1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with new living room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Rob_Quads, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am just about to move into a new house. I am going to be re-decorating the house and making a few changing, the main one being getting the living room sorted for a home theatre.
    BUT I am stuck as to what to do with the main wall. Below is the end wall

[​IMG]

Projector wise I am 90% sure of what I will be doing - going to be sinking it into the room and making it flush like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Due to having the screen its going to mean the centre channel will be mounted on the wall - the problems begin.

As the chimney breast is not in the middle, the centre speaker is going to sit offset on it making it look a bit silly. Also as the centre speaker is there the normal viewing TV needs to be in the middle as well. So what should I do?

1) Just put an LCD on the wall off-centre?
    2) Remove the fireplace and put my normal TV in the middle
    3) Stud wall either side of the chimney and place LCD in middle above centre speaker
    4) Stud wall either side of the chimney and put the TV (28" CRT) on the floor under centre speaker
    5) Stud wall along whole wall and place LCD in middle flushed to wall bolted to chimney breast.

Stud walling the sides would also help me hide the cabling i need to run up the wall to the Projector/(LCD)

Any thoughts, ideas etc.

2. sy278

sy278

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Partial stud the side of the chimney breast that is more open to even it out, this will also give you somewhere to run cables up.

3. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yeah thats the sort of thing I have been going towards. Basicly stud wall it to make the chimney look like its in the middle of the room.

Remove the fire, put a small cubby hole thing about 12" from the floor to act as a feature with an ornament of some kind in then the LCD on the wall with te centre speaker behind

4. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Think you might have a boiler behind that fire, looks similar to one I had in my house, ended up ripping it all out and putting a combi boiler in kitchen, this then would leave a you a big hole to put your equipment in. If I'm wrong I'd put stud up and hang the LCD on the fireplace, but you may then have a problem with using the fire.

5. Rob_Quads

Rob_Quads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    nah the boiler is in the kitchen. It is purely a fireplace. The existing owners have not used it in the last year (althought it has been serviced etc) so I am swaying to removing it. I have one like it in the house I am renting and it just has a small exhaust vent on the other side of the room ~ 4" pipe.

6. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Then rip it out and use the fireplace for your gear and TV :thumbsup: