What to do with Fixed Ylod PS3 ?

snubnose33

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my launch day 60 gig Ps3 died on me last month, (the day the network died, how ironic ! )

I bought a replacement 160 gig from Sainsbury's the next day.

I was initially tempted to go down the SOGA claim route , as inspired by others on here. When i looked into it i just couldnt be arsed with all the letter writing and waiting around.:rolleyes:

I started researching videos on you tube on how to fix it. Once i was armed with the knowledge , i acquired a heatgun of somebody and began to fix it !

The thing works perfect now , i even managed to affix the warranty seal , so it doesnt look like its been tampered with.

However now i am in the predicament where i have two machines and i only need one. I intend on keeping the slim.

Whats my best bet ?

I have been doing some research and it seems that the high street stores are inundated with an excess of Ps 3's due to the whole network being down fiasco.

A month ago HMV were offering £125 store credit and £90 cash

today they are offering £100 store credit and £65 cash.

Thirty odd pound drop in a month , thats not down to depreciation thats for sure !!!

Game/Gamestation - not even worth bothering with £50 cash and £90 store credit.

CEX- i couldnt get a contact number for my local branch and could not find the info out on their website. Anyone know how much they go for in there ? (cash only)

I do not know whether to leave it for awhile until demand picks back up.

Or shall i try to sell it privately?

As ridiculous as this sounds i have never used e-bay/online auction types - be it for selling or buying. Im aware it is pretty straightforward but im unaware as to what the process is for selling electrical goods . Do e-bay offer a warranty for the prospective buyer? or is that down to the seller ?

The reason why i ask is , from an ethical point of view i dont feel right selling a repaired machine that could go kaput in a month to some poor soul out there. But if they are covered by ebay then i am not so bothered with it as at least they will get their money back if it goes bang again.

Or is it a question of sold as seen on these online auctions ?

I know id easily be able to get £120 for it on ebay which is double what id get from the best high street offer at the moment.

I am only prepared to do this if there is some warranty for the buyer as i am not one to rip anybody off...technically i wont be as it works fine now but Im sure you get where i am coming from as i wouldn't want any repercussions either from the seller.

Whats the best option for me ? to wait it out and see if the high street picks up or to put it on ebay and take a chance ?

I appreciate any input.

You say launch day 60GB so I assume it's the model with BC etc.

CEX currently offer for a mint boxed version £82 cash or £110 store credit: CeX (UK) Gaming, Games Consoles, Playstation3 Consoles, Playstation3 60GB Boxed (PS2 Comp.)

Or their discounted prices (if it's a bit scratched) are £80 cash or £108 store credit: CeX (UK) Gaming, Games Consoles, Playstation3 Consoles, Playstation3 60GB Discounted (PS2 Comp.)

I did exactly the same as you and I opted to trade in for cash at CEX because, although working fine, I didn't want to lumber someone else with it if it did break again. At least whoever buys of CEX get it with a warranty. It was a while ago though and I got more than that. Not sure but maybe the bottom has dropped out of the prices due to the recent PSN issues (who would want to buy a PS3 in the past couple of weeks and not be able to get online?). So maybe teh prices will go back up again if you want another week or so? Not sure obviously, but may be worth a bit of patience :smashin:

If you have a Gamestation & CEX in the same town/city then GS will pricemach & beat it by £1 either Cash or store credit.As long as you print off the CEX page to give to them.
CEX will really examine it to try and mark it a Discounted.
GS hardly check anything too much.(I traded in a 360 and they didn't even turn it on)
The risk you have now is trade it now or wait to see if the prices rise now PSN is back up.
Selling it privately "Sold as seen" "YLOD Repair" might be the most ethical thing to do but buying anything second hand can be a risk.

Give it a proper burial!! :thumbsup:

Dig a grave, plant a flag, write a eulogy---or get one online!!:laugh:

Feaviolp - thanks for that, i must not have looked properly on their site. Mine is what i would deem to be mint, all the original packaging is present , including wrapping. The fascia isnt scratched it is pretty much in top nick overall.

SirLister - Funny enough the gamestation and Cex are right next door to each other in my local town. Shall i just print the page from the CEX website and take it to them or would i need to get something on paper from the branch in question in order for gamestation to math the price. Either way mate cheers for the heads up on that.

I think i may bide my time a bit on this , perhaps a week or two would be sufficient. Although a part of me is tempted to cut my losses and get shot of it ASAP.

Ill let you know what happens,

Thanks again for your information gang.

LoL Revanclaw !

Just print off the latest price from the CEX website.
If you have the box get the "Boxed price"
If not print the "Unboxed" price and not the "discounted" price.
That is all they need at my local GS.

snubnose33 said:
The reason why i ask is , from an ethical point of view i dont feel right selling a repaired machine that could go kaput in a month to some poor soul out there. But if they are covered by ebay then i am not so bothered with it as at least they will get their money back if it goes bang again.

Or is it a question of sold as seen on these online auctions ?
Unless you're a business seller, goods are all "sold as seen" on eBay, or more accurately "as described". If you don't mention that it's a YLOD repair and it dies, if the seller then finds out that it has already been repaired, they could put in a claim to get their money back from you (and the refund comes from you, not from eBay). If you do mention that it's a YLOD repair, then they're buying it at their own risk.

Will CEX accept a repaired model if the warranty sticker has been removed?

Will CEX accept a repaired model if the warranty sticker has been removed?

Yep :smashin:

Well actually let me clarify that... CEX accepted mine and it was repaired so didn't have the warranty sticker, and I'd alreayd heard that they didn't check which is why I took it to them, but I guess you could still get unlucky and find a store that does reject it due to the sticker. Should be fine though.

Also note that they will want to do a full test of it before they pay you (fair enough) and in my store there was one guy who did the testing, and since he wasn't there on the day I took it in I had to leave it there for a couple of days so it could be tested. I did have the option of bringing it back on the day he was in so it's not like I HAD to leave it, but the point I'm making is if you take it in without calling ahead first you may not be able to get your money straight away.

No CEX will not take anything with a removed it tampered warranty sticker on anything

They even refused to take in a laptop of mine because I had added extra RAM and had to break the seal on the back to do so.

All CEX stores are x directory and don't publish their store numbers anywhere

You must have been lucky taking a PS3 in with no warranty seal on it my stores Leicester are really vigilant with everything they take in.

Last edited:
Sir lister is correct, CEX tend to be very meticulous looking for the slightest excuse to mark the items value down.
My local CEX stated they would need to test the machine for a minimum of one hour, this kind of put me off from going to them. Simply due to the fact that with mine being a YLOD repair,knowing my luck,what if it went tits up whilst they were testing it! Id be truly buggered then !

So for me it is gamestation all the way, They will price match CEX and i know they wont be as thorough in testing !

On a side note ive noticed that the value of used Ps3's is steadily creeping up, CEX were offering £82 in cash a fortnight ago and now their website has them offering £84 . So i am tempted to hang on for a bit to see if it will keep on increasing to somewhere near what they were offering pre-outage.

A good thing i checked this, as i was about to get rid of it today, ill just nip down and be done with LA Snore ... i mean La Noire !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom