What to upgrade: NAD C370, Tannoy DC6T, or HRT Music Streamer 2 DAC

MrBuffy

Novice Member
Hi,
I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting from my setup.
I'm streaming music from laptop (Macbook) through HRT Music Streamer 2 DAC into NAD C370 integrated amp to drive Tannoy DC6T speakers. Some music sounds fantastic (acoustic, jazz, classical) but anything with bass sounds muddied and unclear (rock, hiphop, soul, reggae).
The room isn't great acoustically (5 m x 5 m with rug on wooden floor, couple of leather sofas, only one acoustic panel on wall opposite speakers, one small bass trap in one corner).
My feeling is that the speakers are the problem, and am considering purchasing some older stand-mounts which might have tighter bass.
Advice gratefully received.

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

Post a photograph up of your room with the current speaker locations. No doubt the sages on here will be able to offer some advice. What you are describing is room interaction rather than speakers per se.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I am with @gibbsy, the tannoy reviews suggest a deep but punch bass, one even described it as similar to stand mounts only with a bit more depth. The Nads of the c370 era did tend to have a bit of bass enforcement but review suggest the c370 is less affected.

Therefore, room interaction is likely to be a cause, but have you played around with the tone controls winding back the bass a little? If you have the speakers pushed up near the wall or in the corners then this will also boost bass.

MrBuffy

Novice Member
Thanks both, here's a photo of the room. The acoustic panel is above the sofa opposite the speakers. There's probably space in the room corners for some bass traps.
IMG_20200911_083642.jpg

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Doesn’t look too bad, high ceiling, the alcove behind the right speaker and the bay window look like they could interact.

My starting point would be to move the small arm chair into the window bay, pull the speakers out 1m into the room and away from the side walls. See if that helps, if it does, start inching them back into place until the booming starts again.

The other thing you could try is rolled up socks in the rear ports, again try this and see if it helps, the more socks rolled up, the closer you get to a sealed box (I.e. more sealing, less air escaping).

gibbsy

The chair and alcove are a factor and as above move the chair out of the way and bring the speakers out into the room. The room itself doesn't look too bad, looks lovely to be honest with that window, but as we're talking audio there are some harsh surfaces in there.

A little digging about the NAD has highlighted poor bass control and perhaps this should be investigated further. It's not unusual for amps and speakers to not work together. I auditioned a Naim with KEF speakers and the bass was all over the place. Partnering with Rega and a completely different sound, much more control. It's there not outside the bounds of possibility that the NAD doesn't sit well with the Tannoys.

MrBuffy

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice. And yes, lovely room but lots of hard surfaces. I had a little play with moving the speakers forward 1m, that definitely helped. Will have to discuss with my better half about moving the chair...we have a difference of opinion about where it should go! I do have an option about trying another amp, but its yet another NAD (C325 BEE).
Solution for now is to move the speakers into the room when listening seriously.

MrBuffy

Novice Member
OK, I moved the chair as suggested...Wow, what a difference. Stereo imaging is better, the whole thing feels airier, I can hear bass note by note. Can't believe a little chair could make such a difference. Difficult conversation about the chair to be had. Thanks for the advice, very very helpful.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom