"what to do , what to do"

E

eyeoforion

I am in quandry as to what to do , i want to buy my first pj. Living in uk and intending to watch R2 dvd maybe odd DVB as well. I have dismissed the gammet of 480p entry level projectors that are now available. Ideally budget allowing i would go for 1280x720p (WXGA) but my budget will only stretch to say £700 MAX. With the prospect of HDTV now becoming common place and the subsequent hd dvd technologies on the horizon. Should i wait foir 1280x720 DLP to come down in price or plump for 1280X720 LCD?? from what i read the DLP is superior for home cinema use. What about going for XGA DLP or the 1024X576 range available (like the sharp 201?) Is the difference between 720p and 576p going to make me feel that i should have waited longer to dive in. I would be using it to make a big screen say 100" at least and watching from 3m (10ft) in our lounge . Any assistance would be appreciated . confused and in a a tiz.... eyeoforion

At the size you're talking about resolution really does make a big difference*.. so go for a 720p if you can get one (heck, save up and get a 1080p in 6 months if you can..)

OTOH if you're really stuck with a cheaper projector, people rate the Benq W100 highly.

* Assuming HD sources of course..

The current crop LCD projectors are very good and no longer have a major weakness in black level and the pictures are brilliant for the money.

The ae900 is a steal for the money, having good blacks and contrast with zero screendoor and a native HD res.

but its still too much 4 me at the moment. i still think maybe the sharp xv201 is a possibility although maybe i could buy an xga pj and watch widescreen on that ?? what about the infocus 5000 thats full hd lcd but suffers maybe from video processing its only £666 from pixmania.
Also any one know a good place for me to see projectors going in yorkshire area (around leeds)

Are there any maufactures i should avoid as bulb prices are very high??

I was in the same position as you, didn't want to spend the £900+ going rate for a HD LCD, but I felt the Infocus 5000 was still a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't seem that great, noisy too. And Pixmania are pretty awful.

Ended up buying a 2nd hand TX200 from ebay.

If you're considering a 576 line model then the 5700's on ebay at £695 would be my first choice, faroudja processing, whisper quiet etc still being sold for £1500+

as per my previous question how does the screenplay 5000 cope with 576p??? and also can someone recommend particularly any places offering mailorder projectors at good prices

Make sure any PJ you're considering can actually produce a 100" image from 3m. Quite a few can't manage this. Its more of an issue with DLP's than LCD's.
You may need to reconsider the size of the screen.

Jammyb said:
I was in the same position as you, didn't want to spend the £900+ going rate for a HD LCD, but I felt the Infocus 5000 was still a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't seem that great, noisy too. And Pixmania are pretty awful.

Ended up buying a 2nd hand TX200 from ebay.

If you're considering a 576 line model then the 5700's on ebay at £695 would be my first choice, faroudja processing, whisper quiet etc still being sold for £1500+

you can get a Infocus 7205 for around £1,200 atm if you hunt around, and i'm talking from a dealer, not just ebay, some are new, some are refurbs....i'm sure a 5700 could be had for under £1,000 by now even new/refurb.....personally i'd save up for the 7205, cracking DLP PJ for the money.....i paid £2,700 for mine and well chuffed...lol

(sometimes its worth waiting a bit longer to get something that will truly make you happy rather than getting something now to make do but may end up being a bit of a waste of money when you need it to do other things...ie HD)

Actually i have since learned a new contender is about to be launched and i am very interested the optoma HD70 720p DLP. By my calculations projector at 11.5 ft will give around 86-88 inch diagonal image (throw ratio is 1.6-1.9) is this correct . Any comments are the bulb prices more or less than other manufacturers>>

out of interest how would the Infocus 7205 stack up against some of the newer models such as the infocus IN76 or the Optoma HD72i?

If a Infocus 7205 can now be found for around £1200+ then that brings into the range of both the IN76 (£1499) and the HD72i (£1399 from comet).

cannot understand the ill feeling towards the sp5000..i have had one for several months and am well pleased with it.It gives a superb picture(esp now i have skyhd) and is not really noisy at all...its easy to set up and gives off good pq even in ambient light.I have mine in a room with a conservartory on the back and only when its really sunny do i have a problem.In total darkness it is excellent.
As for pixmania.well people slag them off but i thought they were excellent.I ordered mine on a weds and it was here on the thursday!!good tracking system too.It arrived very well packaged with instruction book in english!AND it was only £666...cheaper by far than anywhere else!!!
Sure you can get better if you want to pay lots of money but for the price i would think you would be hard pushed to.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom