1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bjd, Aug 15, 2002.

1. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I wonder if I could get some advice? I'm fairly new to HC, and would like to build up a decent sound system. I currently just use the 4 speakers supplied with a Tosh 36Zp using the TV's internal amp.
    I use a Creek amp and Linn Kan speakers for my Hi Fi, so I was wondering what the best option would be. I was thinking of starting with an amp and subwoofer and using the Kans as fronts, but owuld then need a centre and rears eventually.
    Is this the best way to go, and, if so, could anyone recommend a centre and sub to compliment the Kans?
    Any advice and warnings of potential pitfalls appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

2. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    No-one perpared to offer any advice, then? :(

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sorry mate. I am unfamiliar with the Kans. I agree that you should try to get a matching centre, maybe another Kan? Hopefully someone who has heard/used Linn speakers can help.:rolleyes: Do you really want to keep the Kans or get a full new set of speakers? Full range or sub-sat? There are lots of good subs out there, depends on budget.

As for an amp, what budget did you have in mind? Do you want to keep the Creek for stereo duties and use a processor for surround like Yamaha DSP800? Maybe get a newer suround amp for all-in-one? Or use a new receiver with the latest surround formats hanging on the back of the Creek?

One thing is for sure, it is time to dump the Tosh speakers and get some new ones.

Lots of questions, hope this is the sort of "first-round reply" you were looking for?:)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's important to get a centre speaker that matches the Kans tonally. It would seem that Linn don't make a Kan centre but one of their other speakers could well be the closest match. Why not email Linn and ask for their opinion.

Most say that it is important also to have rears that match the fronts but this isn't always possible for space or costs reasons.

Personally I think that this is less important as timbre changes front back to front are far less noticeable than from across the front of the soundstage.

Timbre matching of a sub is impossible so you can buy any make. Your stereo system is of good quality so I wouldn't recommend getting a cheap sub and spoiling the overall effect.

Have a look at the Velodynes available in the Power Buys forum as the £350 sub is one of the cheapest "real" subwoofers around

5. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Thanks for the replies.

Well, I have just spent today listening to a few AV amps, including the Linn Classik, and I have to say that, to my ears, I am very unimpressed. In fact, I'm so disappointed by the quality of these multi-channel amps that I think I may forego surround sound completely.

As an experiment, I ran the sound from the Tosh DVD player through cheap phono leads to the Creek/Kans, and I was very impressed. (Well, I would be......they're what I listen to the LP12 through). The only thing I missed while playing DVDs was the low end I had heard through the AV amps driving a subwoofer.

So, my thinking is to buy/build a subwoofer and drive it with the Creek. There must be a way to jury-rig it to run alongside the Kans. This, hopefully, would leave me the Kans for audio and dvd, with the sub kicking in for dvds, or am I being naive here?

If I could get that sort of set up running, I think I would be happy enough.

Thanks again for the replies and to Ian J for pointing me to the Velodyne......I must look at the specs to see if I could use it for what I want

Brian