what to do

larrydd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning all I am a pc user using Windows 7 and don't want to go to Windows 10, never had a console before. Want to go over to consoles but which one ps5 or Xbox series x, any advice thanks

Both

Depends what games you like, if you like story driven first person games then PS4 has lots of highly rated exclusive ones, which can of course be played on PS5, and more will release on PS5

Multiplats though the Series X should run them better.

May I ask why you don't want to goto Windows 10? Personally I think it's a great OS, just have to turn some settings off.

It all depends what you want, if you want the best single player games then go PS5, if you want cheap gaming then go XBOX with Gamepass, if you want VR then it's PS5, if you want the most POWER go XBOX, if you bought any games on the Microsoft store on the PC then some of those games might work on the XBOX.

Work out what you want the most and then choose, if i could only have one console next gen it would be the PS5 based on this gens experience. But I am a fat greedy pig and love both consoles.

Thanks for your replies guys the games I love playing on pc are skyrim, witcher 3, gta, rdr2, anything with a good story and I can take my time with. The reason for not going to win 10 is I am in my comfort zone with 7, hard to explain. I think in 2 years the Xbox may well be the most powerful console but not yet.

Thanks for your replies guys the games I love playing on pc are skyrim, witcher 3, gta, rdr2, anything with a good story and I can take my time with. The reason for not going to win 10 is I am in my comfort zone with 7, hard to explain. I think in 2 years the Xbox may well be the most powerful console but not yet.
Its the most powerful console now and will be again on release of the new gen.

No one can decide for you, only you can. Wait for prices and lists of launch games and features and take it from there. No need to decide just yet.

Those are multi plats so Xbox would be better

But if you like good story PS5 has plenty of good exclusive story driven games, too.

Those are multi plats so Xbox would be better

But if you like good story PS5 has plenty of good exclusive story driven games, too.

I'm sure Xbox does too.

There's no definitive list for both as yet with release dates.

You can't go wrong with either console imo.

Oops I meant to have put PS4 has plenty, not PS5, though sure PS5 will too in time.

I think in 2 years the Xbox may well be the most powerful console but not yet.
unnamed.jpg

Both Series x and ps5 will have great single player/ multiplayer/ co-op/ versus/ writer story driven/ emergent story driven/games as a service... And both will have bleeding edge tech too.

I agree with others- either or both would be the right choice :) On the flip side if you only get one you will miss out on something whichever one you go for!

Both Series x and ps5 will have great single player/ multiplayer/ co-op/ versus/ writer story driven/ emergent story driven/games as a service... And both will have bleeding edge tech too.

I agree with others- either or both would be the right choice :) On the flip side if you only get one you will miss out on something whichever one you go for!
I must have missed the showcase with the great single player games for Xbox, got a link or anything please?

I must have missed the showcase with the great single player games for Xbox, got a link or anything please?

I’m not posting links (you can google them), but single player campaigns coming to Xbox include but are not limited to- Halo infinite, fable, avowed, hellblade 2, assassins creed Valhalla, cyberpunk, the next baldurs gate, psychonauts 2... Microsoft have invested heavily in new studios, some of whom will focus on single player campaigns (in particular obsidian and ninja theory), but third parties will bring their single player stories too.

I’m not posting links (you can google them), but single player campaigns coming to Xbox include but are not limited to- Halo infinite, fable, avowed, hellblade 2, assassins creed Valhalla, cyberpunk, the next baldurs gate, psychonauts 2... Microsoft have invested heavily in new studios, some of whom will focus on single player campaigns (in particular obsidian and ninja theory), but third parties will bring their single player stories too.
Well in the context of this thread cross platform games don't count because they are available on both consoles obviously. I do however agree that Avowed might be great but until we see some gameplay and not cgi footage we don't really know but the rest I doubt will be great.

I did search Google for great single players games on the xbox and it's still searching after 15 minutes so....

I don’t understand why you would ignore a game just because it was also out on another platform. Cyber punk on Xbox is not lessened just because it is also out on PlayStation. That’s a single player game, potentially great, that many are looking forward to that’s coming to Xbox (it may even run and look best on Xbox).

I don’t understand why you would ignore a game just because it was also out on another platform. Cyber punk on Xbox is not lessened just because it is also out on PlayStation. That’s a single player game, potentially great, that many are looking forward to that’s coming to Xbox (it may even run and look best on Xbox).
The OP is asking one or the other. Yes theres plenty of the same game coming out on both. No need to really point that out. Its the merits of one console over the other that would help to make the choice.

Daz is obviously pointing out that Single Player games isn't really something that Xbox excels in, in comparison to Sony. So if its single player games your after then it might be a factor in your choice of system.

The OP is asking one or the other. Yes theres plenty of the same game coming out on both. No need to really point that out. Its the merits of one console over the other that would help to make the choice.

Daz is obviously pointing out that Single Player games isn't really something that Xbox excels in, in comparison to Sony. So if its single player games your after then it might be a factor in your choice of system.

And I was pointing out that Xbox did still have single player games which may be relevant too! The OP might be looking for a mix of types of game. He might like the look of single player games like cyber punk in which case the Xbox having that game is entirely relevant! In fact for first person single player you might be better off with Xbox than PlayStation.

Xbox one X is worlds most powerful console right now and the new Xbox series x out later this year will continue to be the most powerful console for years to come 👍

And I was pointing out that Xbox did still have single player games which may be relevant too! The OP might be looking for a mix of types of game. He might like the look of single player games like cyber punk in which case the Xbox having that game is entirely relevant! In fact for first person single player you might be better off with Xbox than PlayStation.
Cyberpunks coming out on both so that's not something you would use as a differentiator (not sure this is even a word lol) between them. What would be a differentiator is that with the Xbox being more powerful, you'd expect it to look better or perhaps even at a better frame rate that the PS5 version.

So overall Sony's console is less powered than the XSX but IMO has the better single player games (exclusive to that system). Xbox 'should' have the better versions of all cross platform games and like you say may have the better FPS side of games exclusive to that system.

What should be the biggest selling point for the Series X is Gamepass. That should have a large bearing on someone looking into getting into console gaming for the first time. THe choice on that is second to none, that along with the more powerful system really does make it an easier decision to go for if you're not invested in either ecosystem.

But there is plenty of time to wait and see prcing, launch games etc before making any choice.

The OP didn’t ask for generic differentiation he asked for ‘any’ advice. In fact he listed the sort of story based games he liked, all multi platform and all from developers who will be bringing out Xbox games. I would say that if there’s a first party developer closest to those types of game he listed it’s obsidian (he could test this out by playing the outer worlds now).

I’m not knocking PlayStation studios action adventures- Spider-Man was one of my favourite games of the current gen. But they might not be the OP’s cup of tea. It’s no good to him if he is told to go ps5 for story games but then finds out that it’s the multiplats and avowed, halo, the medium, call of the sea, gears, and fable that suited him best.

So no I don’t agree that multiplats are irrelevant and I do hold that Xbox may be just as good or better for the OP in terms of story games. It really depends on what he likes.

Edit- he might also prefer playing on one pad over the other.

The OP didn’t ask for generic differentiation he asked for ‘any’ advice. In fact he listed the sort of story based games he liked, all multi platform and all from developers who will be bringing out Xbox games. I would say that if there’s a first party developer closest to those types of game he listed it’s obsidian (he could test this out by playing the outer worlds now).

I’m not knocking PlayStation studios action adventures- Spider-Man was one of my favourite games of the current gen. But they might not be the OP’s cup of tea. It’s no good to him if he is told to go ps5 for story games but then finds out that it’s the multiplats and avowed, halo, the medium, call of the sea, gears, and fable that suited him best.

So no I don’t agree that multiplats are irrelevant and I do hold that Xbox may be just as good or better for the OP in terms of story games. It really depends on what he likes.

Edit- he might also prefer playing on one pad over the other.
"I love playing on pc are skyrim, witcher 3, gta, rdr2, anything with a good story and I can take my time with."

All these are 3rd Person games (they do have first person too but are mainly played in 3rd person). I would say FP games are not his thing so not sure Halo would be of interest. As has been said many times that all Sony seem to do its 3rd Person games, so they would be right up his street.

The problem you'll find here (and its expected) is that you ask the question in the Xbox section, you know whats going to be the choice put forward by others.

You'd get the exact same in the PS5 section too.

As I said in my previous post.

What should be the biggest selling point for the Series X is Gamepass. That should have a large bearing on someone looking into getting into console gaming for the first time. THe choice on that is second to none, that along with the more powerful system really does make it an easier decision to go for if you're not invested in either ecosystem.

If it was me, and like I said, you werent invested in either Eco System, then I'd personally go for Xbox and Gamepass.

Best choice overall though would be update the PC and get a PS5. You get it all then :)

Spider-Man, god of war, uncharted, and ratchet and clank are more hurried than Skyrim, Witcher 3, gta and rdr2. These PlayStation titles are less games that you can ‘take your time’ in. Ghost of Tsushima and horizon zero dawn however do have more sedate travelling sections of gameplay but that’s just two titles (expect fable and avowed also to have such ‘taking your time’ elements) I did say that you would be missing out whichever you chose.

I dislike go-to generalisations such as Xbox has the best this or PlayStation has the best that. Gaming is big enough, broad enough, and old enough to recognise the grey areas and avoid the cliches.

New to consoles ? Maybe a xbox series s and gamepass. Likely to be cheapest option with the most games to get started.

As mentioned no bad choices, but with little limited information cheaper and easier is my suggestion, get ps5 later on when the exclusives are out

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom