What to replace my svs pc12nsd with?

chinaman99

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow forum members

I've come to the conclusion as superb as my current sub is I want more from my movie watching experience:D

I must just like really deep clean bass, because when I bought my pc12 nsd I thought I would never need anymore than it gives me but now I'm planning to buy something bigger and badder.

But need some advice on where to go next if anyone can help?

I've been looking at the pb12+ and sb13 ultra but if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to chime in .

Thanks

Don't trust myself building my own:rotfl:

Are these much talked about subs going to be available to buy anytime soon?

chinaman99 said:
Don't trust myself building my own:rotfl:

Are these much talked about subs going to be available to buy anytime soon?

I think they will be ready in a few weeks. Best to ask on their thread, or contact them directly though :thumbsup:

What sort of budget / size / location constraints do you have?

On a side note, I am jealous of your 65ST50! :D

What sort of budget / size / location constraints do you have?

On a side note, I am jealous of your 65ST50! :D

Ok

The room it's going in is 11x11x8ft pretty much square.

Dont really want anything much bigger than a pb12+ really.

Budget around £1200 once I sell my pc12 which incidentally I'm not sure how much to ask for.

The 65st seems to shrink everyday lol

Love it though:D

What are you aiming to achieve from the upgrade? i.e. exactly what does bigger and badder mean?

The KK 808 is in that price range & is well regarded. A bit further up you encounter the USC 15" as previously mentioned and the KK 12012. I don't think there is much below that price range (exc 2nd hand) until you get to the £5-700 level (e.g. monolith+, a few svs models) but I doubt that will be much of an upgrade.

Cheers
Matt

What are you aiming to achieve from the upgrade? i.e. exactly what does bigger and badder mean?

The KK 808 is in that price range & is well regarded. A bit further up you encounter the USC 15" as previously mentioned and the KK 12012. I don't think there is much below that price range (exc 2nd hand) until you get to the £5-700 level (e.g. monolith+, a few svs models) but I doubt that will be much of an upgrade.

Cheers
Matt

Hi matt,

I'm hearing an awful lot of talk regarding these ultimate subwoofers and I assume for good reason, but that being said I think their performance is more than I will ever be able to use in my surroundings eg neighbours and such.

That being said I still want more power than my current sub gives me ,also I would prefer it to be tighter and more controlled with music .

So maybe these beasts aren't for me at the moment :(

In light of this would an svs sb13 or Pb12+ be enough of an upgrade ?

Thanks for your help

Dont really want anything much bigger than a pb12+ really.

Budget around £1200 once I sell my pc12 which incidentally I'm not sure how much to ask for.

The 65st seems to shrink everyday lol

Love it though:D

I'm hearing an awful lot of talk regarding these ultimate subwoofers and I assume for good reason, but that being said I think their performance is more than I will ever be able to use in my surroundings eg neighbours and such.

That being said I still want more power than my current sub gives me ,also I would prefer it to be tighter and more controlled with music .

I was debating the 50GT50 or the 55ST50 and I'm so glad I went for the 55 - there's no substitute for size :D 65 was annoyingly somewhat overbudget though... lol

How big are the pb12+ and sb13 dimensions-wise?

£1200 doesn't seem to buy much from the established Sub manufacturers, sadly... but I picked my SVS up secondhand for a reasonable price so there are bargains out there!

The USC Single 15 option for £1395 is looking to be amazing value, though, and in my admittedly inexperienced opinion, I thought the sound quality and output were really excellent. If you can arrange a visit to Gecko or a home trial, do it! In the meantime, there are a couple out on home test now/shortly so we can get some in-home assessments :) It's also only about a 18inch cube so really not that big.

The SVS are more than the USC, aren't they? In which case I would choose the USC, even if I couldn't use all its power all the time. To use a car analogy, better to have a big engine coasting along at a given speed, rather than a small engine working harder ;) :)

Last edited:
Yes I know what you mean regarding its power , but the other thing concerning me is spending £1400 on a product from a relatively unknown company to me whose product is an unknown quantity when it comes to build quality and durability in the long run. Don't get me wrong i might be way off on that score but nobody knows yet.

What sort of warranty and support can I expect buying one of these subs?

chinaman99 said:
Yes I know what you mean regarding its power , but the other thing concerning me is spending £1400 on a product from a relatively unknown company to me whose product is an unknown quantity when it comes to build quality and durability in the long run. Don't get me wrong i might be way off on that score but nobody knows yet.

I believe they are offering 2 years warranty!!

Hi,

The warranty will be 2 years. Support I hope compares favourably, I am on the forums everyday, so you can post in our threads, PM me here, e-mail me via the e-mail in my link, or if you would like my phone number I'll e-mail it to you :smashin: I almost always reply to posts/comments/PMs, pr e-mails the same day.

Where in the country are you, we are doing some free in home trials for people to try before the products are available on general sale. If we can have a unit available, we might be able to arrange a home demo.

Thanks dan:thumbsup:

I'm going to have a proper read of the massive thread that's currently running .

Has anybody replaced their pc12 and if so wht with ?

Or maybe someone has some experience of a pb12+ or sb13 ultra?

