What to get next for my A200?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by TurnipFarmer, Jun 9, 2009.

1. TurnipFarmer

TurnipFarmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the Sony A200 with the standard zoom lens kit you get with it.

What should I get next to go with my A200? All I have bought for it at the moment is a decent memory card and microfibre lens cloth. What "must haves" should I have for my A200?

Any advice would be great guys

2. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,359
    Time.

It's 'time' thats what I find I'm lacking all the ?time? lol!

3. Faldrax

Faldrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    It all depends on what style of photography most interests you.
    Landscape, Wildlife, Macro, Portrait, etc.

Each has their own priorities in terms of things to add to your list of gear.

If you're not sure, then an option might be a good book on photography to spark ideas, or a beginners photo day to learn more of what the camera is capable of (and what you enjoy most).
    (I'm assuming from your post that you are a beginner in terms of SLR photography, if not, my appologies).

In the meantime, just go out and take some photos - and find out what, if anything, is stopping you taking the phots you want.

Above all, enjoy yourself :)

4. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Must haves and affordability. Needs and wants . . .

It'll depend on your style of shooting. I could harp on about a certain Minolta 24-105mm (D) lens . . .

Tripod maybe
    External Flashgun maybe
    Replacement kit lens maybe
    Macro lens maybe
    Prime lens maybe
    Telephoto or short zoom lens maybe
    Lens filters maybe
    Ultra Wide Angle lens maybe
    Camera bag maybe

If you could be a bit more specific and state your style of shooting and budget, then MAYBE we can chip-in with more qualified suggestions . . maybe!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  5. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    When I was a Sony user, the first upgrade I made was to the kit lens - it has a useful zoom range as a walkabout lens but image quality is decidedly so-so. As this is the lens which will probably be on your camera most of the time, it makes sense to think about upgrading this first. The usual suspects for kit lens replacements are the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the Sigma 17-70, which retail for £300 odd from memory. Alternatively, keep the kit lens and add the Minolta 50mm F1.7 (ebay £100 odd), a fixed lens but much sharper and brighter than the kit lens, adds much greater flexibility for depth for field and low light use. The 50mm F1.7 is Minolta's 'nifty-fifty' and is often quoted as one of the Alpha-mount must have lenses.

Next I would think about adding an external flash (Sony make some very good ones) and a telephoto zoom. I am not up on the flash front so someone else can comment in that regard. On the telephoto zoom, consider the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro (£180 odd new) or the Minolta 70-210 F4 'beercan'. The 70-200 F4 is a Minolta legacy lens and like the 50mm F1.7 is oft-quoted as one of the must have lenses for the Alpha mount.

Of course, as others have said, this all depends on where your priorities lie. I would have a think about what you want to get out of your photography and use that as your starting point.

The Gary Friedman e-books are also very good (do a google) - I had the A100 version and used it all the time ... just wish he did one for a Nikon D90!

Cheers,

Simon.

6. eddiewood

eddiewood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,145
    Bag, Rocket Blower, spare Battery, spare memory.

Only get expensive stuff like lenses, flash, tripod etc after a while shooting. Learn what your favourite focal range for shooting is and what light you are usually shooting in, then purchase your lens accordingly.

7. TurnipFarmer

TurnipFarmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I forgot to mention stupid me that I have got a book with regard to the A200 and a bag.

I have been taken photos with the current lens but feel a little limited when it comes to zooming. I have not got really a specific subject to take photos of yet although I have taken photos of wildlife but struggle to take some good photos as I dont have a decent zoom on them. I also want to take more shots of urban/rural landscapes and more city shots.

I have heard of the 'beercan' lens, is that what I should get next then? I suppose the fixed 50mm lens is good for landscapes? or am I wrong?

Also thought of a lens hood as the one on the A200 is ok but think it needs a better one? Any ideas on this? Also should a lens hood be used all the time?

8. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    This will take care of the wide/short zoom range. If you're going ultra wide (wider than the kit lens), then be prepared to lay out good money.

An affordable medium/long zoom would be the Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro (red ring), though I would REALLY sit down and work out your need before buying up a bunch of glass that may not suit your requirements.

Minolta 50mm f/1.7 is a perfect portrait lens.

It's an expensive minefield. Tread carefully. Always use the lens hood (make sure it's fitted the right way round - not reversed).

9. anthony566

anthony566

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    One of the things I did was have a good look here A-Mount Lens Index - Dyxum forums at lenses and work out what could I get cheap out of the older Minolta range to test the water with. There are some very good next step lenses to have a look at, Once you work out what type of photography you like then go for maybe some G lenses :)

10. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Mmmmmm . . G lenes . . . . harghhhhhhhh! I wish!