What to look for in a S/H Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Ward

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just starting to look at front projection now.

I have an Arcam FMJ-27 so any projector which supports prog scan will be favourable.

I've seen movies on a 6ft screen and it really didn't look big enough to me so I'm wondering just how big I can go and still maintain a sharp image?. 10ft-12ft would be a better size for my room, but 8ft would be OK.

I only watch OAR movies so I'd like a 16:9 screen.

Floor mounting is pretty essential. I've read in another thread about probs with floor mounting but my room is around 30ft high into a pitched roofspace.

The new dedicated HT room is very large (over 40ft x20ft) and completely blacking out the large arched shaped windows is going to be a real challenge.

Does any type/make of PJ spring to mind with these requirements?

I'm looking for second-hand, I'm guessing CRT will be the way to go. I'm limited to spending as little as I can to achieve what I need. I'll upgrade the PJ in the future but I'm intent on getting into my new HT room ASAP.

Thanks for any pointers,

Mark.

Hi Mark

A general rule of thumb is 7" pj = 7ft screen.....8" pj = 8ft screen otherwise with crt you tend to run out of brigtness so a screen with gain is considered an advantage. Blacking out the room is also more critical the bigger the screen for the samr reasons.

A cheap secondhand barco 801 around a grand should be a reasonable start but wont offer component in, someone I'm sure will correct me but i think that you need an 808 for component input, from about £2.5K.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Mark Ward
I've seen movies on a 6ft screen and it really didn't look big enough to me so I'm wondering just how big I can go and still maintain a sharp image?.
8ft is realistically the most you're going to go to if you're looking to spend as little as possible. Ideally you'll need an 8inch CRT system, as they provide more light output, larger screens (7-8ft usually) and focus better (7" CRTs usually dont feature electromagnetic focusing). 9" provides larger screens, more brightness and even better focusing but are considerably more pricey.

Consider the colour scheme in your room - my room is reasonably blacked out, except for the curtains. However this doesnt matter as the walls are all magnolia and reflect the light from the screen - until I repaint it's pointless blocking light from the Window.

The picture is fully visible with the light on, it's just nowhere near as good and doesnt provide the same feeling of depth.

In your case floor mounting shouldnt be a problem - do you live in a barn - that room is damned huge! Just be certain to consider seating position.

Progressive scan shouldnt be a problem, but you'll probably need a scaler to make best use of the projector, unless the Arcam has a scaler built in.

PK

Mark, I'm selling my Barco Data 801S for £700. The tubes are all excellent and it produces superb bright pictures. It's got the manual and remote control with it. Photo is attached.

Attachments

• barco-801.jpg
    barco-801.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 798
Mark,

Sounds like a cool room!

I am afraid I'm in the 8' max for best image quality. You can do 9' (and I have with a 7") but you aren't going to get the amazing quality and depth of picture you could get if stayed smaller.

Now, if the room really needs a 11-12' wide image you will probably have to look at a s/h Fixed Pixel device. You might find a deal on an old SVGA 3 chip DLP from USA, or a s/h JVC G15 D'ila. These will have light output but will need to be put in hush boxes as they are so loud. You'll also find the lamps will be very expensive.

I'd look at going with a 9' and a new tubed 9" CRT as the best compromise.

Gordon

Would second Gordon on this.

I started at the barco 600 then BD800 then a BG801s and now up to a BG1208. Am sure a 1209s will be there one day, but not until i've upgraded the scaler. Had an eight foot wide image and dropped to a seven foot one.

This drop in size also involved a move into the garage, with controlled light reflection - NONE. The leap in picture quality was huge. Yes a 800 or similar will fill a 12 ft screen, but so will a £10 radio fill the same room with noise.

Let us know what you're thinking about next

Rgds

Originally posted by Gordon, Convergent-AV
You'll also find the lamps will be very expensive.
Try 2500 pounds for 500 hours.
The screen sizes quoted by the chaps above are the ideals you can go bigger. In the end only you have to be happy with the image. but bigger is not always better.

