What to do with old wedding ring ?

internetuser

Being married, and now divorced..

What do I do with my old wedding ring, it was over 1k I dont expect much but whats the best way to get rid of it ?

v.good condition and hardly used....

FZR400RRSP

Banned
There must be jewellers who buy in your area.
But visit a few, in case the first one is ripping you off.
A big regret of mine is that I didn't ask my first wife for her wedding ring back.:facepalm:
She's either walking around with a £2k ring, courtesy of me.
Or, worse, she sold it herself and pocketed the dough.

PS, my first wedding ring (a cheap gold band) was thrown across a disco floor in Leicester, never to be seen again.:D

Last edited:

internetuser

Aye there is, I see these places in the shopping centres, but thought I would ask here.

I take it its best to try a couple first. Is a big chain better than the little cash for gold things ?

I have both rings, so I should at least get a night on the beer out of it !

I can recommend these guys who do give good prices and won't rip you off

Lois Jewellery Ltd, Scrap Gold Buyers, scrap gold prices, Scrap Gold, Sell Scrap GoldScrap Gold | Scrap Silver | Scrap Gold Prices | Scrap Gold Buyers - Lois Jewellery,

I've used them twice and been well satisfied

Couple of tips

Find out if the ring is 9, 15, 18 carat. This will be engraved on the inside of the band but you'll need a jewellers eye piece to see.
9ct will be marked 375 (parts per thousand gold)
15ct will be marked 625
18ct will be marked 750

Get an accurate weight before sending it away. You can actually buy a digital scale off e-bay for about £10, but a local jeweller will weigh it for you if you ask him how much the ring is worth. The web site will give you the current price per gram for 9/15/18ct

Ensure you send by special delivery fully insured for the correct value

jp_bl_68

^ You seem to know what you're talking about. Would it be worth removing the stones and selling them separately (i.e. sell the gold/platinum etc. as scrap then sell the stones to someone else)? Might you make more money that way?

^ You seem to know what you're talking about. Would it be worth removing the stones and selling them separately (i.e. sell the gold/platinum etc. as scrap then sell the stones to someone else)? Might you make more money that way?

I rather doubt it. For a start, if there are stones in a ring it may actually be worth a dealer selling it complete rather than buying to scrap the gold

Second, many stones, out of a ring are worth very little, and who are you going to get to buy them? The dealer can probably buy new stones for less than you would want

The firm suggested by Blasted and the one I gave a link to will both discuss such a ring on the phone and give you a genuine offer or return. It can help to send a good digital photo by e-mail. I don't think either will give rubbish advice or rip you off like some of those that spend megabucks advertising

D

Deleted member 174041

You got any pics of it? I'm after a ring at the moment.

weetsie

The days of cheap gold bands are long gone. You wouldn't do that these days :laugh::laugh:

($1541/oz and rising)

is that the cost of pure gold or something? that puts gold at nearly $100 a gram, and yet these cash for gold and similar are giving less than £10 a gram

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
I think pure gold is around £25 a gram at the moment.

is that the cost of pure gold or something? that puts gold at nearly $100 a gram, and yet these cash for gold and similar are giving less than £10 a gram

Most bits of gold you sell such as rings and bracelets are as little as one third gold (9ct) because pure gold is too soft to make into jewellery. The rest is base metal to add strength

9ct gold is today fetching around £10.65 per gram

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
What would Indian gold be made up of in terms of carats?

With my upcoming wedding, I can tell you that whatever it is, its bloody expensive!

IronGiant

A quick search suggests 22K ie >91% pure so no wonder it's so expensive...

jenam93

First try and sell it as a ring rather than as a lump of gold. Should be worth more that way.

Use the cash for gold type places as your fall back.

Pure gold is 24ct

Indian gold jewellery is usually much more pure, none of our 9ct stuff there

They tend to start at 15ct, then 18 and sometimes more

(It is of course heavier to wear as a result)

sandstheman

Indian Gold is generally 22ct you'd likely need to ask to get a lower carat rating.

If you looking to sell gold you'd probably be better with prope jewllers and would say even try Indian Jewellers specifically, be hard pushed to find one that doesn't buy old gold.

What would Indian gold be made up of in terms of carats?

With my upcoming wedding, I can tell you that whatever it is, its bloody expensive!

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
sandstheman said:
Indian Gold is generally 22ct you'd likely need to ask to get a lower carat rating.

If you looking to sell gold you'd probably be better with prope jewllers and would say even try Indian Jewellers specifically, be hard pushed to find one that doesn't buy old gold.

They way they work it out is by weight of the items. So I'm guessing they all use a standard type of gold. Currently costs just under £40 a gram but that's once it has been made into an item so includes manufacturing costs as well as their markup.

D

Deleted member 174041

Pure gold is 24ct

Indian gold jewellery is usually much more pure, none of our 9ct stuff there

They tend to start at 15ct, then 18 and sometimes more

(It is of course heavier to wear as a result)

So your saying 18ct Indian gold is purier than 18ct gold we have here? Or are you saying they tend to make jewellery with a higher gold content?

IronGiant

I think he's saying quality Indian jewelry is 22 carat which is a higher purity than the most commonly used quality gold hallmarked in the UK at 18ct.

So your saying 18ct Indian gold is purier than 18ct gold we have here? Or are you saying they tend to make jewellery with a higher gold content?

I'm saying they tend to make and buy jewellery with a higher gold content than we do here

Wherever you are 18ct is 18ct

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom