What to upgrade

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jpr141, Feb 11, 2009.

1. jpr141

jpr141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    I have the denon 2808 receiver and a monitor audio bronze speaker set up. My question is which of them do you think would gain the most benefit in sound quality if changed, the receiver upgraded or speakers upgraded.?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Which Monitor Audio Bronze speakers? And the answer is probably going to be speakers. I'd have to look up the specs on the Denon 2808, but I'm under the impression that it is high quality with substantial power, and selling in the range of £600 to £700. That price range is really the sweet spot between price and quality.

So, again, what MA Bronze speakers do you have, and how much money are you willing to spend?

Steve/bluewizard

3. jpr141

jpr141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    I have monitor audio BR2's at the front a bronze BRLCR centre speaker and BR1 rears, with a velodyne sub. I know the denon 2808 is meant to be quite powerful, but i seem to have to turn it up pretty high to get a reasonable level of sound output. Also when i turn things up to a pretty high volume level, the tone of the sound changes to a less rich or full sound and a bit more harsh sounding, the speakers do not sound distorted though. Is this a sign the receiver is running out of steam or that the speakers are at there limit, im not to sure.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I can't agree with Steve on this one - Change the amp.

Power specs be dammed, it hasn't got anything like the power of the £1000 crop and it doesn't have the extra discrete power supplies for every circuit with the attendant improvement in clarity, detail and channel separation that they bring.

Demoing something like a 3808 or Onkyo 876 will leave you in no doubt.

Russell

5. jpr141

jpr141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    Would an onkyo 805 or even the yamaha 863, have the same effect if i can get a hold of these amps.?

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    I don't disagree with Russ in general, but I'm not sure we need to jump to that just yet.

I'm wondering about your setup. If the speakers individually are set low, that means you need to bring the master volume up, and you could be clipping the early stages of your amp, stages ahead of the power outputs.

You really should be able to rock the house with a 50 watt amp, so certainly a 100watt amp should do the job.

But as Russ indirectly points out, it is not so much the power of the individual power amps that matters as much as it is the ability of the power supply to deliver the power to the amps. A weak power supply will inhibit even the most powerfully rated amps.

What Russ is speaking of, I think, is that better amps have separate transformers and power supplies for different sections of the amplifier. So, they are loaded separately. A surge in one channel doesn't drag down the power supply of the other channels.

The BR2's while not a huge speaker, should be more than up to the job.

Is this problem happening strictly on music, just one video, or on both?

While I stand by what I said, at the same time, I don't really disagree with Russ's basic premise. In the end though, I don't think you have given us enough information to make an informed comment.

At this stage, knowing the amp and speakers, I'm leaning more toward it being a setup problem. Explain your setup procedure and how confident are you that the system is setup correctly?

There are many people who have Denon 1909, and are happy, so I don't see why your 2808 should not outperform those smaller models.

Oh and...you haven't actually give us a budget for the upgrade.

Though I confess, surround sound it not really my area.

Steve/bluewizard

7. jpr141

jpr141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    The channel levels are not low as such, the centre is +1.0db and the others are set to 0db. I did take a bit of a gamble on the 2808 because of the very good price i got it for in a sale. I am mainly thinking my set up lacks something during movies, as this is the area im most concerned about the sound quality in, as music is played on my hifi. Maybe i should have done more research before buying, later on i read that some people seemed to think the 1908,2308,2808 series was not up to denons standards of the years previous. But it also seems denon have recovered again with the 1909 series, i bought my 2808 before they came out.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  8. jpr141

jpr141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    Anyway maybe we will come to some sort of conclusion tomorrow. :boring::)

9. jpr141

jpr141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    By the way guys, what do you think the going rate is for my denon 2808 if i were to sell it.?