What to upgrade next for better quality audio?

Dead Stig

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Can I pick your Audiophile brains please?

My current setup is a Denon AVR 1440h (Denon AVR-1400 - Manual - Audio Video Surround Receiver - HiFi Engine)

It is powering 7 x Q Acoustics speakers...

2 x 3020 (fronts.)
4 x 3010 (surrounds at ear level and heights placed high on the side walls between front and surrounds)
1 x 3090 (centre)

And a single KEF PSW 2010 sub.

It’s a small room 4x3.5m.

My question is, where is my next upgrade? I’d like a new amp ideally that is 9.2 so that I can eventually add rear heights.

A marantz SR6012 is the only one in my price range that does that, it does have the benefit of MultiQ XT32 over the Denons MultiqXT. And also, from the specs it the sound output is much higher per channel.

(Marantz SR6012 - Manual - AV Surround Receiver - HiFi Engine)

Would the marantz provide me better audio quality with my current setup or would it be a sideways step? Or would a speaker upgrade be the next logical thing to do? Now my speakers are all installed, I’m very hesitant to change any of them unless it was to the Q acoustics 3000i series.

I’ll add that I don’t listen at high volumes and I have dynamic EQ enabled and dynamic volume set to low. I know people don’t like this in general, but I have to have it on because of my living situation.

Room treatment is not an option unfortunately as it’s in my living room and there’s no way my fiancé would have panels on the walls.

Thanks!

Some may see the SR6012 as a little over kill, but in reality it should enable you to get the most out of your speakers (just don't turn it up to the max as you will pop those speakers). I would say the Denon amp and the Kef woofer are certainly the weakest components that you have listed. So after the Denon is replaced with the SR6012, That would be my next agenda to improve audio sonic's in the room with a more competent subwoofer. After this, maybe look at some floorstands to let the Marantz show you what it can deliver

Marantz will certainly give you a better audio experience and be capable of driving better quality speakers as well and is a good starting place. Sub needs to be replaced as well.

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

Thanks for replying so swiftly and thoroughly guys!

So if we did it chronologically, are you both saying that the amp would be first priority and then the sub?

If the sub was to be replaced, what would it bring to the table over the KEF one that I currently have and what’s a good sub to look at.

This is my first home cinema system so I’m still learning as I go, and I’m not on a massive budget.

Yes you are correct in your assumptions. As to what a better woofer would deliver over the PSW. Well, the obvious would be depth, but you would gain a significant improvement with stop start ability. Even looking at a small sub like the Rel TZero would transform what you thought a subwoofer was for.

In reality, If I had to create an analogy, A good woofer on the same level as the Marantz should give you the same improvements you will experience when you upgrade to the SR6012 from your old Denon. Plus this type of woofer will enable you to maximise your front speakers potential when using them in conjunction with the high level inputs on the woofer. At that point, you may find that you don't wish to upgrade your other speakers as it will create an almost stereo sound when paired together

Yes you are correct in your assumptions. As to what a better woofer would deliver over the PSW. Well, the obvious would be depth, but you would gain a significant improvement with stop start ability. Even looking at a small sub like the Rel TZero would transform what you thought a subwoofer was for.

In reality, If I had to create an analogy, A good woofer on the same level as the Marantz should give you the same improvements you will experience when you upgrade to the SR6012 from your old Denon. Plus this type of woofer will enable you to maximise your front speakers potential when using them in conjunction with the high level inputs on the woofer. At that point, you may find that you don't wish to upgrade your other speakers as it will create an almost stereo sound when paired together

Okay, so on your advice I’ll go Reciever and then woofer at some point in the future then. I definitely can’t afford to do both! I do want the marantz so that I can add 2 more height channels too, so I have to factor that into the cost!

Thanks for your advice again!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom