1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to upgrade to ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ian_linington, Apr 10, 2003.

1. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I'm in the process of buying a detached house and when I move in I'll have enough room to get all my old AV equipment.

The problem is that I am going to want to upgrade it almost immediately, currently I have (at my parents) :-

Kef K160 Fronts
    Kef 100 Centre
    Yamaha SW20 Sub
    Cannon V100 Rears
    Sherwood AVP8500 AV amp
    Pioneer 1750 Laserdisk player
    Pioneer 717 DVD
    Nad tuner (I can't remember the number)
    Thompson TVP1 projector (no longer working)

I've got my eye on a Velodyne HGS-15 sub from Uncle Eric but depending on funds might be forced to settle for the CHT-15.

As my current Amp is only Pro-Logic and has no sub output it is going to be the first to go in a long line of upgrades.

I have been thinking about getting the Denon 3803 or AVC-A11SR. What do people think about these and what others should I think about demoing

Thanks in advance

Ian L.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    What's your budget?

3. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently around £1500, but I want to get something that will last for a while so I could be tempted to wait a couple of months and then push the boat out for the Denon AV1SR (around £2500 I believe).

Cheers

Ian L.

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    £1500 just for the AV amp? Or do you want to get speakers and things out of that too?

5. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for the Amp.

I'm thinking about spending 10K over several years to replace it all (more if I can't get the projector repaired and have to get another one).

Regards

Ian L.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I had your system, this is what I'll change..

Processor/poweramp setup, say Lexicon MC-1 (now for £1500) much better than newer, cheaper processors. MC-1 is lacking features of newer processors, but if you just want the best sound quality & DD/DTS processing, it's a good buy. Originally £5500

Poweramp, Rotel 1075/1095/993/991. From £400 to £1800.

Subwoofer. Can't really say anything good/bad about Velodyne, because I've never heard them.

Rears, try out monopoles/bipoles/dipoles and sides & surrounds (you might prefer the different types)

Are the Kef K160's good? Never heard of them.

And of course TV! What do you want- large CRT/CRT RPTV/Plasma/LCD PJ/CRT PJ?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For that money i would look at demoing, In the house if possible, a Rotel pre/power combi RMB1075 Pamp with a RSP1066 Pro and a then a ProgScan DVD may be the DenonDV88PLUS or DVD2800/II if PS isn't an Issue Then a sub and some better rears/ full package. and a video display Plasma?? or PJ!!For the money you are talking ahome demo is a necessity.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    For DVD player ... look at the Pioneer 757ai too ... as good a picture (on RGB onto a 32" CRT anyway) as the Arcam DV88, about £400 less, and with a promised (firmware) upgrade for PAL PS.

Heartily recoment the RSP1066, can save a bit of money if you don't mind s/h by buying a RB985 MkII instead of the RMB1075. Then later you can upgrade the processor to a TAG or similar. Or look at s/h processors arround £1500 to begin with (TAG AV32R, Lexicon MC1 come to mind).

9. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help..

I'm going to look at demoing :-

Demon A11SR
    Pioneer AX10i
    and the Rotel RSP1066/RMB1075 (from your comments and also as it also got a good review in What Hi Fi)

Can anyone recommend any good shops to go in Surrey ?? And where is the cheapest place to buy from (shops/internet) ??

Regards

Ian L.

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The Rotel kit you won't find online ... and won't be advertised at a discount but you should be able to negotiate 10-15% discount in-store.

The Denon and Pioneer will be cheeper online ... but I would urge you to buy from a shop if you've used their demo facilities ... otherwise (if lots of people demo then buy online) you'll find next time you want a demo of stuff they won't be there.

Sorry can't help with recomendations of shops in Surrey.

Vikki

11. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I just got back from demoing the Denon A11SR vs Rotel 1066/1075. What a difference !!

The Rotel pair sounded so much better, more defined and the trebble was less tinny. Even the dealer I went to is stopping stocking the Denon A11SR cos for the same price you can get a much better package in the Rotel. (you can also upgrade it so much easier in the future !)

I have ordered them in silver and they will be in the shop next wednesday (although I won't be able to pick them up till Sat)

I was very pleased cos they gave me a very large discount on the rotel and leads. All you have to do is ask nicely (or in my case very very nicely) :D :D :D

Thanks for all your help..... Let the fun begin :devil:

Ian L.

12. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That's an encouraging trend. Our local Sevenoaks is doing the opposite - they're getting rid of their TAG separates 'cos they say everybody buys the big, scary all-in-one AV amp instead. :(

'Course, it meant they had an AV30R going for £1150 :)eek:) and an AV32R for £1500, but I didn't have the cash... :suicide:

Dunc

13. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dunkyboy,

That's funny as I went to my local Sevenoaks for the demo !

(Mind you they had only knocked the Denon down to £1500 so it wasn't *much* of a saving)

Ian L.