them. Done that a few times, anyone who trusts a reference is an idiot in my eyes

As it sounds like you won't get a good reference from the last job then yes I would definitely remove it.

Far better to have an empty space than to get a bad reference which would probably be something like your a trouble maker.

Lots of options you could put instead, travelling though you will need to know your stuff as your bound to be asked about it. Caring for a family member, education, or even taking time out to work things out/do house improvements.

Or if you have a good friend, make up a business and get them to give a reference saying you have been working for them. Done that a few times, anyone who trusts a reference is an idiot in my eyes

Yes I think I'll remove it. I'm getting asked if I am still there and when can I start a new job. The only reason I left it there was in the hope of being able to provide references from the previous 2 places I was in before that job.

I wouldn't rush to remove it certainly - could raise awkward questions on probing.

The big question for me is - do they have any actual bad things that can say? Usually an 'hr' reference confirms you were there from x date to y date and not much more. A personal reference from a manager has more 'he was a great guy' stuff. Did you have a good relationship with anyone senior that lasted until the end of your time?

You can still leave those previous jobs and in the unlikely chance they mention the firm you moved to and failed, just say they pulled the offer just before you started. It's rare but does happen, hence why you did what you did for the 6 months. Reason like you where going to cover maternity leave but she miss carried....

Remember its all just a game

I really would not go down a 'story' route - far too easy to get it wrong and pick up a bad reputation.

I wouldn't rush to remove it certainly - could raise awkward questions on probing.

Disagree, the fact that he was on probation and then let go has a to high chance of coming up. A reason probably wouldn't be given but the damage is done.

I agree though that the OP needs to be prepared for any questions about what he says he did do in that time

I would not remove it, sets you up for lots of issues.

Are HR even allowed to give a bad reference now, I believe they just give start and end dates.

I really would not go down a 'story' route - far too easy to get it wrong and pick up a bad reputation.

Yes it's a tricky one. Unfortunately by now some places think I was there on contract and some think I was there permanent. I've screwed up. I was originally just saying I was still there and they won't provide a reference as they aren't happy with me leaving but that's crap.
So from now on I should say it was permanent and I left of my own volition?

The big question for me is - do they have any actual bad things that can say? Usually an 'hr' reference confirms you were there from x date to y date and not much more. A personal reference from a manager has more 'he was a great guy' stuff. Did you have a good relationship with anyone senior that lasted until the end of your time?

No they couldn't even give me a good reason as to why they were letting me go. I went out for burgers with them the week before and it was all happy families.
When I asked the manager about references he said that he'd have to make it known I failed probation.

Remember that businesses tend to give neutral factual references.

Mostly along the lines of

Period of employment
Number of days sick
Job title

They don't tend to get into subjective comments because of the legal implications should they adversely impact your career.

Cheers,

Nigel

A tragic but believable reason for a firm pulling a job offer.

No details are needed, no questions would be asked.

Yes it's a tricky one. Unfortunately by now some places think I was there on contract and some think I was there permanent. I've screwed up. I was originally just saying I was still there and they won't provide a reference as they aren't happy with me leaving but that's crap.
So from now on I should say it was permanent and I left of my own volition?

You could say it didn't work out for either party. These things happen.

A senior director in my place was let go within his probationary period also in November, but I know the boss bears no malice towards him and certainly wouldn't bad mouth the guy to any potential employers.

Are HR even allowed to give a bad reference now, I believe they just give start and end dates.

They can say the truth - good or bad.

They have nothing to gain really from giving a negative reference, and don't want to end up in court, so I highly doubt they are going to say much about anything these days other than the bare facts.

I will contact the HR person in this place and ask if I can get a reference from her which is just matter of fact. I never fell out with her or the manager.

No details are needed, no questions would be asked.

Are you saying you would use this as an excuse for not being kept on to a future employer, or an employer would use this for not offering a position post probation period?

Are you saying you would use this as an excuse for not being kept on to a future employer, or an employer would use this for not offering a position post probation period?
Neither, I would only use the excuse if I said a firm had offered me a job and withdraw the offer just before I had been due to start

Do you know anyone locally that runs a business? Is so you could ask them to apply to this company for a reference. That way you'll know for certain what they say.

But as previously said, if they're big enough to have an HR dept. then I don't think you have anything to fear.

Edit
I agree that you should avoid any fairy tales for now.

You still get maternity leave in the case of a miscarriage. I really would not go down this strange path. Far better ways to play 'the game'.

Be honest, always be honest, be reflective and be learned from the experience of the job.

Do you know anyone locally that runs a business? Is so you could ask them to apply to this company for a reference. That way you'll know for certain what they say.

But as previously said, if they're big enough to have an HR dept. then I don't think you have anything to fear.

Edit
I agree that you should avoid any fairy tales for now.

I emailed the HR one in that job because I can't go through the whole interview process only to have the rug pulled at the last minute.
There's another fly in the ointment..I wrote a pretty bad Glassdoor review of that place and from what I have heard they seriously suspect it was me who wrote it, even though it's anonymous.

So I should tell them it was a permanent role and it was pulled because the woman I was replacing came back to work suddenly as she had a miscarriage? But it was a permanent role..

Never said that, I meant that if the 2 firms you do want to keep say you left to join the firm you don't mention, then questions would be asked. In which case you say you had left that firm, just about to start but it fell through because..... Hence why it's not on your cv

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom