Question What to replace a Sony VPL-HS20 with please?

fozziebear39

Hi,
I’ve had a Sony VPL-HS20 for about 15 years and I think it’s about time to retire it. I’ve tried a new bulb before and I think the projector has lost some of it’s brightness and contrast.
I’m lucky that I now have it in a Bat Cave completely blacked out, matt grey walls and ceiling, grey carpet built up under the screen and a screen made from MaxiWhite material with a surface gain of 0.9.
Still enjoyed watching the football tonight with it, but it struggles with movies with dark scenes.
I think I’ll also benefit from 1080p instead of the 720p that this projector is. I’d like to be able to leave the door open though so it won’t be completely dark, my dogs can wander in and out instead of crying outside lol.

Budget around £800 so the obvious choice is a second hand Sony VPL-HW40 or 45. I’d lose the motorised zoom and focus, but it will be a straight swap as regards to throw. 106” screen with projector 4.3m away, ceiling mounted.

How would that compare to the current Epson’s on offer please? I would prefer to buy brand new and with a 6 year warranty. Epson EH-TW6700 for example or the EH-TW7000?

I don’t really need faux 4k but I do have 4k devices. PS4 Pro, Apple TV but my main source is a Virgin V6 box through ethernet HDMI convertor (box split from living room). I’d be happy to stick with 1080p. I don’t need 3D or want DLP rainbows. I also play video games on it.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

noob0101

Hi,
I’ve had a Sony VPL-HS20 for about 15 years and I think it’s about time to retire it. I’ve tried a new bulb before and I think the projector has lost some of it’s brightness and contrast.
I’m lucky that I now have it in a Man Cave completely blacked out, matt grey walls and ceiling, grey carpet built up under the screen and a screen made from MaxiWhite material with a surface gain of 0.9.
Still enjoyed watching the football tonight with it, but it struggles with movies with dark scenes.
I think I’ll also benefit from 1080p instead of the 720p that this projector is. I’d like to be able to leave the door open though so it won’t be completely dark, my dogs can wander in and out instead of crying outside lol.

Budget around £800 so the obvious choice is a second hand Sony VPL-HW40 or 45. I’d lose the motorised zoom and focus, but it will be a straight swap as regards to throw. 106” screen with projector 4.3m away, ceiling mounted.

How would that compare to the current Epson’s on offer please? I would prefer to buy brand new and with a 6 year warranty. Epson EH-TW6700 for example or the EH-TW7000?

I don’t really need faux 4k but I do have 4k devices. PS4 Pro, Apple TV but my main source is a Virgin V6 box through ethernet HDMI convertor (box split from living room). I’d be happy to stick with 1080p. I don’t need 3D or want DLP rainbows. I also play video games on it.

Thanks in advance.

The Sony's will have much better contrast, ~5000:1 vs the ~2000:1 on the Epsons mentioned.

The Epsons are much brighter.

Another alternative is used JVC, with better contrast than the Sony.
The JVC's might

For a new projector with good black level there is the Sony HW45/65 and Epson TW9400. But they are above budget.

Other used options would be TW9200 and TW9300.

In order to have access to the higher bit rate of the 4K streams, regardless of what display it ends up on get a Panasonic UB420.
It will also convert the HDR to your display. Some projectors with poor HDR tone mapping use it as well, since it's HDR tone mapping is better.
Thread:

fozziebear39

Thanks noob0101 for your help. I would like the Sony HW45 but as you say above budget at £1699. I'll keep my eye on the classified section, seems better here than risking eBay.

fozziebear39

So I have narrowed my choice down to a new Epson TW6700, a new Epson TW7000 or a second hand Sony HW40. Epson TW7000 is favourite at the moment but as most of my content is 1080p I need to know whether 1080p is actually worse on the TW7000 than on the TW6700. I like the fact though that it takes a 4K signal even though it is faux 4k.

Ewoody

there's a epson 7300 on ebay for £800, collection near you.
request a demo before you buy !

noob0101

So I have narrowed my choice down to a new Epson TW6700, a new Epson TW7000 or a second hand Sony HW40. Epson TW7000 is favourite at the moment but as most of my content is 1080p I need to know whether 1080p is actually worse on the TW7000 than on the TW6700. I like the fact though that it takes a 4K signal even though it is faux 4k.
HW40 - best image quality, contrast and black level. Used, no warranty.
TW6700 - much poorer black level, contrast, and black level than the HW40. Bright. Has lens shift. Cheap lamps.
TW7000 - worse black level, contrast and black level than the TW6700. Upgrade to the poorer version of the TW6700, the HC3100, which was not sold in the EU. Can accept a 4K signal. Can upscale a 1080p signal to 4K.

I'm not 100% sure, but some players like the Panasonic UB420 can select the 4K stream and convert it to 1080p.

fozziebear39

there's a epson 7300 on ebay for £800, collection near you.
request a demo before you buy !
Thank you Ewoody, that is very kind spotting it and letting me know.

Thanks for summing up noob0101. That is the dilemma, no warranty or 6 year warranty for that investment. HW40's go for about £400 second hand on here, I might wait for one of those to come up.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Mate I made the switch from 1080p to 4K and still have my Sony HW45 which has less than 300hr on the bulb and is only 2 years old. It’s actually sat in its box the last year.

It would be a hell of a jump up for your HW20 and if you are interested make my an offer.

Images from my Sony

Trust me I will be reasonably easy to talk to.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom