What to upgrade next

Itsthesmell

Established Member
Reaction score
My system consists of an Onkyo TXNR636 A/V amp and B&W 603s3 speakers and it like an improvement of sound quality, what would be the next thing to upgrade for better sound quality for music?
I got the speakers off EBay for £300 and the amp from richer sounds for £389. I dont mind goin second hand for speakers but if the amp needs upgrading then anything upto £600 is my budget.

Thanks for reading.

Darren

What do you find is lacking from your current sound? What bit would you like to improve?
An upgrade of AVR should give some gains since you are probably not getting the absolute best from the speakers at the moment. That said there is not a huge gap in quality difference between your AVR and speakers so you may not get that much of an improvement. So I would upgrade the AVR first and see how that sounds but may need a speaker upgrade to get what you are looking for in the long term.

Sorry for late reply, I find music is missing something, a sense of involvement. I had a pair of mission 733 floor standing speakers and they were more punchy, so im thinking of going back to those. or possibly goin for the 734s, would the sound from the 734s be slower than the 733s. or is there a speaker youd recommend over the missions?

the 733's sound really good with electronica (namely Balance 026) I could sit in front of them for the whole album and enjoy it. I just dont get that with the 603 S3's.

Where you using the Mission speakers with the same amplification and in the same room?

Assuming the B&W's are positioned correctly and a good 'match' for your room it ought to be simple enough to try out alternative amplification.

Joe

No, I used the missions with a Sony 2 channel, then I bought the b&w's and the music wasn't as involving. Then I bought an Onkyo txnr636 for the living room and moved the b&w' s downstairs so tbh I don't know what the missions will be like with the Onkyo because I sold them.

I would try and borrow a half decent 2-Channel Amp and see how you get on with the B&W's.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom