What to do with my garage...

x3j3UKN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some inspiration as to what I could do with my Garage.

Current usage of the garage is primarily a dumping ground, although I do have the kids bikes in there & my eldest goes in and out each day for his paper round. I could, in theory out his bike in the shed, but that would impact him quite a bit as right now he can literally jump out of bed, and be on his round in no time.

I would like to retain usage of the front part of the garage (at least temporarily) so he can get his bike in and out, and then maybe get a stud wall built to partition off the remaining 80% of the garage. It is connected to the house & accessed via the utility room, so no need for another entrance. Right now I am not too fussed about having no natural light in there.

I would like to use the space as a home office (temp use not every day) somewhere to permanently store & setup my decks (Mid life crisis??) and make it fairly warm so its not tracking the outside temp like it does now!

If I got someone to build a stud wall, what sort of cost would that be?

If we actually use the garage more after this mini 'conversion' then I would consider getting the garage door bricked up & having a window in, but realistically finances wouldnt allow this for a couple of years i'd say.

What would you guys do??

Would a stud wall literally give you want you? Is there anything above the garage? If not, you will need to insulate that as well. Got any more info on the layout position of the garage with relation to the rest of the house? I have an attached garage, but it has nothing above it, so even with the stud I have already put behind the garage door, it is still freezing. To convert it properly, I still need to insulate the roof and put a stud wall on the single skin wall to insulate as well, but mine is currently just a pain cave until we extend.

Would a stud wall literally give you want you? Is there anything above the garage? If not, you will need to insulate that as well. Got any more info on the layout position of the garage with relation to the rest of the house? I have an attached garage, but it has nothing above it, so even with the stud I have already put behind the garage door, it is still freezing. To convert it properly, I still need to insulate the roof and put a stud wall on the single skin wall to insulate as well, but mine is currently just a pain cave until we extend.
To be fair, im expecting it to remain quite cold in all honesty.

I have a pitch roof above that I could possibly insualte? However, its the old flat roof of the garage, when the utility room was added to the back of the garage, a pitched roof was build above it. It literally just rests on the old garage roof (caused a leak when we first moved in as the old felt had rotted away & there was water coming in off the porch onto the garage roof) thats been sorted now, but ive not been up it for about 6 years!!

So I guess I could insualte (as long as its still dry) but with it being single skinned, the exposed wall will remain cold anyway (unless I stud it & insulate I guess?)

To be fair, im expecting it to remain quite cold in all honesty.

I have a pitch roof above that I could possibly insualte? However, its the old flat roof of the garage, when the utility room was added to the back of the garage, a pitched roof was build above it. It literally just rests on the old garage roof (caused a leak when we first moved in as the old felt had rotted away & there was water coming in off the porch onto the garage roof) thats been sorted now, but ive not been up it for about 6 years!!

So I guess I could insualte (as long as its still dry) but with it being single skinned, the exposed wall will remain cold anyway (unless I stud it & insulate I guess?)
Yeah anything single skin will be cold unless you build a stud to insulate it. Plus the flooring. Mine is concrete and I have just put office carpet tiles (rubber backed ones that I got free from work when they changed the carpet), and that has helped with the walk on feel.
If you can insulate the roof, definitely to that. All the heat escapes that way.

Yeah anything single skin will be cold unless you build a stud to insulate it. Plus the flooring. Mine is concrete and I have just put office carpet tiles (rubber backed ones that I got free from work when they changed the carpet), and that has helped with the walk on feel.
If you can insulate the roof, definitely to that. All the heat escapes that way.
Didnt think of the floor! :facepalm: Thats concrete & will be cold!

Did you do the stud yourself or pay someone? if the latter, how much roughly was it? Ive no chance of doing it myself! :laugh:

You may have to comply with building regs, to change the use of a garage to a habital space. Have a look at my thread below. A stud wall isn't that difficult to build if you have reasonable diy skills. It will need insulation, as will the floor. The floor can be a floating floor; insulation like Celotex covered with chipboard flooring.

We have a garage at the bottom of the garden that was boarded and insulated by the previous owner, he had it as a gym, during the first lockdown in March 2020 I turned it into a home workshop, then by June id accumulated pallets and bits of wood, we replaced the TV in the lounge and bought a bigger fridge for the kitchen, a bar was born, didn't cost me a penny, shoved an old PS4 in there for games and sky TV, we've had many a good laugh in there over summer, I'm about to partition some of it off for storage this week, beside that its great.

20200805_145926.jpg

We have a garage at the bottom of the garden that was boarded and insulated by the previous owner, he had it as a gym, during the first lockdown in March 2020 I turned it into a home workshop, then by June id accumulated pallets and bits of wood, we replaced the TV in the lounge and bought a bigger fridge for the kitchen, a bar was born, didn't cost me a penny, shoved an old PS4 in there for games and sky TV, we've had many a good laugh in there over summer, I'm about to partition some of it off for storage this week, beside that its great.

View attachment 1454068
Love it! Got any more pictures of the garage?

I like the idea of the boards! got me thinking that has

Love it! Got any more pictures of the garage?

I like the idea of the boards! got me thinking that has
Slightly better picture, its just OSB chip board, was really well done whoever did it, the garage is currently a tip, my parents are moving and lots of there stuff is being stored in there for a few weeks.

20200809_124805.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom