Answered WHAT TO USE TO CONNECT CAMBRIDGE CXN TO OLD SCHOOL HK395i RECEIVER

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by groovalicious, Jul 15, 2018.

1. groovalicious

groovalicious
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    WHAT TO USE TO CONNECT CAMBRIDGE CXN TO OLD SCHOOL HK395i RECEIVER?
    I can't get to my manual or my box that my Cambridge CXN came in right now. I bought it a long time ago, but never set it up. I have spent the afternoon staring at it, working my way through a few preliminaries with connecting it to my wifi and with Spotify. I upgraded the firmware. I had thought I remembered being told that the CXN would convert digital to analog and that I could hook up the CXN using the red and white RCA's, connecting them to the phono input on my old school receiver to filter the CXN to my speakers that are attached to my old school component system. The speakers are Cambridge towers and they seem to play just fine with the components.

Anyway, I hooked it up with the stereo audio cable and it played... really horribly! Oh, the sound was so terrible. Something is very, very wrong. It sounds like it's coming in from a radio station that you can barely tune in. Very noisy and ugly. I connected the cables on the CXN side to LINE OUTPUT. Could that be wrong?

I don't know if I need different cables. or if I need a different tablet. Or if I need a completely different receiver. Or if I need something else. The cables I used were from Radio Shack. Red and white.

The only other thing I can add is that I was using a 5th Generation Amazon Fire to stream the Spotify. The music sounds normal through the speaker on the Fire, but maybe the Fire doesn't get along with the CXN??

I just switched out the cable to some premium gold tipped Auvio stereo cables that I had in the house. No difference.

Please help! Thank you!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by RBZ5416, Jul 15, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    Which input on the amp did you use? Could it have been the phono input by any chance

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,407
    Best Answer
    As above, if you've connected to the input marked Phono then that's your problem. You need to connect to Video/CD or Tape In. If both are already in use then you'll need an RCA/phono switch box to share.

If the CXN is like the previous product you will also need to ensure that the output is set to fixed line level in the settings menu & not variable (pre-amp).

Manual

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  5. groovalicious

groovalicious
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, thanks, Jamie and RBZ5416, I did use the phone input. Thank you for your responses.

RBZ5416, I will give that a try, probably later today. I very much appreciate the advice!

6. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    You answered the question in your post... The only time you use a phono input is when you are feeding a signal directly from a turntable. The gain is much higher than other inputs so you will be overloading the internal amplifier and creating distortion and a phono preamp has a particularly defined frequency response called RIAA equalisation, which is intended to correct a deliberately engineered response for vinyl.
    Use any other input ...

7. groovalicious

groovalicious
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you, Dannnielll! It is such a relief to get this information.

8. groovalicious

groovalicious
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You guys at avforums totally rock! I know, I should wait till I apply your knowledge to say that, :D -- but thanks for starting my day with hope and enthusiasm! Later....

9. groovalicious

groovalicious
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ahhh... sweet relief! Switched the RCA's to the Video/CD input and all is good. :clap: Thanks again. You made a big difference in someone's life. :thumbsup: -- Healthier and more effective than Xanax!