Question What to upgrade next (or what is the weak link in my system?)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ntranced, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ntranced

ntranced
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have:

Pro-ject Debut Carbon (upgraded to acrylic platter and Blue cartridge)
    Pro-ject Tube Box S
    Denon DRA 100 amp
    Wharfedale Diamond 10.3 floorstanding speakers
    Wharfedale Diamond Subwoofer

I could spend up to £3k but I really don't want to spend that on a LP12 or something if what really needs the investment is my speakers.

The one item I'd be loathe to change would be the Denon, it ticks every box in terms of my requirements for inputs/outputs/bluetooth etc. The majority of my listening is vinyl but I'm also a guitarist with a home studio hence the Denon is a really, really useful tool as virtually anything can go in to it in one fairly neat little box.

I'm really lost as to where to go next. Be interested to hear anyones thoughts!

2. rorackowe

rorackowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I'd say amp and speakers. I'd either demo actives or a power amp and passives with your Denon as a pre amp as suggested above.

3. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    The setup deserve better speakers and I agree with the above, active or passive. Not sure about power amp. The 10.3 are 6ohms speakers so the Denon should be giving around 45w -50w approx. So what it has you may find is enough for your situation.

However, it's all well and good suggestions are given but we don't know what the problem is or why you feel the need to upgrade.
    So what to you is lacking or is it an itch that's wants to be scratched?

4. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Do you have any space/size limitations. Recommendations are a bit pointless without knowing more about the room, for starters. :)

Russell

5. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Tho I have no experience with the denon, I'm sure it is and I'm sure the monitors are great to you and others as you have recommended them to the hilt. Nothing wrong there as it is a valid suggestion but there's an equal argument for both or just some speaker position / room correction that could resolve the issue whatever that is as the OP has not said.

Or it could be just upgraduitus with a dose of itchy fingers with deep pockets :D

6. ntranced

ntranced
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any space or size limitations and I've been slowly upgrading my setup over the last couple of years. I started with a terrible £100 amp, an airstream or something. It was horrible and when I got the Denon last year the difference was like shaking water out of me ears. Before that I upgraded from a £20 phono amp to the Pro-ject Tube Box. Every year I try and improve the setup a little bit but I'm by no means "rich".

I have monitor speakers for my studio (although much cheaper than the Mackies) and hadn't really considered putting active/monitor studios on my hifi.

Right now my overall setup sounds pretty damn good but still looking to improve it!

7. D'@ve

D'@ve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Not unless you listen to them in a professional studio environment you won't. Most people don't.

8. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    The speakers are the weak point there. By a fair way, especially the subwoofer.

I'd suggest these

KEF LS50 Wireless

They will take the feed from the audio out on your Denon and you'd use the volume control of the speakers.

If you still need a sub with those ( you may not) then I'd go for a BK Electronics beast as they represent the best value I've come across anywhere in the sub world.

This one perhaps?

XXLS400-DF

Both together are well within your budget. And you'll be astonished at the difference. Astounded even.

The wharfedales are respected budget speakers, but still only budget. Proper actives will be the biggest upgrade you could make and certainly the most cost effective.

The only other ones I'm familiar with that have a built in preamp to take a feed from your Denon are the ones I use every day.

The AVI DM10s are a stunningly good and realistic speaker.

AVI Hi-Fi | a passion for sound

I can and do recommend the AVIs without reserve. Ive owned plenty of speakers, including active Adams and others, but the 10s outdo them in every respect. If you add their own sub, which can be run either directly from the 10s or from your Denon, you'll have a genuinely covetable, full range, hifi that you'll love to bits.