1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to drive Kef Q5

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ackcheng, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ackcheng

ackcheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently bought a Q5 and using Onkyo 701 AV receiver to drive it. However, I found that the 701 is not powerful enough. I am thinking of using 2x Marantz MA500 as a power amp. Any comments / suggestions?

Arthur

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I find that staggering.

The 701 is rated by Onkyo at 115 watts / ch at 8 ohms which seems pretty good.

I demod a 700 a few months ago driving Q3s, Q1s & a Q9c - it was more than able to drive that combo. I'm currently saving my pennies to buy a 701 so, it's a bit alarming to hear this - can you describe your problem in a bit more detail?

3. ackcheng

ackcheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that I need to turn the volumn to much more than half way to have good volume. I may be confused with volume and power here but I have heard that Onkyo 701 is also performing lower than the rated power.

4. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would think that the Q5's could do with a bit more current.
    Does said Onkyo have an impedance switch?
    Dead giveaway that the amp is quite weak.

Q5's are pretty sensitive but will slurp up amplifier juice.
    Does the bass only firm up at higher levels?

5. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ackcheng,

I think you may be confused with volume and power here.
    If I'm not mistaken, does the master volume on your amp start between -70dB or -60dB and goes all the way up to somewhere around +15dB?

I have a Denon A1SE (170w/channel) and to get a decent volume I have to turn to volume over half-way. Thats not to say that my amp isn't powerful, its just that the volume control is digital and thats the way it works out.

6. ackcheng

ackcheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The master volume starts from 0 and goes all the way up to 100. I have listen to the same speaker with a higher model of Onkyo and I can clearly feel the difference. Maybe, there is more than just the amp power that makes the difference.