1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Peter O Sullivan, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just blown my Paradigm cc350 centre (the tweeter) AGAIN. I did have it ridiculously loud though. I was having a party and was very drunk (didn't learn first time i guess).

Any way question is as follows:
    I have 2 MA bronze 2's for rears (which I like), two 70 watt pioneer fronts (from old hifi) and the paradigm centre. Would 2 more Bronze 2's do for fronts if I was to get a sub later on or should I save for MA floor standers and then a sub even later. I do like listening at loud levels I have to say (poor neighbours).

All so, I have the paradigm over 1+1/2 years now, considering selling it and getting a MA centre so everything will match. How much do you think I should get for it? Won't be selling for a while yet, have to get a summer job first. Any comments on any MA centres.
    I am also going to go the HCPC route over the summer (all money suituations going right), how much for a Pioneer 626 player about 2yrs old?
    One more thing, I know someone in Mission and could get my hands on their subs maybe a bit cheaper. Are they any good?

Cheers

2. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Baby centre - crap
    Bronze centre - OK
    Silver centre - decent

HCPC? Are you sure you want three or four fans making a racket while you're trying to watch a movie...

3. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you choose your components carefully and are prepared to pay a little more for the privilege, you can build a PC which is no noisier than a humming REL sub or a humming Toshiba 3?ZP18? TV ;).

Try http://www.quietpc.com. My gateway machine has been built like this and when I tried to measure the SPL from 50cm in front of it I couldn't get a sensible reading as the SPL didn't go that low.

Charles.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    An interesting first post. I do like a well constructed argument for and against any product and I have no doubt that the above will be an immense amount of help to anyone thinking of buying a Monitor Audio centre speaker.

I look forward to reading more of Hazard's incisive analyses.

5. hazard

hazard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wow, forum police are out already.

I forgot the "IMHO" bit. Plus I was in a hurry.

How's this?

Baby centre - true to its name, a very lightweight sound. Very boxy and thin, even with a sub doing its low-end work. Probably OK if you're going to match it with a "baby" Monitor Audio satellite system, but otherwise forget it.

I owned one of these for eight or nine months.

Bronze centre - much better. Vocals actually begin to sound like there could possibly be a person sitting next to your TV reading their lines. Like the Bronze 2 bookshelfs, they give a nice full sound, including some bass of their own, and would go well with an entry level setup.

Silver centre (I currently own a 12c) - real nice. Full range of sound is there, very lifelike vocals. Good bass reproduction and those front ports can move a lot of air. Can go VERY loud. Probably too big to leave safely on top of your TV, especially if it isn't a completely flat surface, but then a speaker like this really needs a decent solid stand.

There are plenty of reviews out there for the above products, but if you really want one more, there you go.

Ok now that's out of the way, seriously, HCPC?

Thanks for the link Charles, will take a look.

Fergus

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A nice calm response to the forum police- well done m8 ;-)