Thanks for your posts... Guess I'll stick to 8ft. As I said before, I've only seen 6ft and that was in quite a large room, though not as big as mine. Uncle Eric also PM'd some useful advice... Move the seating nearer!:)

@AJ:- Where are you located? Sounds like a fair deal to me, I'm currently researching which Barco models offer which features/options so I may well contact you soon. Can it be Floor Mounted BTW? With a 30ft roof ceiling mounting really isn't an option. For an 8ft Screen how far from the screen would the front of the PJ be?

Any links available to the model you have?

Which is the earliest model Barco that would enable me to take advantage of Progressive scan?

I notice that your PJ registers a very high number of hours, does this number get reset when you change lamps?

Cheers,

Mark.

Originally posted by Mark Ward
Uncle Eric also PM'd some useful advice... Move the seating nearer!:)
:) Sounds a good idea to me.

Practically all Barcos can be floor and ceiling mounted; there's a program from Barco to calculate the distances - try http://www.barco.com/projection_systems/ and click on 'customer services' for the lens program. Distances differ dependent on projector and lens, but an 8ft 16:9 screen on an 801 data needs to be 365cm from the screen to the mounting bracket on the Barco.

Barcos dont measure chassis and tube hours seperately, and the hours are never reset. It's more important how well it's treated rather than the number of hours. Typically a tube should produce around 10,000 hours if treated well.

PK

Looking around for details on the Barco DATA 801s I found some info on the Barco GRAPHICS 801s. Is this the same PJ? If not what are the differences and which is the better model for HT?

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark,

You are welcomed to see my 1208 hanging from the ceiling firing onto a 7ft screen in a dark room, i'm in Maidstone.

Having owned the BG801s, all I recall is this was the best in the 800 series they did, ie not 808's. The Data has lower scan rates.

808's are the lowest that will accept component, however, £330 buys you a component to RGBHV transcoder, there are cheaper than this. Any barco except the 600's and a few odd ones will accept progessive this way. Definatley all 800/801

Rgds

Mark
My Barco Data 800S is still for sale, although I have a few enquiries pending. This projector can be floor or ceiling mounted so that's no problem. This projector is ideal for use with a computer or a line doubler as it copes with high resolutions.
I am in Nottingham. The hours do not get reset when you change tubes. The run time is not that relevant - what does matter is the condition of the tubes which you can see with the lenses removed. Most important - see it running before purchase. I attach a photograph of the tubes with lenses removed. There is very slight wear on the blue but this projector has lots of life in it. Don't take my word for it - ask other members on this forum for their opinion on this Barco !

Attachments

• barco-801s-tube.jpg
    barco-801s-tube.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 244
@aj

I have a lead on a 1774 hours Barco Graphics 801 at a good price locally, but if that doesn't work out I'll call you.

BTW. Your first post said you had an 801s for sale, the second said an 800s. Which is it?

@nfordenfield
You are welcomed to see my 1208 hanging from the ceiling firing onto a 7ft screen in a dark room, i'm in Maidstone.
Have PM'd you..:D Thanks!

Mark.

Just to add my little bit the 800/801 and 801s are all great projectors. Run time on a projector of this age will not be relevant any thing between 1000 and 30,000 hrs is what I would expect. Less than 2000 hrs on a projector that will be about 8 years olf means it has been off for a lot of time. Where has it been stored?

The single most important check is the tubes make sure that they are clean and show no signs of wear. This will be displayed as browning. Either take the lens off as the person above has or check with a really bright torch paying particular attention to the Blue tube.

For Home cinema there is no picture differece between the Data and Graphics models. The graphics had a higher scan frequency. but this goes beyond the resoloutions it can actually dispay in 16x9 any how.

Prices seem to hover between £600 and £1600.
I currently have three

Went to see Nathan's (nfordenfield) setup last night (Thanks Nathan). The 1208 is fabulous. Metallic surfaces and glass look incredible.

I'm still on for a front PJ and I think I'll still starting with an BG801s but I'm going to go down and have a very careful look at the one I've been offered before I part with my cash.

My room will take around 2 months to complete, I've given up on the big 42" hall in favour of a 26" X 14'8" room so the screen size can easily come down to 7-8ft.

Nathan's offered to pop down this week and give some advice before I make my final room/PJ choices.

Whichever PJ I start with I'm sure it won't be my last.. That 1208 is incredible!

Thanks again Nathan & all.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom