1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to get...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by JoeyEmma, Jun 10, 2005.

1. JoeyEmma

JoeyEmma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure that you get sick and tired of people asking for recommendations of what to buy, but here comes another one.

I'll give you my brief
    1. Has to work with WMA files
    2. Has to do playlists
    3. Needs to play house mixes without putting gaps between songs (if this is posssible)
    4. About 20 gig memory
    5. Not bothered about it having ability to show pictures.
    6. Longish battery life.

I have looked at the Sony HD5 but been a bit nervous because of Sonic Stage. Also considered the Gigabeat and irivers.

2. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony HD5 - but go for the black one.

40 hours atrac playback [more like 25 if you use mp3]
    20 Gig
    Does playlists but you have to make them on the computer
    WMA files are converted to atrac so they can play on the HD5 - dosent take long.
    Costs around £186 off www.dabs.com/uk

its a great unit!but if you go for the nice silver unit then the buttons tend to fracture.

It happened to me - i sent it back got my refund and now thinking of buying a Iriver H320.

If i were you id take a look at the Irover H320 as well as the HD5.

3. JoeyEmma

JoeyEmma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did have a look at the Iriver h320, but found the menus a bit tricky to navigate and also thought it looked a bit dated, even though I know everybody raves about it. Like the look of the new iriver thats coming out but apparently its not as good as the other models of theirs.

4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    If the river does gapless I would go for that.

5. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting Gerbilly... are you in the market for a new player? Perhaps one that can play gapless? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Iaudio X5
    Toshiba gigabeat
    iRiver H320

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    expand?

8. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gotta be the Sony HD3 or HD5. If you're nervous about SonicStage, just download it and install, and have a go at ripping a bunch of your CD's, editing a few of the details and creating some playlists. You'll soon find out whether it runs okay on your PC or not.

9. JoeyEmma

JoeyEmma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is that I have about 18Gb of music already stored on the hard drive. What I want is a player that will just let me easily drag and drop files to transfer them, instead of having to start putting each of my cd's in the computer again.

10. Simebaby

Simebaby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You can import music on your hard drive into SS... also you can download the pocket viao file transfer program, which supports drag & drop.

TBH I've not had any real problems with SS, though I know there are a few on here who have. As said, why not download it and give it a try first?

11. briankai

briankai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung 925gs... supports WMA, has a nice color screen, simple navigation and sorting, as well as photo display capabilities. Can also encode mp3's via a dedicated line-in (!), and has voice recording capabilities. 20 gigs of storage, same price as a similar sized ipod or sony. On top of all that, you can connect it directly to other USB storage devices (like flash memory players) and transfer files. That's pretty hot.

The only thing I'm not sold on is the iPodish white plastic accents, although the case is probably 90% brushed silver magnesium. I know it will accept direct transfers from Napster and Windows Media Player... but I'm not sure how it works. I've heard one reviewer complain he had to re-rip all of his CD's with WMP, alluding to not being able to directly transfer existing files. This, of course, would make it useless in my opinion... but again, I'm not sure if this is the case.

Feel free to buy it and let us know how it turns out. :D I saw it on display at Best Scams today, so at least you won't have to look far.

Kai