What to do with Front Garden

x3j3UKN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All, after a bit of inspiration and motivation! :thumbsup:

We have a fairly small front garden, no fence, old slab path leading to the front door. It is grassed at the moment but as the kids have gotten older and their bikes are used more and more this grass has worn away in quite big patches. It also doesn't get much sun throughout the day and is fairly sodden during heavy rain.

What would you do to it as we really need to revamp it. I want to sell the house within the next 12 months so would like minimal spend with maximum impact!!

Minimal spend, cover the grass with gravel.
Wouldn't even need to dig it up, just put some barrier cloth down and then stones on top, the grass underneath will just die.
Then scatter some shrubs/pots around to break it up.
If you buy pots, you can take them with you when you move.
You get some nice gravel/stone chips, they don't have to be grey, you get really nice purple looking slate chips etc.
If you were staying, fake grass.

Last edited:
One hint, get big enough gravel\chippings so it doesn't wedge in your shoe tread. We used to bring all ours indoors

With regard to the slab path, you can get surprisingly good results from just flipping the slabs over and giving them a jetwash.
They'll come up looking better than jetwashing the sides that have been open to the elements for years.

One hint, get big enough gravel\chippings so it doesn't wedge in your shoe tread. We used to bring all ours indoors

20mm gravel seems about right so as not to get stuck in tyre treads or through the house.

Just had our drive done with a couple of block paths and 20mm gravel. It looks good to me (even if there is still a skip on it!)

There's nothing quite like a neatly trimmed front garden...

Now where did I leave my coat...

we need to do our front garden/ drive done, trying to find the cheapest way to do and looks like gravel may be the trick.

The drive has a slope and so I think the concrete may need digging out unless I can layer over the top and have it fixed somehow. need to get this done before i can get garage doors ordered and fitted.

I will snap a picture for you all to see later if I remember....

My worry about just laying gravel down on top is the gravel 'escaping' but I suppose this could be remedied with some fencing??

Also we have a wheelie bin on the front garden, would it just drag all the gravel up??

With regard to the slab path, you can get surprisingly good results from just flipping the slabs over and giving them a jetwash.
They'll come up looking better than jetwashing the sides that have been open to the elements for years.

Before you go to the trouble of flipping them over, try pressure washing them first. I've been in my house 12 years and they had never been done during my ownership, possibly not since 1970 when it was built. I used my fine nozzle on a basic Nilfisk machine and they literally came up like new in about 15 minutes.

I'll have to start my own thread at some point since I want to revamp my front garden and pretty much all the links I find show back gardens. I want rid of the grass too, but don't want it all gravel as it's quite an area and would look like a car park.

Best of luck OP. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom