1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ian_linington, Sep 1, 2003.

1. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently I own a Thomspon TVP 3000 projector which is installed in my parents house that I left over 5 years ago to move in with, my now, wife. About 1-2 years ago it stopped working, I've finally found someone who will look at to see if it can be fixed. The problem being that he (and not many other people) have heard of them, so I'm not holding out much luck that he will be able to fix it (or even get the parts). He said if this was the case he would buy it off me for parts.

Has anyone got any idea what my bust projector would be worth as parts ?

This just happens when I'm finally in the position to buy a house big enough to fit it in! As I've owned a projector now for about 10 years I don't what to stop now.

What sort of money will I need to spend to get a good quality picture and what projector should I be looking for?

Below is a quick idea of the room layout. If poss I would like run it in the direction of the arrow but then the screen would be above a coal effect gas fire, so not ideal! I used to have 8' x 6' (4:3) screen but that will need replacing.
    Currently my sources are a multi-region Pioneer 717 DVD player and a Pioneer 1750 Laserdisc player.

Code:
             (20'6)
     ---++-------------<D>--
     |                                |
     |                               [|
     |                  -->        [|(11'6)
     |              --<D>--------
     |             |
     |             |
     +            |(7')
     +            |
     |----+-----|
       (10')

I'm not going to have the funds to buy everything at once so I thought that I would source a PJ and screen first and then buy a scaler and better DVD player. How far up the pj ladder should I go ??? Barco 808 or even a 1209s. I'm thinking of sticking with a 4:3 screen as I can live with bars top and bottom.

Any thoughts??

Many Thanks.

Ian L.

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    i have a Barco 801s that i bought from Roland (check out the link at the top of the CRT forum) for £1000.. an iscan pro for £450 ish and an electric 7ft 16:9 screen for £500 ish. The projector is immaculate and sometimes i just wanna hug it! :D it has 12,000 hours on it but its been so well looked after and refurbed by roland that the image it creates looks near brand new. I would recommend going down this route, rather than ebay, as you are guaranteed quality service, support and a really good PJ!
    If your DVD player outputs component, then i would suggest it would perform admirably. I guess it all depends how much money you were thinking of spending...

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Chris many thanks

Ian if you can find the time to come over to Reading some time I'd be happy yo show you what a 7" 8" and 9" look like.
    (hugging of projectors is not compulsory)

4. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies,

I wasn't really looking a Ebay. I got lucky when I started out into HC, the guy that I was buying my Laserdisks from supplied projectors for films, I got a good deal on my first one and haven't looked back since :)

Having seen them set up a few times I know how important it is to get it right and it looks completely beyond me !

With the house purchase coming up I'm not going to be able to afford it for a while (and I've got to pursuade the wife :( )

Roland I'd like to take you up on your offer but not until I've got a bit more saved away. (PS Happy birthday for yesterday !)

I'm really looking for a heads-up on what it's likely to cost. Is 5K too unreasonable ? or is it worth sepending a bit more ? (My last PJ cost about 4K 6-7 years ago) If your going to spend that much then the screen/scaler/source have got to do it justice, and it all costs money ! I could always raid the kids piggy banks :devil:

On another note if I mounted the screen above the fire would it cause problems ??

Thanks in advance

Ian L.

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    £5 is a pretty good figure you can manage on less it all depends what you want and expect out of a system.

The heat generated by the fire may cause the screen material to wrinkle prematurely.

6. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hell, could I have one too then? Or ten?
    :suicide:

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    All I said was £5 was a good figure

£5000 would be a good opener for a refurbished CRT.

If you don't make mistakes you're not typing fast enough.

8. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually he should be able to get himself a decent setup for £5K. I budgeted about that about £5K including lighting and could get myself a good deal.

I've decided to go and get married now so have no money. :suicide:

9. ian_linington

ian_linington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,

Due to finances I wanted to get a screen and PJ first and then later when money allows upgrade the source (DVD) and get then a scaler(?)

So I suppose I'm looking for PJ will look reasonable initially but has the potential to look fabulous ! (after tweaking) I don't want the PJ to be the weak link in the chain, I'd rather wait and get a top notch one than getting one that I need to change (to notice any difference) after improving the source.

Also, I just have to pursuade the wife not to use the fire. (With a 5 month old it shouldn't be too hard !)

GagHalfrunt, got married last year, trying to move house this year, next year HC :D

Cheers

Ian L.