What to do with single bookshelf speaker

RedCarp

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Through a series of events I find myself in posession of three bookshelf speakers, two right and one left.

What can I do with the extra right speaker, can I use it as a 'mono' output somehow? Or should I either sell it or buy another left speaker to complete the set?

I am currently going for a 3.0 sound system, L, Center and R, as the missus is not keen on full surround. I take it a 4.0 system would sound quite unbalanced.

From time to time many of us end up with surplus equipment. The natural instinct is to try to use it in some way. But common sense says if you think what you've got is already adequate, just leave it as that.
I've a bass speaker from a failed TV sound bar. My first thoughts were, can I incorporate it in my vintage hi-fi? My second thoughts were, why bother it sounds OK?
So the speaker's in my garage...somewhere.

The obvious answer is to use it as the centre speaker then all three across the front would be the same.

The obvious answer is to use it as the centre speaker then all three across the front would be the same.
I think he's already doing that. He bought two pairs, set them up as 3.0 and now has one spare.

4.0 is a valid configuration. As long as you're seated opposite the front pair and not off to an angle a phantom centre can work well. I use a 2.1 system in my living room. We both sit on the couch directly opposite the TV.

4.0 is effectively full surround though as you'd have two front and two rear speakers so I'm not sure you'd get that past Building Control :)

I think he's already doing that. He bought two pairs, set them up as 3.0 and now has one spare.
You are probably right, It depends on how you interpret the post. I took it that he had three L/R speakers and had/or was going to get a separate centre speaker. :)

Apologies for the confusion and thanks for all the replies.

I was going for a 3.0 system to begin with, so I bought 1 Dali Oberon Vokal as centre speaker, and 1 pair of Dali Opticon 2 (Mk1) bookshelf speakers.

There was a mixup with the bookshelf speakers and only one arrived, leaving one lost in the aether at DHL.

Richer Sounds then kindly sent a other pair (now arrived), and they didn't seem to want the single bookshelf speaker back as they have not replied to my follow up emails.

So now I have a center speaker, one L and two R speakers.

Am I best off sourcing another (single) opticon 2 or selling the existing one since I already have a center speaker?

Ignore the wife :thumbsup: and go for a "proper" 5.1 system - you know it makes sense.

So the speaker's in my garage...somewhere.
Don't have a garage I'm afraid, it's probably for the best or I would accumulate more stuff!

4.0 is effectively full surround though as you'd have two front and two rear speakers so I'm not sure you'd get that past Building Control :)
Ignore the wife :thumbsup: and go for a "proper" 5.1 system - you know it makes sense.
John it does make a lot of sense too me, however see above 😅 Maybe I will get it and just bring them out for the big blockbusters she won't want to watch (i.e. various extended edition movies :).

Don't have a garage I'm afraid, it's probably for the best or I would accumulate more stuff!

John it does make a lot of sense too me, however see above 😅 Maybe I will get it and just bring them out for the big blockbusters she won't want to watch (i.e. various extended edition movies :).

Garages are handy. I should know, mine's full of our youngest son's furniture from his second house he's just sold. He's supposed to be buying another one.
I've too much "stuff" anyway. My den...alright,,, the front room has no spare perimeter floor space, so my two vinyl jukeboxes have to live in our summerhouse in my avatar.

I've had a look at one of your videos and it seems peacful and relaxing, that's a nice pagoda you have there. I will be building a shed/workshop in the garden soon too.

I have 4.1 and it sounds fantastic, though you really need a symmetrical setup so the phantom centre works properly.
You can use a single speaker for rear surrounds on a lot of receivers, but I'm not sure you can add a rear surround if you don't have surrounds first.

Use it for a centre, then get some discrete surrounds at some point later would be my suggestion. Then you can repurpose the single as a rear surround and see if it gives more benefit over being a centre.

Just to update I heard back from RS on Friday and they confirmed the speaker would be returned, so no funky sound setups for me :)

Thanks for all your replies, might be useful for someone else down the line.

Currently using a bookshelf as a center myself. It's not the best but it will get you by for now. Pro-Tip...hide the wires and the surrounds and don't tell her ;)

I will say though, 4.0 is a rad way to go if you can pull it off! Cheers from a newer member. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom