What to do with my original Xbox when I get the 360?

tobyjuggler

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking my Xbox will become a bit superfluous once I've got my 360 and have an idea what I might do with it afterwards, but was wondering what other people were planning for their Xbox after they get the 360. So what ideas do you have?

I'm considering turning it into a media centre. To be honest though, I haven't got a clue how to go about it and am not even sure there's any point if I have the 360. Is there any point? If there is what's the best way of going about it?

Well if the X360 doesn't play divx it may be a reason to keep your xbox. Can anyone confirm whether the media centre on the X360 will allow playback of divx/xvid?

I have two xboxes, will probably keep one and give the other one away to one of my mates

I will trade in my orignal xbox for xbox360. willbe worth little more at launch of 360.

tobyjuggler said:
I'm considering turning it into a media centre. ...

You haven't already What DO you use your Xbox for!?? :D

Xbox was made on a sub-concious level to be a media center. Do it, you won't look back :thumbsup:

As far as I can guess it's unlikely MS (X360) will support all the newer better codecs that are based on bastardised versions of AVI. The X360 will not be the media center MS claim it to be, certainly not better than XBMC is on an XBox. For a starters, you can't stream movies from a PC file (or any SMB system for that matter) onto a 360 unless it comes from a Media Center PC.

I will use my X360 for gaming and continue to use my two XBMC xbox's as media centers for my movie/music stores.

If you want to know more then you really need to look at www.xbox-scene.com and www.xboxmediacenter.com.

Basically, and this is VERY basic, you would chip the xbox, maybe put a bigger hard disk in it and then put Xbox Media Center (XBMC) on it.

Good luck!

Monty - can you recommend any hard drives >160GB? I'm in the process of modding mine and have fit a Xenium Spice chip with X2 5035 bios. Any ideas?

Tejstar said:
Monty - can you recommend any hard drives >160GB? I'm in the process of modding mine and have fit a Xenium Spice chip with X2 5035 bios. Any ideas?

Not really, never used Xenium Chips. The biggest ive heard of being fitted is 250 but, I believe with newer firmware for your BIOS it may be even higher.

Again, for real expert help, Xbox-Scene is the only way to fly.

*edit* Oh and if you do ask for recommendations, if noise is a factor put this in as well. When I fitted the smaller of these boxes for some reason I can REALLY hear the disk on the smaller box! No idea why .....

Microsoft have said the only videos the 360 will be able to play will be WMV ones, so no divx i'm afraid.

Have just read that Gamestation are offering £70 trade in for an XBOX and 2 games against a 360 but only really helpful if you have pre-ordered with them I guess.

holtehero said:
I have two xboxes, will probably keep one and give the other one away to one of my mates

Why not trade in one of them at game for £50 and get another game for the 360.

Indiana Jones said:
Have just read that Gamestation are offering £70 trade in for an XBOX and 2 games against a 360 but only really helpful if you have pre-ordered with them I guess.

cool :thumbsup: got mine pre-ordered at gamestation
any link to where you read that?

kev

Well, after reading this thread, I'll be keeping my modded Xbox. Typical Microsoft trying to force their file standard on us with their .wmv. I'm betting you can only play .wma files too.

I`m definately keeping my modded box. Where can you get a media centre with these capabilities for £100 ?

Its going in the bedroom, I have a wireless controller and headphones :)

Craigy Boy said:
Microsoft have said the only videos the 360 will be able to play will be WMV ones, so no divx i'm afraid.

Thx for confirming that. A big letdown imo. :(

Mine is going in the bedroom when the 360 takes it's place in the living room.

I'm definately keeping mine, once i've got the 360 I don't have to worry about it getting banned on live so I can leave it connected to the online network 27/7. I'll just use to store music, emulators etc as well.

kev00 said:
cool :thumbsup: got mine pre-ordered at gamestation
any link to where you read that?

kev
Someone posted in an another forum after seeing adverts for it up in their local store and someone else has confirmed it at their local.

You can't even stream HD WMV files (due to no HDCP compliant cables), so your stuck with only being able to stream standard .wmv files and only from a Media Center PC. In other words the media functions are all but useless, you can't stream any videos from USB devices either which is a bot rubbish. They've killed something that could have been a great feature, and a system seller.

brain_stew said:
You can't even stream HD WMV files (due to no HDCP compliant cables), so your stuck with only being able to stream standard .wmv files and only from a Media Center PC. In other words the media functions are all but useless, you can't stream any videos from USB devices either which is a bot rubbish. They've killed something that could have been a great feature, and a system seller.
HDCP is an encryption and is used on HDTV and will be used on HD-DVD when released. Its not the cables that decode HDCP it is the device they are attached to FYI.
I have quite a few HD-WMV clips and they play perfectly streaming or run from disk.
I can even get my xbox to play some of the lower quality HD-WMV clips using the official media center extender software.
So odds are that the xbox 360 will be able to play all WMV footage and possibly TS files as standard. You are forgetting once the xbox is moddable it will unlock a whole new 360 just as it has done for the original xbox.

richard plumb said:
going to keep mine for media centre duties.
here here :)
I own 2 xbox units now one for bedroom, one for games room I may sell one of them when the xbox 360 comes along but defiantely keeping 1 for MCE duties :)
The old xbox is still the best value system divx/xvid upscales DVDs to 720p and 1080i cant fault it :)

I don't use my modded xboxes media capabilities, I was planning on moving it to the kitchen or bedroom and linking it to the 360 for multi player ability

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom