I've been gradually upgrading my system,

Which currently consists of the following

Rega Planar 3 (2016 model)
Cambridge Audio CXA60
Sonos Connect
Chord Mojo
Cambridge Audio 640A
Mission 753 speakers

I'm happy with the source end of things and have a few headphone amps that I love but feel that the amp and/or speakers need an upgrade, just not sure what's the best bet for first upgrade?

Happy to spend say £1000-1500ish on either or just not sure what would be the best bet to start! Rega Elicit-R or similar or start with the speakers?

Thoughts?

I've been gradually upgrading my system,

Which currently consists of the following

Rega Planar 3 (2016 model)
Cambridge Audio CXA60
Sonos Connect
Chord Mojo
Cambridge Audio 640A
Mission 753 speakers

I'm happy with the source end of things and have a few headphone amps that I love but feel that the amp and/or speakers need an upgrade, just not sure what's the best bet for first upgrade?

Happy to spend say £1000-1500ish on either or just not sure what would be the best bet to start! Rega Elicit-R or similar or start with the speakers?

Thoughts?
You'll get better advice if you say what you feel is lacking, or what you want to improve

A pair of these would set you back about £1400.

Adam A8X

Pretty awesome too. They can be driven by the preouts in your amp.

Thai would also give you time to save and ponder the purchase of a newer and better preamp.

At the moment I'd suggest this mighty fine beast. Extremely flexible and Parasound has a rep second to none.

Model Halo P5 « Parasound

Or, perhaps better yet. Sell the amp and speakers you have and go all in for a pair of these.

KEF LS50 Wireless - United Kingdom

Quite fabulous by all accounts.

First, you have TWO AMPS, Cambridge CXA60 and Cambridge 640A, can you explain that, and can you tell us how and if you are using both amps?

I can't see anything inherently wrong with you system - decent amps, good speakers, good turntable - so I'm not sure what to recommend.

Likely you could use some new speakers, depending on the condition of the existing speakers -

Mission 753 - Manual - 2-way sealed with bass assist loudspeaker system - HiFi Engine

Those are big efficient speakers. But if you have £1000 to £1500 to spend, likely speaker are the place to start, and likely you will need all that money to exceed the speakers you have. I would say, for speakers, and depending what is on sale, you need to be in the roughly £500/pr up to about £1500/pr to get an improvement over my impression of the Mission 753.

There are perhaps more refined speakers than the Mission, but you really need to consider what it is you want from new speakers. Are you interested in heavy bass, or crystal clarity. Typically, though not always, you can only have one. Though there is a middle ground where you get a bit of both, but not full on of either.

The Cambridge CXA60 is a very decent modern amp with Digital Inputs and Pre-Amp Outputs. On the expensive side, but not excessively so. I believe the CXA60's run about £560 or in that neighborhood. That's above average in the price of an Amp.

The Cambidge 640A, I believe, is a 75w/ch amp and the CXA60 is 60w/ch. Neither would be considered high powered, but both would be considered sufficient power for most common speakers.

I'm not sure I can recommend anything for a similar price that can exceed those amps.

The CXA60 does have a Pre-Amp out, so you could potentially add a Power Amp and continue using the Cambridge CXA60 as your front end. Though Power Amps tend not to be cheap.

In speakers, it is going to depend on what type of sound you like. In a crisper sound, perhaps Monitor Audio Silver, or Tannoy Revolution. In a smoother speakers, perhaps Wharfedale.

Currently from SuperFi and perhaps a few other sources, the Wharfedale Diamond 240 (2x6.5"+5" Mid) speakers are on sale for under £500/pr (£700/pr retail), and the Kef Q700 (2x6.5") are on close-out for under £500/pr (£999/pr retail). Both very high value speakers at very substantial reductions.

The very large KEF Q900 (2x8") are £550/pr with a Suggested Retail of £1200/pr.

The Tannoy Revolution XT6F (2x6.5") are about £999/pr.

From HIFIX, the Monitor Audio Silver 6 are £799/pr (£1000/pr retail).

The Monitor Audio Silver 8 are £999/pr (£1250/pr retail).

In Amps, one option is to keep the CXA60 and add a power amp, though there are more expensive and more powerful Power Amps, these come in at a reasonable price.

From HIFIX -

Rotel RB-1552, 130w/ch, Class-AB - £745 (£845 retail)

Marantz MM7025, 140w/ch, - £699 (£799 retail)

The Rega Elicit-R is indeed a fine amp ...as long as... you understand what you are getting. This is a very minimal analog only amp with minimal controls. Though I suspect it sound very good, and at £1600, it should sound good.

I would give serious thought to the condition of your speakers. Especially check the Surround Rings, the rubber or foam rings that attach the Cone to the Frame. These are usually the first thing to start deteriorating. If the feel chalky or gritty or seem to be crumpling, then time to either repair the speaker or move on to something new. And yes, just the Foam Rings can be replace for a reasonable price.

Next, how satisfied are you with the power and the features of your amps? 60w/ch is not huge, but it is more than adequate for most people. The CXA60 has many additional digital features that are certainly desirable. That should be a very good amp.

The Turntable (Rega Planar 3) should be fine. Though it could perhaps use a cartridge upgrade. What cartridge (as determined by the color) does it have?

If you system is lacking, and it is really not, then it is lacking probably in power and the speakers. Though the amp and speakers you have should do a very good job of it.

So, to really know how to advise you, we would need to know how your current system is lacking and specifically what it is you expect to gain from the new system.

Can you give us some sense of the original cost if the Mission 753 and what year they were made?

Steve/bluewizard

Apologies about the confusion it's the cambridge audio CXC I have (CD transport) not the amp listed.

Source wise I'm pretty happy and it does sound fantastic with a few of my headphones and my self built class A valve headphone amp. So I'm happy with that end of things.

Amp wise the cambridge audio 640 just doesn't seem to have the finesse or detail I'd like or the overall power, but those speakers don't need a lot of power really. Decent bass and everything just no wow factor or anything to really get me excited I guess.

The speakers are getting on a bit to say the least, must be talking about 20 years now, original cost was about £1000. I do like uprights though with multiple drivers, but that may be entirely due to my own preconceptions.

I suspect upgrading the speakers is the most sensible next step, but knowing me that'll make me want to to upgrade the amp to match them fairly quickly after!

So, the Cambridge Audio CXA60 in the original list should actually be the Cambridge CXC CD Transport? You current active amp is the Cambridge 640A ... correct?

I'm still convinced Speakers are the place to start, though the Mission 753 are generally well regarded. But perhaps 20 years has take its toll. Though I imagine you would find a market for them, if you decide to sell them.

Did you check the condition of the Surrounds? If they are in good shape, you should have no trouble selling those speakers to off-set the cost of new.

I would expect the KEF Q700 on close-out to be very high value. You could probably keep the speakers for a year or two, and if you didn't like them, you could sell them for near what you paid for them (currently £495/pr, Retail £999/pr). That is probably the highest value deal available anywhere right now. The Wharfedale Diamond 240 coming in at a close second.

There is nothing near £500 that can touch either of these speakers.

KEF Q700 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 240 Floor Standing Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

If you want to jump up closer to £1000/pr, there are a few more options -

Monitor Audio Bronze 6 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Dali Zensor 7 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Tannoy Revolution XT6F Speakers - Superfi

Steve/bluewizard

Big fan of uprights and I probably need to be convinced of the active speaker route!

Having checked the condition of the surrounds they're okay but are showing some signs of wear, I'd not seen the best reviews of the Kef Q series, but have just been offered a new (unboxed) pair of XT6F's for £500 so will be picking those up to cover my speaker needs for now at least!

Big fan of uprights and I probably need to be convinced of the active speaker route!

Having checked the condition of the surrounds they're okay but are showing some signs of wear, I'd not seen the best reviews of the Kef Q series, but have just been offered a new (unboxed) pair of XT6F's for £500 so will be picking those up to cover my speaker needs for now at least!

That's a fantastic bargain !! Good on yer

That's a fantastic bargain !! Good on yer

I have these tannoys love them but worrying just now as I am having to move house shortly into a flat top floor so a bit nervous not to annoy anybody below...... only just bought them a month ago at £999 too

I have these tannoys love them but worrying just now as I am having to move house shortly into a flat top floor so a bit nervous not to annoy anybody below...... only just bought them a month ago at £999 too
How have you found the speakers in your new flat?

How have you found the speakers in your new flat?

They are ok but cannot really drive them hard or more than quite low really so I am a tad disappointed..... the fella downstairs has already complained and that was just with me getting up to pee in the early hours

Oh dear... I feel your pain as I myself recently moved into a ground floor flat which means the volume is restricted!! And my PMC 21 are better with volume. DOH

They are ok but cannot really drive them hard or more than quite low really so I am a tad disappointed..... the fella downstairs has already complained and that was just with me getting up to pee in the early hours

stick a bottle by your bed lol

Oh dear... I feel your pain as I myself recently moved into a ground floor flat which means the volume is restricted!! And my PMC 21 are better with volume. DOH

My units have a downwards firing bass port!!!! There is an oversized base wooden base to the speakers below it aswell ,
but I worry as the bloke is a known pain in the butt I am told
It has been suggested I get some granite plinths to dissipate the bass throw

Late to the party here, but I'd say change your speakers for sure.. you still have 1,000 left, plus you can make some profit on the XT6Fs :p :p

Though I'm a big fan of Monitor Audio, I wouldn't pair them with your Cambridge amp, bright amp + bright speakers didn't impress...

How about trying Wharfedale Diamond 250 or look at Focal Chorus 726 both pushing three way perfection ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom