what to do with old rgb scart connections?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bladesew, Sep 19, 2007.

1. bladesew

bladesew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse the possibly idiot noob nature of this question.

I currently have a bunch of av sources connected to a Pioneer AV receiver with multiple RGB scart connections - I use the receiver as a video switcher as well as a surround sound processor - i.e. 3 RGB scart in - 1 RGB scart out.

I now have some HDMI sources (PS3, upscaling DVD player) and a HD LCD TV and would like a receiver with HDMI switching - however I still have a cable box with RGB scart output which I would like to plug into the receiver. I was looking at the new Onkyo but there is no scart sockets and it looks like my only input option would composite in? Or I would have to use a RGB scart to component cable? Any general recommendations for upgrading to HMDI switching incoporating older connections (I'd also like a box with a turntable phono input which gets rid of my phono preamp)?

2. stringbean

stringbean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm not too sure about the turntable but for the SCART - there are practically no current amps that will accept a SCART connection. You're options (from best to worse) are:

• Use an RGB SCART to component converter
    • Use S-Video
    • Use composite

Out of curiosity what do you have that uses SCART?

3. bladesew

bladesew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I have a Pace Cable set-top box. As far as I remember the only video out options are RGB scart and composite.

The review of the Onkyo 875 in HCC mentioned that a RGB Scart to component converter lead would not work as it "does not support RGB" and the cable "will not work with the component (YPbPr) video inputs on the receiver". I assume this is the case for the other Onkyo receivers, but what about other brands? I really don't want to use composite, despite what the receiver can do to tidy up the picture.

4. karlmc

karlmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    An RGB Scart to Component Lead will not work but a converter will. This is the link to the one I purchased and it works well on my 875.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/rgb-yuv-component-converter.html

5. ashvin

ashvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will that also give 5.1 sound?

I have a virgin media set top box (SD) and the only output is RGB, or optical, the wife loves the sound of the amp, so i need the Audio too...

or should i send the RGB to the screen, and use Optic cable for the sound into the 605?

Please advise...

6. karlmc

karlmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The RGB converter is only Video as component video doesn't carry any sound so you should run the optical as well into the amp. If it's the same as my Onkyo 875, you just need to assign the relevant connections.

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,684
    The converter is picture only. Although the Scart on the Pace will have RGB and stereo sound, the converter only deals with the RGB to component side of things. You still need a method to supply sound to your amp, i.e. your optical output will do that for you.

RGB directly to the screen would work, as would the optical connection. Much depends on whether you want the convenience of your amp doing all the switching to the TV or not. If the Pace is the only RGB and Scart bit of kit you need to connect, I'd just hook it up to your TV directly and select that when you want to watch the Pace.

8. stringbean

stringbean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    For sound just plug the Red/White RCA outs into the corresponding inputs on the 875. This won't give you true 5.1 but the amp will apply ProLogic or DTS Neo6 and output pseudo 5.1 (or 7.1).

While using ProLogic/DTS Neo isn't as good as true 5.1 (which you would only be able to get from SkyHD or Virgin V+) most TV shows are optimised for ProLogic which leads to good results.