What to get the 'aul man!.......

Gr1f

Standard Member
Heya guys,
OK after years of utting up with My ol man's crappy all-in-one pioneer system he's finally allowed me to come up with a better system for him.

However, i've been out of the audio game for a while now, happy with my Arcam/B&W 604 setup and i just know i'll get some great tips here!

Here are the requirements:
Amp
DAB/FM Tuner
CD
Speakers
Easy to use and must have a remote!

Budget is about £400 Max!

Kinda thinking Cambridge Audio Azur 340Z and 640T could be a solution. Also that Denon all-in-one unit looked interesting but I've been a seperate fan for years so would need some convincing...

Any help appreciated!!

sbowler

Its a tricky task you have. Firstly buying a good system for someone elses ears isnt going to be easy.:eek: Personaly I would visit a decent HI-FI shop and autition some components, thats with the fella:D after all what he likes you may not. You could always go for one of the budget systems thats recommended in the HI-FI mags, just to play it safe. Its difficult to recommend products without detailed info on your room/its size /furnishings ect, and also the type of music he listens to, is he a BASS head lfor example:D.

Gr1f

Standard Member
Its a tricky task you have. Firstly buying a good system for someone elses ears isnt going to be easy.:eek: Personaly I would visit a decent HI-FI shop and autition some components, thats with the fella:D after all what he likes you may not. You could always go for one of the budget systems thats recommended in the HI-FI mags, just to play it safe. Its difficult to recommend products without detailed info on your room/its size /furnishings ect, and also the type of music he listens to, is he a BASS head lfor example:D.

Deffo not a bass head! :)
It's a 20ft x 16ft carpeted room with main sofa in centre of room facing fireplace about 7ft away, speakers will be either side of a large fireplace and he's looking for something discreet. i.e. not floor standers or anything too large. He has liked the idea of the bose acoustimas before due to it's tiny foot print but i think i can do better in relation to the music they like which would be:
50's 60's some contemporary like Bruce Springsteen, Hot House flowers and a few female vocalists, lot of the old crooners, and a lot of classical and opera with the 3 great tenners featuring a lot. My mother's the Radiohead, she likes Radio 1 and classic radio. :)

His music tastes have expanded greatly due to his new ipod!

In terms of getting him to listen to equipment, not going to be easy and he'll go for my judgement predominantly. I would think that if i could tie down 2 or 3 system options i could get him to audition them somewhere, not easy in Dublin tho!

thanks for the reply!!

sbowler

Cambridge/ Marantz amps around £100 are good otptions. Or this receiver http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TEAC-AG7090 the Denon receivers are very good. NAD equipment has a lovely rich warm sound, I had one of there receivers for many years.

This complete system is slightly overbudget http://www.richersounds.com/information.php?cda=static&cst=hifisystems dont know if there is a RicherSounds over there?

You could always look in your local cash converters, I have seen many midquality gear at very attractive prices.
If you dont want floorstanders then you would have to budget for some stands to place the speakers in the corners or close to the rear walls. You shouldnt need an amp of more than 40watts a channel for the size of your room. Also budget for some decent quality interconnects.

I had an old Yamaha A2070 pro-logic amp. blimey its nearly 20yrs ago:eek: and the sound was very harsh until I changed the interconnects.

Gr1f

Standard Member
Cambridge/ Marantz amps around £100 are good otptions. Or this receiver http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TEAC-AG7090 the Denon receivers are very good. NAD equipment has a lovely rich warm sound, I had one of there receivers for many years.

This complete system is slightly overbudget http://www.richersounds.com/information.php?cda=static&cst=hifisystems dont know if there is a RicherSounds over there?

You could always look in your local cash converters, I have seen many midquality gear at very attractive prices.
If you dont want floorstanders then you would have to budget for some stands to place the speakers in the corners or close to the rear walls. You shouldnt need an amp of more than 40watts a channel for the size of your room. Also budget for some decent quality interconnects.

I had an old Yamaha A2070 pro-logic amp. blimey its nearly 20yrs ago:eek: and the sound was very harsh until I changed the interconnects.

Richer Sounds do sell here, but i don't thnk they have a shop as such www.richersounds.ie has euro prices, think they might be in belfast?

Yea i used to have a NAD amp also. Ran a big black pair or MS, was my 1st seperates system :) When you say 'cash converter' do you mean pawn shop? :)

So you think the Denon's are worth it? Something like:
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2335

I suppose it's looking like cambridge amp + whatever or the denon. Speakers will be a difficult decision....

again thanks for the info...

Gr1f

Standard Member
OK here's what i'm thinking so far:

System 1.
Separates:
Amp: Cambridge Audio Azur 340A integrated amplifier €219.00 (richer sounds)
Tuner: Azur 640T (Version 2) DAB/FM tuner €249.00 (richer sounds)
Speakers: Mordaunt Short 902ai €149.99 (richer sounds)

CD player (optional) Marantz CD5001 €119.99 (richer sounds)

The pros and cons of the above system. Well obvious 1st thing is i blew the budget if you include the CD player!! But, I have a plan here. I have a cd player in the attic i don't use, nor will i ever use really. It's not in the silver finish but it's a good one. Alternatively you can find a cheap CD player for about €50 if you hunt around in the silver finish.

Also. I put all the emphasis on the Amp and Tuner. Main reason being is that they are top quality and will happily take any upgrades or changes you may like to make on speakers etc in the future. Also, I could suggest cheaper Amp from Cambridge Audio like this that would suffice BUT the cheaper ones have no remote control!

System 2.
This is quite an interesting option as would normally never opt for an all-in-one solution but these things have great reviews:
DENON DM35DAB MICRO SYSTEM €about the same as below
ONKYO CR515DAB MICRO SYSTEM €329.99 (richer sounds)
Speakers: Cambridge S30 €179.00 (richer sounds)
or Monitor Audio BR 1 or 2 €194.99 €269.00

I have stuck with book shelf speakers as i don't think he wants the bulk of floor standers and i'm not a great fan of Micro speakers unless you go for Mission Cubes, Bower & Wilkins etc, Bose are a rip-off in my opinion.

System 3.
OK this is an off the wall choice but may suit their needs....
Tivoli Radioworks
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=195

the above system comes with Analog Radio, CD, 2 speakers and a sub.

You can chop and change the tivoli range to say, a Sat DAB Radio unit instead of the Analog.

The nice thing about this gear is it's visual simplicity and retro looks. The sound is also great for what it is. It comes with a credit card sized remote and is very easy to operate.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom