1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to use?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by guvvie, Sep 6, 2005.

1. guvvie

guvvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,
    I was going to buy a J S Technology RGB scart to YUV to connect my sky+ to my av reciever, when I found this. Why is there £135 price difference when they both claim to do the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That is a very good question.

It depends what the cable hides in the shell of the scart.

I may have one of these in my loft actually... I never read the packet and assume it was scart-RGB with no syncs (which I needed).

I believe there is a way to passively convert the video, but if this is the case, It cannot be of any quality for projectors or plasmas etc.

The benifit of spening the £130 more is to have an active box, with active circuits, which does not play with impedances to gain the correct levels of video on the outputs, which can lead to a noisy, weak signal.

This is based on theory, not practice because I've never used a pasive devise for transcoding.

I may dig out my cable today or tomorrow and see what this is about...

Gareth.

3. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Interesting. I know there is a way to convert RGB Scart to Component simply through a cable and there are several threads in this forum. However, if I remember correctly, in addition to the 3 YUV connections there is a fourth one needed that provides the sync signal to the normal composite input. Also, inside the scart plug there needs to be some re-wiring done. I don't think there is a way of achieving this with only three YUV connections and am pretty sure this cable won't work.

4. guvvie

guvvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If you currently use a active box to convert the signals I would appreciate it if you could try out the cable that you have in the loft, then let me know what the picture is like after being passively converted. Don't want to waste £135 on something that only makes a neglidgable difference.

thanks

5. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I dont use a converter at home, but I am a broadcast hardware/systems engineer in Soho, and transcoding is as common where I work as post-it notes and paperclips in an office!

I'll dig it out and confirm if it is what I think it is (i'll cut it open and take a look aswell).

If there are any interesting findings, I'll post a photo aswel!

I'll keep you posted.

Gareth.