1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with IPOD Mini??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Demon, Sep 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    As luck would have it, I have won an IPOD mini in the Walkers promotion.. :clap:

I'd urge people to enter this competition via the web if you have any packets of walker crisps lying around.. My work mate has also won one (on the first day!)..

But.. what do I do with it.. Suggestions please...

I already have an Archos Gmini 402, which is superb, and I don't really want to flog it on ebay.. I'm just not that much into profiteering..

All I've thought of so far..
    1. Give it to the missus... although she never really listens to music
    2. Keep it and give it to my daughter when she is old enough to start listening to music through headphones (About 1 year away)
    3. Just keep it for myself..
    4. Auction it for charity..
    5. Keep it for a xmas prezzie, but then which neice/nephew would get it??? and imagine the commotion it would cause..

so please, give me some sensible/not-so sensible ideas on what to do with it!!

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    How old is your daughter?

3. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +867
    I bet Walkers would have delayed this comp and used Nano's if they had known about the nao release.

4. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wouldnt it be more like, they used the minis to get rid of iPods stock of them, to ready the space for the nano

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Give it to me :rotfl: :cool: ;)

6. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactely! Remember this deal is between Walkers and Apple and Apple knew all along that the iPod Mini would be scrapped. All the more reason why they should be given away for free.

Did you for a second think that Apple would be giving away a Nano every 5 minutes for a month?? And this is why I hate Apple even more now. What a cheap shot! The commercial and marketing value of having a picture of an iPod on every packet of Walkers crisps sold in the UK for a month is incalculable compared to the cost of giving 288 iPod Mini's away per day.

It is a very clever way of giving a dead product line a huge publicity boost and to help them shift those last few thousand units lying about in stores and warehouses.

7. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just emailed in about 20 codes from the multipack i just bought, never won a thing...i think i will try at about 3 this morning, i should have abetter chance then

8. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +867
    From Appe's point of view yes, but I don't believe Walkers would have had a clue about the nano.

9. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    On the contrary, I expect the reason they are running this comp is because they got a really good price on a job lot of iPod minis.

10. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Maybe, but theres absolutely no chance that anyone at Apple would even hint to Walkers that a new product was in the pipeline.

The internals of Apple work in such a way that very few people actually know about the specifics of an up and coming product so its highly unlikey that anyone at Apple working as part of the Walkers promotion would even have an inkling that a new product was on the horizon.

Having worked for Apple in the past, you come to realise how tight they are on the whole secrecy thing.

11. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's get this straight. Who says Walkers paid? Apple is the customer here.

Apple is buying brand awareness via crisp packets. As far as I can tell, it's getting a couple of hundred million viewings for Apple that won't be fast-forwarded or ignored because the adjacent editorial is more interesting, and the ipods only cost around £120,000. If the ipods is all Apple is supplying, then Walkers are pretty dumb. At a first guess, if I were Walkers, I'd be asking for a million quid or two as well as free iPods. Each viewing is worth a significant fraction of a penny to Apple, meaning the whole campaign is worth a significant fraction of a couple of million quid. The fact that it sells more crisps is a bonus for Walkers. But so would other promotions - it's the captive audience that's worth the money.

12. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure how any of these competitions work but I would not have thought anybody paid anything. Walkers sponsor the advertising space and Apple sponsor the prizes - both benefit inmeasurably from this partnership...