1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Maxheadroom, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Maxheadroom

Maxheadroom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.
    My home theater set up is long due an overhaul. It's mainly a mish mash of 2nd hand equipment and over many months I'm upgrading the lot. Top of the list might be a nice 50" plasma screen but I'll bother you with question about that if and when I come to buy one.

Today I'm after a speaker set. The only good part of the speaker set I already have are my pair of Wharefdale MFM7 speakers.

So here's my question: Do I
    A) sell the Wharfdales and get a complete home theater speaker kit, and if so, can I get a recommendation of a set? (up to about the £500 ish mark)

B) Keep the Wharfdales and get a center, Sub, and pair of surrounds to complement them? Same sort of price range and again a recommendation here would help a lot.

Thanks

2. ghislain

ghislain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hello,

Are you satisfied with the soundstage that your current front speakers are producing?
    If so, I would try to match the front speakers with a center speaker from the same series, it is after all recommended to match front and center speakers to get a homogeneous sound.
    After that I would add a sub (I can personally recommend SVS) and a pair of surrounds (scenario B). For the surrounds, again, you stick to your present line of speakers or choose something completly different. The only snatch can be your budget, which is rather tight. Bear in mind that it is worth spending a bit of money on your speakers, after all they will probably be around for the next 5 to 10 years.
    I cannot say which surrounds will match the Warfdales best. From the range of speakers I have auditioned so far, Quadral, Monitor Audio and Dali are my favorites, but again, go and listen for yourself, that is the probably the best advice and the safest way to get a descent setup.
    Another important thing to consider is your receiver ; speakers sound very different depending upon brand and even model of receiver connected. Keep this in mind since the equipment you own might not be the one used during the listening sessions.

3. Maxheadroom

Maxheadroom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm happy with the sound from my MFM7's but their performance is somewhat crippled by the fact that they've only ever been connected to the internal amp on my Toshiba 40" rear projection tv (told you i needed an upgrade).
    After the speakers, the amp is next on the shopping list (was thinking of a Denon AVR-1705 )

Don't know where I'd find an MFM center speaker now. I bought the speakers cheap off QXL about 5 years ago and it looked like they came direct from Wharfdale themselves, like an end of line clearance or something.

From a purely aesthetic point of view I'm not a fan of front satellites, and if I were to replace my nice solid, heavy floorstanding MFM7's I'd like it to be with another floorstander

On your recommendation I found a review of this Monitor Audio Bronze B4 set but it is almost double what I had in mind to pay.

I also found these Gale HT30.5 speakers anyone have any experience with them?