Which County are you in? There may be someone nearby with one of them who was willing to let you visit :)

Thanks for your help
I have a PB12 Ultra which I suspect is the same generation of SVS as you currently have, it's not the dsp model that is currently available anyway. I am likely to upgrade from this to 1 or more of the USC 15" subject to successful home demo. The KK sub(s) have v good reviews but the size/finish available from USC means the total package outweighs the KK for me despite the fact I haven't heard one. Unfortunately there are a limited no of places to demo subs so getting to Coventry (where you can demo a KK at Frank Harvey) for a good few hours is tricky (even though I'm from Bham, visits tend to be family visits so nipping out for a listen to subs is tricky :facepalm:).

This is quite convenient for you though as they deal SVS and KK (as far as I recall) so get down there and try them out for yourself. The KK 808, on paper, seems a good fit (small footprint, in budget, tighter/more controlled). If that doesn't float your boat then you're probably looking at 2nd hand (not sure what), custom build from USC or sideways to a BK model (or 2).

Cheers
Matt

I have a PB12 Ultra which I suspect is the same generation of SVS as you currently have, it's not the dsp model that is currently available anyway. I am likely to upgrade from this to 1 or more of the USC 15" subject to successful home demo. The KK sub(s) have v good reviews but the size/finish available from USC means the total package outweighs the KK for me despite the fact I haven't heard one. Unfortunately there are a limited no of places to demo subs so getting to Coventry (where you can demo a KK at Frank Harvey) for a good few hours is tricky (even though I'm from Bham, visits tend to be family visits so nipping out for a listen to subs is tricky :facepalm:).

This is quite convenient for you though as they deal SVS and KK (as far as I recall) so get down there and try them out for yourself. The KK 808, on paper, seems a good fit (small footprint, in budget, tighter/more controlled). If that doesn't float your boat then you're probably looking at 2nd hand (not sure what), custom build from USC or sideways to a BK model (or 2).

Cheers
Matt

Hi matt ,

Thanks for your input:thumbsup:

My svs is a dsp model,the 400 watt sledge version and while its very good for the low end with movies it tends to be slightly boomy and a little loose with some music.

The problem is my Dali zensors, superb as they are aren't bass monsters and I
prefer to listen to music with a sub taking care of the low end.

Thanks for the heads up about frank harveys in Coventry however I wouldn't feel comfortable demoing the two svs subs I'm looking at knowing I wouldn't be buying from there,as I've seen them cheaper at lsound which is where I bought my pc12 from.

With current exchange rates at lsound the sb13 ultra works out at just over £1300 ,same goes for the pb12+dsp,with a 5 year warranty and a 45 day trial.

The KK 808, on paper, seems a good fit (small footprint, in budget, tighter/more controlled). If that doesn't float your boat then you're probably looking at 2nd hand (not sure what), custom build from USC or sideways to a BK model (or 2).

Cheers
Matt
I heard the KK 808 at the USC/Gecko forum day last month, and though it was undeniably tight, musical and sounded like a quality product, it didn't have the depth of the other subs being tested, which included the X12 and the USC subs.

Given you have said the following:
I must just like really deep clean bass ... now I'm planning to buy something bigger and badder.
I think large driver/power and sealed is the best way to go for you - large driver/power will give you the depth you want, sealed will give you the tightness.

The USC single 15 would seem to match these parameters exactly, while being a lot cheaper than an SVS or a KK 12012, and it really did sound good. (Don't forget to add in Customs charges and also VAT if you import a sub from the USA.)

I know we can sound like one-trick ponies on here at the moment, pushing the USC stuff every time someone talks about wanting a new sub, but I think this is definitely a case where the Single 15 on offer would suit you perfectly. :)

There seems to be so little choice at the moment on the market between £500ish (Monoliths) and £1.4k+ when you get the SVS/USC subwoofers. Thats a big price difference if you ask me, i would happily spent over £500 on a sub, but trying to convice the wife of spending an extra £900 seems a tall ask.

Secondhand seems to be the only option inbetween those two price bands. There is some good stuff in it but the history is always unknown!

For a small fee perhaps one of the better diyers could build you a sub that would be able to show the bk monolith and the svs a set of clean heals in terms of depth and musical ability respectively for around the £600/£700 mk...............i would think the 2 sub's that i'm building could/can probably do the same and i'm using cheap drivers........or am i:rolleyes:

P.S plus i'm definitely no diyer but i'm having a go!!...........the support is great on here:)

There seems to be so little choice at the moment on the market between £500ish (Monoliths) and £1.4k+ when you get the SVS/USC subwoofers. Thats a big price difference if you ask me, i would happily spent over £500 on a sub, but trying to convice the wife of spending an extra £900 seems a tall ask.

I would consider the PSA range of subs as great VFM. You could PM the founder Tom V who was the V in SVS. He is a member here and might not ship to the UK via a distributor at the mo but you might well be able to agree something. If I ventured back into commercial subs this would be my area of interest if bang for buck comes before looks, price and finish.

Yes PSA is a good alternative at under £1k, shame that Tom has not sorted out a distributor yet. I would have thought by now he would have one lined up.

Kent home Cinema would have been a hopeful tie up as when he was with SVS they were the UK distributor that got a lot of us on here into reasonable priced subs way back 6-8 years ago.

Yes PSA is a good alternative at under £1k, shame that Tom has not sorted out a distributor yet. I would have thought by now he would have one lined up.

Kent home Cinema would have been a hopeful tie up as when he was with SVS they were the UK distributor that got a lot of us on here into reasonable priced subs way back 6-8 years ago.

KHC work in different pastures now. Some early adopters even imported direct if I recall. Not saying PSA is the only choice just one that ticks a lot of performance boxes for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom